UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Random Thoughts

So let me get this straight...your umpteen posts are the subject are now changed as of today? Same with the blog posts? If so, hey...you have a right to your opinion and I respect that.

Aside from that, and most important, you cannot ignore the fact that three players-- Glanton, Turley and Yocum-- had strong family influences in their decision. Ignoring that is ignoring the truth.

Ignoring that Raffa's father, high school coach and prep school coach according to news accounts, urged him to stay at Albany (and that Coach publicly and privately implored him to stay) is simply ignoring the truth. Sadly, he had someone else in his ear that he listened to.

Those are life changes...not recruiting issues. Personally, I think the Turley situation was the worst of the bunch..he is the biggest loser in all of this....and you saw Glanton's public response...great kid who wanted to be home.

The real issues to me are Josh Martin and Tim Ambrose-- could you have known Josh would be a discplinary issue? Maybe...just maybe. With Ambrose, I think Coach was trying to strike Jamar gold. People forget Jamar was inconsistent, couldn't play defense and played with reckless abandon. Difference between he and Ambrose is that Jamar was a sponge...who was maliable; Tim is not. BOTH WER RISKS...WITH HIGH REWARD VALUE. I will take the 50% risk anytime...those are our current odds/production on the two. That you can blame Coach on...but if you are going to blame him...you have to also praise him for the Jamar risk-win. Frankly, I think Tim has more NATURAL talent than Jamar; Jamar just understood the game.

I fully understand what you are saying about each of these situations but it has happened too many times.

The main difference with Ambrose and Jamar's time was that Jamar was surrounded by more solid players and I agree with clickclack that we got away from that and went with too many "risky" recruits, maybe risky is too strong of a word..... Maybe I am wrong and it is all just bad luck. As I said earlier, these three scholarships are the most important of Will Brown's coaching career. They will make or break the next 2-3 years and that will make or break Will's time at UA. I'm very much rooting for things to turn around and for him to stay for a long time but I'm tryign to be realistic.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian Connelly.

And don't give me stats-- that kid was a huge contributor...one who probably would have been much better but for the diabetes.

Really...Connelly is what your gonna go with? He was recruited in 04/05...his freshmen season was 05/06...wow, if that's all we can point to no wonder we won 7 games this season.

And I agree with you, his impact went beyond pts and rebounds.

You said what recruit was around for the past 4-5 years...that stayed the whole time.

Unless my math skills have diminished, 2009-2010 season minus 5 years is the 2004-05 season.

So yeah, I went with Connelly.

You said what recruit was around for 4-5 years...that stayed the whole time.

Unless my math skills have diminished, 2009-2010 season minus 5 years is the 2004-05 season.

So yeah, I went with Connelly.

Tell me you see why this is a problem...in 5 years, one kid. Please tell me you see why this is not acceptable and contributed to where we are today.

Because $iena happens...and it happens at every school...

The recruiting process is not a science. And yes, in normal circumstances I could see an issue-- but frankly put...WE HAVE BEEN UNLUCKLY.

I can see the light and say that Raffa and Ambrose were bad calls...and these could have been forseen...MAYBE even Josh Martin (but I dont see anything in his history that would show as much).

The others...I AM NOT BUYING...and NEVER WILL. If the next recruitng cycle is a bust...then we are on to something.

Buy some standards on this board, Bob Ford would have been fired in my era.

The recruiting process is not a science. And yes, in normal circumstances I could see an issue-- but frankly put...WE HAVE BEEN UNLUCKLY.

I can see the light and say that Raffa and Ambrose were bad calls...and these could have been forseen...MAYBE even Josh Martin (but I dont see anything in his history that would show as much).

The others...I AM NOT BUYING...and NEVER WILL. If the next recruitng cycle is a bust...then we are on to something.

You might call me a flip flopper and that's OK...I'd rather assess and adapt to the situation as it develops instead of having a rigid mind that is incapable of re-evaluating what is right before my eyes. I think we need to look back and see where we went off the tried and true path and learn from those mistakes instead of sticking our collective heads in the sand and saying...our luck sucks!

Either way I respect our difference of opinion. For the record, I saw very little D1 ability out of Yocum, Anderson, Knight even in their limited minutes. You and I disagree on where the mistakes have been made. Don't be so afraid to ask yourself first and foremost the uncomfortable questions.

Also, I'm not calling for Browns head, far from it. I remain a fan/supporter of his, I simply think there are lessons to be learned in what/how things have gone over the last three years. Any smart person should be able to take a step back, look at the results and take stock in how things have unfolded. It's the sensible and smart thing to do.

Was the recruitment of Gifford a >50% risk? Four years of investment with little return. Is that emblematic of a bad eye for talent; a recruitment mistake?

You might call me a flip flopper and that's OK...I'd rather assess and adapt to the situation as it develops instead of having a rigid mind that is incapable of re-evaluating what is right before my eyes. I think we need to look back and see where we went off the tried and true path and learn from those mistakes instead of sticking our collective heads in the sand and saying...our luck sucks!

Either way I respect our difference of opinion. For the record, I saw very little D1 ability out of Yocum, Anderson, Knight even in their limited minutes. You and I disagree on where the mistakes have been made. Don't be so afraid to ask yourself first and foremost the uncomfortable questions.

Also, I'm not calling for Browns head, far from it. I remain a fan/supporter of his, I simply think there are lessons to be learned in what/how things have gone over the last three years. Any smart person should be able to take a step back, look at the results and take stock in how things have unfolded. It's the sensible and smart thing to do.

Here's a random thought. I'd like to see the america east add another team to even it out.

Amazing how 4 years ago after albany won its second aeast tournament I wanted to see them move out of this conference down the road.

Now I feel albany belongs where they are and the likely hood of them ever going to a better conf is out of the question.

I think from the 06-07 season I posted that maybe 5-7 years from now we can move up in conferences. That would mean in 2 years or so from now and that is why I don't think it is feasible now and that the aeast is where we belong. I never said that it won't happen I'm just saying I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I'm just saying that 4 years ago I was hoping that talks about that would come up around now.

Plus right now with the economy I don't even know if there is another conference that could fit us economically and geographically.

I think from the 06-07 season I posted that maybe 5-7 years from now we can move up in conferences. That would mean in 2 years or so from now and that is why I don't think it is feasible now and that the aeast is where we belong. I never said that it won't happen I'm just saying I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I'm just saying that 4 years ago I was hoping that talks about that would come up around now.

Plus right now with the economy I don't even know if there is another conference that could fit us economically and geographically.

Oh OK...no big whoop. I thought you were saying NEVER. Football is the key.

As Click stated...if we get an offer for football...we are out of the AE...bet it.

The only thing holding a conference switch at bay is the re-alignment that likely will occur; basketball's record has nothing to do with it.

Archived