UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Getting closer to a new SUNY Chancelor?

Classof72/74

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just throwing this out there for discussion, so don't shoot me.

With Zimpher as the soon to be former Big East President's Rep to the NCAA, she has a lot of pull there. I know SUNY Buffalo supporters have very lofty goals... you know as them being the great NY flagship (sarcasm).

Any chance Chancellor Zimpher could get or would want to push SUNY Buffalo up to a better conference like the Big East (or equivalent). If that happened could UA back fill for SUNY #121? Unlike the Capitol District, the Buffalo area seems to really be pushing their local SUNY Center. I'm sure there won't be any evils of "big time" sports in the Buffalo News. The TU has a lock on that angle.

Any chance for a UA back fill opportunity to the MAC?

Zimpher takes SUNY job

"University of Cincinnati president Nancy Zimpher has announced that she’ll leave UC to become chancellor of the State University of New York, a sprawling system that includes 64 campuses and more than 427,000 students."

"Zimpher takes over the largest university system in the nation under a single governing board, with 440,000 students. She told the Times she plans to visit all 64 campuses in the first few months of her tenure — from the sprawling research universities to the smallest technical colleges."

I hope we have a perment president when she shows up at UA

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0004&Ref=AR

Here's an interesting excerpt from the AP story on SUNY's new chancellor

"Zimpher (ZIM'-fur) says her five-year goals include better coordinating the resources of the 64-campus system, trying innovative ways to make college affordable for middle class families, and potentially raising SUNY's standing in big-time collegiate sports."

:D

NY Times article (her first interview)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/nyregion...ml?ref=nyregion

“Being the best state university system in the country, and internationally recognized as a model, means that we have to work with the State of New York to view investments in SUNY as investments in New York’s economy,” said Dr. Zimpher, who was accompanied by Carl T. Hayden, chairman of the board of trustees, in her first interview since being tapped to lead the system.

“We produce students, we produce jobs, we serve communities,” she added. “So, yes, we’re in a rough spot as a country and certainly in Ohio and New York, but I continue to believe that higher education is the economic engine for the future of this state. I think we can grow this state out of its revenue challenges.”

:)

Here's an interesting excerpt from the AP story on SUNY's new chancellor

"Zimpher (ZIM'-fur) says her five-year goals include better coordinating the resources of the 64-campus system, trying innovative ways to make college affordable for middle class families, and potentially raising SUNY's standing in big-time collegiate sports."

:D

Here is the deal...and I brought this up to my favorite UA administrator last week. While Zimpher is better than the Buff State person...this by NO MEANS guarantees us squat.

Frankly...which would you do: Plug resources into two universities that are deemed "just near there" in form of athletics (well...Buffalo at least) and academics (UAA) or....pile resources into the other two centers to make them up to the just below the snuff level of the former two schools.

I am not holding my breath yet.

The one good thing...is that she seems to recognize the economic engine of the University System on the State coffers. Here, as Danefan's article points out, I am positive on her.

Buffalo is used to prop up a dying city...while frankly...Albany will never die (may recess but never die) because of the school AND the capitol complex. This to me makes me think she will pump resources to make Albany's top programs bigger and badder...and make sure NANO doesnt go by the wayside.

In short...UA's resources drive $$ in the economy at a high ration to $$ spending; Buffalo's state resources are more than simply just going to the school to drive the economy-- they ARE DRIVING THE ECONOMY...with not much else.

BTW...now is the time to start lobbing "Pro-UA" letters her way-- please start typing y'all.

Side note: now is the time for UA to spend BIG $$$ on a lobbyist...and I mean big. Hell, I pay my lobbyist to the tune of mid 100's for his work with my company. We should get the biggest and baddest education lobbyist out there...and give them a cool base of 150k...with massive incentive bonuses based on what they can steer us to.

Bonus 1- More Nano $$$

Bonus 2- Construction $$$

Bonus 3- Stadium $$$

Bonus 4- Professor Retention $$$

Bonus 5- Marketing $$$ to international students

Those are in no particular order.

Bosiydid;

Problem is...I dont think most in our ADept knows there way around politics. Frankly, I have been working with polticians and all levels since 1993...and at a VERY HIGH level for the past 4 years. Getting around the game is really tough. I barely know how to get around this high stakes game....and I have light-years more experience than our ADept. I lack all faith in what they can do at this pt.

Looks as though the new chancellor will officially be heading to Albany in May.

If the State budget is still being considered, she probably wouldn't have had much influence on this year's budget anyways.

Let's hope she has a fondness for the state capital's State University. Hopefully the 3 billion dollar economic impact the University has on Albanym, an All American city, helps show the importance of UAlbany.

IMO, the University of Albany, has GREAT potential, by far the MOST POTENTIAL out of any of NY's 64 campuses.

If given the attention, the University could reach greatness.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived