UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Getting closer to a new SUNY Chancelor?

Classof72/74

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UA just can't catch a break. We don't need a Chancellor with UB ties.

I hope we get the out of state candidate. I hope we get anyone other than a UB crony.

The new chancellor has to come from somewhere. Right now, I'd be surprised to get a great candidate. if you were one, would you want the NY job? Given the current climate, I think not. This search should have been completed a long time ago.

The new chancellor has to come from somewhere. Right now, I'd be surprised to get a great candidate. if you were one, would you want the NY job? Given the current climate, I think not. This search should have been completed a long time ago.

I think this is a great opportunity for the state to get "fresh" eyes on the SUNY system. Someone with no ties to NY or the SUNY system may end up being the best thing available. Perhaps that means they get someone with less experience, but maybe that's what the SUNY system needs.

i'd like to think that any candidate would be an advocate for the system, and would treat campuses equitably.

I would hope so. I suppose the SUNY/CUNY $$ allocation is more a function of what the NYS Legislature decides (I think it's 60/40 now); on the other hand, SUNY/CUNY/the Chancellor probably puts in some sort of budget request, so that 60/40, which is moving more and more in favor of CUNY in recent years, is not without influence from the Chancellor and his/her agents.

Zimpher will be a good choice, in my opinion (from what I have been able to research this morning).

Zimpher has some class to get rid of Bob Huggins because she wanted to upgrade the caliber of the students and academics at U of Cinn (the Bearcats btw) and his DUI didn't help either.

("Saying that the decision to oust Huggins was not based on Huggins' DUI conviction last year or any single factor, she emphasized that Huggins' players had not met academic standards."

She also said it was important to improve the reputation of the university, and that she expected coaches and players to be role models.

"Character counts. Our coaches must be exemplary role models, on the court and off. Our student athletes are highly visible ambassadors for the University of Cincinnati. They must be expected to treat others with respect and to recognize that they, too, are role models," Zimpher said.

"We make no apologies for setting high standards," Zimpher said.")

**Maybe she would do the same for Broadus and get rid of another Bearcat coach lol (though that's the President's job not the Chancellor).

Her bio shows that involved with only public schools which is good. Her bio if anyone cares: http://www.uc.edu/president/biography.html

I like everything you wrote about her, MsGDG. I also like the fact that, when the economy is better, we can point to the tremendous student-athletes we have at Albany that are as good, if not better, than our brethren. Then we can pt to our crap facilities.

FYI, she was around for the Nippert Stadium Expansion at Cincy...so she knows just how much a stadium can raise school spirits.

ME LIKEY!

Excellent choice. I fully back that selection. Welcome aboard!

Since this is a UAlbany athletic board, let me stay on that note. I like the fact that she has spent almost all of her life at major D1 FBS programs (The Ohio State and Cincinnati aka UCincinnati?). You can have major athletics and great academics. Athletics does add value to the university.

Maybe her time at Cincinnati (away from OSU) has taught her that a state is large enough to have more than 1 flagship. Maybe even as many as 4? God forbid!

I also hope she can bring some fresh ideas to SUNY. The key question is can she implement them or will NY State government continue to hinder and hold back SUNY?

Does she have a sister willing to take a job at UAlbany?

We don't need anyone connected to Spitzer or UB.

Let's just hope that UA administration can get to Zimpher before UB pollutes her with ideas that UB is the one and only SUNY campus deserving of funding. There are SUNY Centers outside the frozen tundra of Buffalo.

Does she have a sister willing to take a job at UAlbany?

I don't know about a sister for the president position, but according to her bio (link in my above post) her husband Dr. Kenneth R. Howey is a professor in education at UC. If she did get the job, wouldn't you think her husband would move here too... maybe a new professor for UAlbany perhaps? :)

What happened to that one guy who worked for Spitzer (the name escapes me) is he no longer being considered? Hopefully she gets the job over the guy with BU ties.

His name was Lloyd Constantine, he ran the Commission on Higher Ed, but it doesn't seem like has been mentioned recently probably because he didn't have any real Higher Ed experience other than running a commission.

Btw, when she came to Un. of Cinn they had this link on their website of like a little resume and tid bits of info on her. Kind of interesting: http://www.magazine.uc.edu/1103/zimpher3.htm

Archived