UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Random Thoughts

This season has left such a bitter taste in my mouth that I wouldn't mind starting next season...RIGHT NOW! Of course I'm just kidding, everyone including us loyal fans needs a rest from this disappointing season. This is rock bottom though...it can't possibly get any worse and I think most would agree that we have a nice young core.

Most excited about seeing Black next year...as haggy will attest to, only a couple of games into the season when Black wasn't getting any time I told him that this kid will be special. I saw him in him a great motor and willingness/ability to break the defense down and kick out. Even when he wasn't playing much he consistently tried to drive the ball something MJ simply refused to do. He also never shies away from contact and has no problem going directly into the teeth of the defense. As his offensive awareness improves with experience and he gets more comfortable with the players around him and where they like to be on the court he'll start to find them with his passes. As the season progressed, he dished out more assists, in his final 5 games he averaged 5.4ast with an A/T ratio of 1.6. The key with him is...will he be able to control the TO's...Think what his assist numbers would be if someone on this team could actually shoot a lick. We shot under 40% in conference play. Obviously he needs to hit the weights, this is the least of my concerns as if there is anything this staff does well it's strength and conditioning.

Logan needs agility work as well as ball handling drills...far to many to's off the dribble drive. The fact that he played as well as he did while still limited in practices is a testament to his level of talent.

I don't know what to think about Jake...the kid obviously has talent, can intimidate people inside blocking shots and is very long. I just don't know where his head is at...it troubles me a little bit that he would rather be floating around on the perimeter then going inside where he could be a significant force. I like the little SOB in him though...he seems to have a little bit of a nastiness about him, a little bit of an edge. Gotta tap into it a little more.

In regards to Tartt, I think there is much more talent there then what we saw this year...he is FAR TO TENTATIVE, at times I was thinking just let the freaking ball fly...just let it go Derrick, stop freaking thinking so much...SHOOOOOOOTTTT! This kid needs some serious work in the weight room...

I've heard GREAT thing about Watts and Puk and where their abilities are/potential but at this point no sense in hyping them as they will be freshmen. I will say this, based on what I hear, Puk is a kid that can run the court, has a soft touch around the rim and has put on a good deal of muscle...he's around 240 RIGHT NOW, and they hope to have him around 250 when next season rolls around. It would not surprise me if at some point next season he's either starting or logging significant minutes. Between him and Blake the 5 spot will be OK although young. Blake is great down there and will only get better but he does need work on the offensive side of the ball down low, we can't afford to play 4 on 5 like we did with Giff. I love Blakes nose for the ball, it's an ability that IMO can't be taught, you either have the nose for the ball or you don't...simple as that.

Finally, when the final buzzer sounded on this year...make no mistake about it, this team instantly improved. I know some might now like me saying that but it's true.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think to look at our roster and hope for any turn around next season without a contribution from Ambrose is a tough spot. He struggled most when Harris went down and he felt he HAD to make everything happen. In a functioning offense, given a half step lead on a man or an open shot, there is no reason he cannot contribute.

And I would like to slightly reform my comments on Jake to a more optimistic light to avoid being too abrasive. Lindfors is a single easy way for Will Brown to reassure his coaching competence. He is a young man with obvious physical talent and stature enough to help Albany- Will he be groomed into an effective part of next years team?

I think to look at our roster and hope for any turn around next season without a contribution from Ambrose is a tough spot. He struggled most when Harris went down and he felt he HAD to make everything happen. In a functioning offense, given a half step lead on a man or an open shot, there is no reason he cannot contribute.

And I would like to slightly reform my comments on Jake to a more optimistic light to avoid being too abrasive. Lindfors is a single easy way for Will Brown to reassure his coaching competence. He is a young man with obvious physical talent and stature enough to help Albany- Will he be groomed into an effective part of next years team?

That is if he doesn't dribble the ball off his foot, throw a pass into the stands, chuck up a shot over a double/triple team or run someone over for an offensive foul......... half kidding and very exaggerated. :)

Right..I'm not going to assume anything from Watts or Puk..as they haven't seen one minute of play in DI ball. Iati is a bit different for me..as he at least saw limited time as a frosh at High Point.

I like Blake..he averaged more than 10 rebounds per 40 minutes of play this year..as a freshman. If he can learn to finish a bit more off the offensive glass and improve his foul shooting..he can be pretty good.

I liked Timmy as the 6th man..obviously has the talent to start..but he seemed a bit more in control when he came off the bench. Kind of serves as the same spark that Brian Hodges did for UMBC a couple years ago..including their 2008 title run..definitely had the skills to start..but served a great role as the first off the bench. I like the thought of whatever is happening on the court at the start..we have a 1000+ point scorer to come right in.

Right..I'm not going to assume anything from Watts or Puk..as they haven't seen one minute of play in DI ball. Iati is a bit different for me..as he at least saw limited time as a frosh at High Point.

I like Blake..he averaged more than 10 rebounds per 40 minutes of play this year..as a freshman. If he can learn to finish a bit more off the offensive glass and improve his foul shooting..he can be pretty good.

I liked Timmy as the 6th man..obviously has the talent to start..but he seemed a bit more in control when he came off the bench. Kind of serves as the same spark that Brian Hodges did for UMBC a couple years ago..including their 2008 title run..definitely had the skills to start..but served a great role as the first off the bench. I like the thought of whatever is happening on the court at the start..we have a 1000+ scorer to come right in.

The reason I like Timmy off the bench is because he doesn't appear to deal to well with a lot of pressure on him. The type of pressure that comes with being a starter. If he can come in and just go out and ball I think it would re-invigorate him and take some of the pressure off of him.

Patch: As for Siggers please NO Revisionist History.....

My apologies on the Siggers comment. I remember the frustration but mislabeled the time. Either way, have no complaints about the Golden (and Purple?) Ages - foolish to suggest that it should have been anything it was not.

The stupid firewall at work does not allow me to post new threads or comment with quotes from a board member...so this will be posted here until someone can start a new thread: Coach Brown will most definitely be back (nothing to do with salary IMHO) and Jeff may cry:

http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/mcelroy-siena-success-is-good-for-ualbany/7509/

One thing I have learned about Coach this year from listening and looking at the big picture ( is that Coach is indeed human and can be humbled. Between his health and a disaster of a season...he was able to do the most important thing: he became flexible in some ways. I think this season really bothered him, no matter if the fault lay with his coaching style, his recruiting misses, poor execution by the players, or lack of general team heart by important cogs to the team.

His switching of the offense around at times was an important step, but to me the most important was his decision with no worry of public opinion to basically sit his upper classman and go with youth. Over the years of watching him, he generally goes with his upperclassmen until the bitter end. This year...though I think he made the move a bit later than I personally would have liked (but hey, that's why I get paid to do other things and he gets paid to coach)...he did it and stuck with it. As some mentioned the other day, our youth movement kept us close in alot of ballgames.

While we have no Jamar Wilson...I actually think this core could be better than the original core Jamar had to work with (prior to Lillis/Wilson/Sigger/Jordan arrivals) during his frosh year. The fact that we never really saw Black and Brown go at it...is an important development because I think Black is going to develop into a surefire first or second AE teamer for the rest of his career...at the most difficult spot. I think Brown was flexible enough to realize Black may not be perfect...but he was going to let the kid grow.

Brown got the next year he deserves...and frankly, I think McElroy never even thought twice about this decision. I think we wont have a great year next year...probably .500...while the truly youngest team ever in our school will mesh. Brown will have not 1, but 2 years to right the ship...and I forsee a solid growth spurt next year...and a true championship contender in two years if WATTS, TARTT, Puk and Lindfors make the next step...and Brown hits it with 1 of the three rides he has available to him this year.

Good luck to the team...and to Coach, you made some adjustments...and some more will have to be made...but some of us still know you can coach!

I'd REALLY like his rotation management to be one of those things he changes. By game 10...find out who your best 8 or 9 are and ROLL WITH THEM.

Enough with start two games (25 minutes a game) and then sit...or sit for 4 games and then start or play 30 minutes.

CONSISTENCY!

Think that having two (maybe three if you count Giff...and I dont) players who were supposed to be the best on the floor and leading the team...yet sucking the fattie had anything to do with that?

Let's see, BU...say goodbye to John Holland and Corey Lowe...now show me what you got.

Difference between those two scenarios is that BU had some more "seasoned" depth in the guard and forward spots. Towards the end of the year there was a rotation...and I think most know what the rotation is next year (who starts is a different story).

The stupid firewall at work does not allow me to post new threads or comment with quotes from a board member...so this will be posted here until someone can start a new thread: Coach Brown will most definitely be back (nothing to do with salary IMHO) and Jeff may cry:

http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/mcelroy-siena-success-is-good-for-ualbany/7509/

One thing I have learned about Coach this year from listening and looking at the big picture ( is that Coach is indeed human and can be humbled. Between his health and a disaster of a season...he was able to do the most important thing: he became flexible in some ways. I think this season really bothered him, no matter if the fault lay with his coaching style, his recruiting misses, poor execution by the players, or lack of general team heart by important cogs to the team.

His switching of the offense around at times was an important step, but to me the most important was his decision with no worry of public opinion to basically sit his upper classman and go with youth. Over the years of watching him, he generally goes with his upperclassmen until the bitter end. This year...though I think he made the move a bit later than I personally would have liked (but hey, that's why I get paid to do other things and he gets paid to coach)...he did it and stuck with it. As some mentioned the other day, our youth movement kept us close in alot of ballgames.

While we have no Jamar Wilson...I actually think this core could be better than the original core Jamar had to work with (prior to Lillis/Wilson/Sigger/Jordan arrivals) during his frosh year. The fact that we never really saw Black and Brown go at it...is an important development because I think Black is going to develop into a surefire first or second AE teamer for the rest of his career...at the most difficult spot. I think Brown was flexible enough to realize Black may not be perfect...but he was going to let the kid grow.

Brown got the next year he deserves...and frankly, I think McElroy never even thought twice about this decision. I think we wont have a great year next year...probably .500...while the truly youngest team ever in our school will mesh. Brown will have not 1, but 2 years to right the ship...and I forsee a solid growth spurt next year...and a true championship contender in two years if WATTS, TARTT, Puk and Lindfors make the next step...and Brown hits it with 1 of the three rides he has available to him this year.

Good luck to the team...and to Coach, you made some adjustments...and some more will have to be made...but some of us still know you can coach!

Great post and I agree. I think Brown deserves to play it out with this group and the incoming group. If the team remains a bust over the next 2 years and there are still a number of recruiting mistakes then he should be gone.

I was talking to a friend of mine and he made a comment about the recruiting mistakes with kids who haven't panned out or kids who have left. My point to him was every coach makes mistakes with recruiting but it is how they bounceback from those mistakes. So far, with Logan and Mike, I think Brown has started that bounceback. Now he needs to finish it over the next two years with some solid players. I'm not comparing Brown to Calhoun but you look at the UConn team this year who just lost int he first round of the Big East tourney to St. Johns and see that even the best make recruiting/coaching mistakes. Maybe not the same type of situation but an OK analogy. Brown has recruited some very good players over the year and now it is time to get back to that.

Al Turley and Josh Martin arguably are the only departure that had a major effect on this team. Neither departure could be forseen or protected against...and frankly, looks like Al made a major mistake as I dont see him playing major college football like his mom wanted him to.

Brett Gifford isnt in a bust spotlight if Al is here.

Will Harris and Tim Ambrose aren't recruiting busts...they are busts of epic proportions because of their own mental issues.

The position we are in right now has to do with the number of departures (they seemed to have slowed way down) and to many misses on the recruiting trail.

We'll never know what kind of difference we'd have seen had Martin and Turley stayed, but I suspect we'd have been significantly more competitive. Those were big hits to the program.

Archived