UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Times Union coverage

statefan

Some will read more into this question than I am intending, but, my question is this:

Is Mark Singelais the Times Union beat reporter for all UAlbany athletics or just for Men's basketball?

The reason I ask this is that I was surprised that he did not cover the Hofstra football game on Saturday. It was an in-state opponent and a game that was predicted to be competative despite the differential in scholarships and a game that we now have heard Coach Ford call one of his ten greatest victories. Even before we knew the result, it seemed to be a compelling story line.

What did Mr. Singelais cover on Saturday for Sunday's paper ? - a Jim Rice autograph show at the Polish Community Center

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some will read more into this question than I am intending, but, my question is this:

Is Mark Singelais the Times Union beat reporter for all UAlbany athletics or just for Men's basketball?

The reason I ask this is that I was surprised that he did not cover the Hofstra football game on Saturday. It was an in-state opponent and a game that was predicted to be competative despite the differential in scholarships and a game that we now have heard Coach Ford call one of his ten greatest victories. Even before we knew the result, it seemed to be a compelling story line.

What did Mr. Singelais cover on Saturday for Sunday's paper ? - a Jim Rice autograph show at the Polish Community Center

Mark is to busy blogging about Tiki Mayben and how he's doing at Bingo. But yet can't put a blog entry together telling us that we have a verbal from a recruit. Call it what you will but the lack of coverage of UA athletics by the TU is shameful. They've placed all of their eggs in the Siena basket, whoring them around like it nobodies business. Whats the TU's excuse? Is the UA beat writer still at the track? Someone should tell him the meet has been over for a while now, he can come back to the office!

Good luck with this discussion. I've come to the conclusion that it is going to take UA doing something drastic to get media coverage. Like Philips barging his way into an editorial meeting or something like that.

Lets face it. The TU has a financial interest in promoting Siena. It will promote UA basketball because it will sell more tickets at the Siena/UA game.

Go ask him in his blog (which he loves to respond to by the way) why he isn't covering UA football anymore.

He'll likely blame it on me and the fact that I've hurt his feelings over the years by calling out his lack of coverage.

Danefan has it right. They have a financial interest in promoting the aints.

The TU has been consumed and obsessed with the aints for a long time, and the unrealistic dream that their one sport college's bb team would amount to something... the classic example of a 'follower'. It's like a drug addict refusing to admit that its got a problem and might be dilusional.

To be honest, television coverage means much more to me. To be even more honest, I've always thought that the TU was a wannabe newspaper.

It's too bad that when the time comes that UAlbany is winning FCS championships, that people who refused to give us the proper attention will be allowed into the stadium. Watch them start jumping on the band wagon over the next few years, pretending like it's their beloved team. People that didn't help fight for a stadium or didn't support the only REAL college football in the Region.

I cancelled my subscription a while ago. The TU called me last night to restart a subscription at a reduced rate, but I told them I won't renew as long as UA athletics are covered so poorly.

Good for you. I pretty much told the guy they hired to pimp that paper at a booth at River rats games and concerts in the Knick the same thing when I stopped laughing at him. He was trying to sell me a subscription to that rag.

I cancelled my subscription a while ago. The TU called me last night to restart a subscription at a reduced rate, but I told them I won't renew as long as UA athletics are covered so poorly.

Good for you. I pretty much told the guy they hired to pimp that paper at a booth at River rats games and concerts in the Knick the same thing when I stopped laughing at him. He was trying to sell me a subscription to that rag.

I've had the same encounter....probably the same guy. Told him to go pound salt.

"* And last but not least, a shoutout to us over here at the TU: From September through this past May, the Times Union ran 323 stories related to Siena athletics. According to Siena, 133 of those stories appeared on the front page."

http://blogs.timesunion.com/collegesports/?p=947#comments

..in case anyone missed that

Can anyone tell me the last time UAlbany football was prominently placed in the TU sports page print edition?

Serious question. I don't read the print edition because I'd have to pay for it. I won't do that until they support UA.

Today's story (see the Hofstra thread) was on page one, but on the bottom of the page with a picture of the celebration (which they got from the UA Athletics web site), and a b/w pic of the winning touchdown on page 3 (also taken by Brian DePasquale). Below stories of the Cowboys, Red Sox, and the ex-Siena pitcher beating the Mets. If you want to call that prominent.

But it was toward the bottom of the online stories list.

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of on this topic, The Pearl was raided Friday night, 47 arrests for underage drinking. Owner Tim Rankins I believe is an Albany alum and the basketball team has had year-end banquets there. The T-U story said a 'a local college provided bus transportation' for students to the Pearl, so I was a little concerned, but realized if it had been UAlbany they would have had it in the headline. Today's column by Fred LeBrunconfirms that it was from Siena where the bus came, and a Siena employee who notified the DA.

Sort of on this topic, The Pearl was raided Friday night, 47 arrests for underage drinking. Owner Tim Rankins I believe is an Albany alum and the basketball team has had year-end banquets there. The T-U story said a 'a local college provided bus transportation' for students to the Pearl, so I was a little concerned, but realized if it had been UAlbany they would have had it in the headline. Today's column by Fred LeBrunconfirms that it was from Siena where the bus came, and a Siena employee who notified the DA.

Funny thing that because it was $iena community college, they were only referred to as a 'local college' , one that transports its students by bus to get them drunk at community venues.

Archived