UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Random Thoughts

While this season isn't over yet...I've been wondering/thinking about next season and where do we go from here. I think most would agree that this has been an extremely frustrating and difficult season to stomach.

- In the department of addition by subtraction...the departure of a couple of seniors will be a welcome sight. I don't want to disparage the young men who've worked hard in most cases, been good citizens etc. But as basketball players...I think there have been opportunities missed, potential not reached, example (for young players) not set, leadership void not filled etc. One is already gone...a few more are in the twilight of their careers.

- Schedule next year needs to be more balanced. No more ridiculous 8 game road swings....month+ away from home. This one is flat out on the coaching staff...they overestimated and missed badly on exactly what was realistic for this team. IMO, season went down the drain fast when the team couldn't get a W to bolster their confidence especially for a team that was playing a lot of freshmen, freshmen who's minutes/roles were increasing. I know the intent was to lean much more on the seniors...they came up lame and so did this season.

- By game 10 or so a 8 or 9 man rotation MUST be set. That's not to say that the rotation can't change or someone should be rewarded if they are bringing it in practice....but IMO, it needs to be much much more stable then it's been this season. Find the best 9 and roll with them....Far to many times has someone played in 4 games big minutes and then NOTHING for a couple of games. Or...no minutes to starter/starting lineup.

- Offense: The offense for the better part of the last two years has been truly offensive...the inability to make shots is a GLARING issue. We keep hearing that this guy is a shooter, that guy is a shooter but the proof is in the pudding and has been for two years now. One of two things is happening...either it's not true that so and so can shoot or the offense scheme/substitution patterns doesn't allow for any flow in the offense. We've all seen MB ability and willingness to push the ball....if we have players to run with him tell them to run (I hear it's been a point of emphasis for a little while now)...if we don't, there are three scholarships available...go out and get some....I know it's easier said then done but 7-23 tied for most loses in program history (D1) is not gonna cut it...Coaches get paid to coach...identify the issues on the offensive end and correct them....shooting under 40% basically the entire year is unacceptable. It seems to me we have very little inside out game....how often do we feed the ball inside and then kick it out for an open shot? Everything is out on the perimeter, in many cases the opposition goes into a zone and we can't shoot them out of it. The ball moves far to slowly around the horn allowing the defense to move and adjust in the zone...leading to a contested heave. They try to work the middle of the zone but there is no one who can hit the mid-range shot with any consistency (Scotty is the closest) and they never work the baseline.

- Defense: Need to find (on the recruiting trail) someone who can anchor the D. There is a reason why we've had to play as much zone/junk D as we've done this season. There are some OK pieces on D...I know Black pressures the ball well and Tartt is OK but Harris is a liability, Ambrose get's beat far to many times like a drum....Logan's lateral quickness simply isn't there yet post surgeries, I hope he can regain it but I'm not sure it will be there. Lindfors has shown a knack to block some shots inside which I like but we need someone like Siggers to thrown on an El-Amin...right now we simply don't have it. Overall team IQ needs to improve. Defense has actually gotten better as the season has progressed but still a long ways off from what we've seen out of WB teams.

- Roster: Three scholarships will be available this spring...I'd go heavy JUCO rout...IMO we need a post a wing and best available with the third ship...maybe the third ship could go to a freshmen but we need much more toughness and grit/leadership on this team. The core of this team is undoubtedly Black/Logan and the other freshmen but they are still underclassmen...they need some veteran leadership. A number of times this season I've had this feeling that this team simply doesn't know how to pull out a close game...if it's a game down to the wire, more often then now we'll find a way to lose it. To some degree that is to be expected with 3 freshmen on the court very often...you don't expect in the closing minutes of the game (SB) to have a pass go into a senior who then tries to hand it off to another senior resulting in a bobbled hand off and points for SB on the other end. I'd love to see Ambrose in a 6th man role next season....where he can get 20 minutes a game and provide some offensive punch.

No idea what to expect out of Puk, Watts and Iati next season...for the first to I suppose it's fair to expect very little as they will both be starting their D1 careers. Hopefully Iati can spell Black at the PG spot to free up DT to play more in his natural 2G spot....

- Coaches: As already pointed out...put together a more sensible schedule....go back to recruit UA kids...guys like Lillis, Jordan, Levi, Wilson etc. None of those guys were superstars (maybe Lillis with that awesome senior season) but otherwise you knew you'd get 100% effort all the time, grit, fire and tough nosed play. This team is flat out SOFT, especially the seniors. Get MB someone to run with...how many times we gonna see him leading the pack with no one to pass to? Step up and take the blame for this season....like it or not, this is ultimately on the coaching staff....they put together a team that didn't even come close to getting it done. This is a results driven business...right now the program is not heading in the right direction...identify what went wrong after the NCAA years (missed opportunities on the recruiting trail) and fix it. No excuses!

The above are my observations/opinions....I'm sure some will disagree with me, others will see something different but my intent was not to be rude/crass or disparage someone needlessly. I'm trying to wrap my mind around the reason why this program is in the state it's in....any observations, comments etc. are welcomed.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While this season isn't over yet...I've been wondering/thinking about next season and where do we go from here. I think most would agree that this has been an extremely frustrating and difficult season to stomach.

- In the department of addition by subtraction...the departure of a couple of seniors will be a welcome sight. I don't want to disparage the young men who've worked hard in most cases, been good citizens etc. But as basketball players...I think there have been opportunities missed, potential not reached, example (for young players) not set, leadership void not filled etc. One is already gone...a few more are in the twilight of their careers.

- Schedule next year needs to be more balanced. No more ridiculous 8 game road swings....month+ away from home. This one is flat out on the coaching staff...they overestimated and missed badly on exactly what was realistic for this team. IMO, season went down the drain fast when the team couldn't get a W to bolster their confidence especially for a team that was playing a lot of freshmen, freshmen who's minutes/roles were increasing. I know the intent was to lean much more on the seniors...they came up lame and so did this season.

- By game 10 or so a 8 or 9 man rotation MUST be set. That's not to say that the rotation can't change or someone should be rewarded if they are bringing it in practice....but IMO, it needs to be much much more stable then it's been this season. Find the best 9 and roll with them....Far to many times has someone played in 4 games big minutes and then NOTHING for a couple of games. Or...no minutes to starter/starting lineup.

- Offense: The offense for the better part of the last two years has been truly offensive...the inability to make shots is a GLARING issue. We keep hearing that this guy is a shooter, that guy is a shooter but the proof is in the pudding and has been for two years now. One of two things is happening...either it's not true that so and so can shoot or the offense scheme/substitution patterns doesn't allow for any flow in the offense. We've all seen MB ability and willingness to push the ball....if we have players to run with him tell them to run (I hear it's been a point of emphasis for a little while now)...if we don't, there are three scholarships available...go out and get some....I know it's easier said then done but 7-23 tied for most loses in program history (D1) is not gonna cut it...Coaches get paid to coach...identify the issues on the offensive end and correct them....shooting under 40% basically the entire year is unacceptable. It seems to me we have very little inside out game....how often do we feed the ball inside and then kick it out for an open shot? Everything is out on the perimeter, in many cases the opposition goes into a zone and we can't shoot them out of it. The ball moves far to slowly around the horn allowing the defense to move and adjust in the zone...leading to a contested heave. They try to work the middle of the zone but there is no one who can hit the mid-range shot with any consistency (Scotty is the closest) and they never work the baseline.

- Defense: Need to find (on the recruiting trail) someone who can anchor the D. There is a reason why we've had to play as much zone/junk D as we've done this season. There are some OK pieces on D...I know Black pressures the ball well and Tartt is OK but Harris is a liability, Ambrose get's beat far to many times like a drum....Logan's lateral quickness simply isn't there yet post surgeries, I hope he can regain it but I'm not sure it will be there. Lindfors has shown a knack to block some shots inside which I like but we need someone like Siggers to thrown on an El-Amin...right now we simply don't have it. Overall team IQ needs to improve. Defense has actually gotten better as the season has progressed but still a long ways off from what we've seen out of WB teams.

- Roster: Three scholarships will be available this spring...I'd go heavy JUCO rout...IMO we need a post a wing and best available with the third ship...maybe the third ship could go to a freshmen but we need much more toughness and grit/leadership on this team. The core of this team is undoubtedly Black/Logan and the other freshmen but they are still underclassmen...they need some veteran leadership. A number of times this season I've had this feeling that this team simply doesn't know how to pull out a close game...if it's a game down to the wire, more often then now we'll find a way to lose it. To some degree that is to be expected with 3 freshmen on the court very often...you don't expect in the closing minutes of the game (SB) to have a pass go into a senior who then tries to hand it off to another senior resulting in a bobbled hand off and points for SB on the other end. I'd love to see Ambrose in a 6th man role next season....where he can get 20 minutes a game and provide some offensive punch.

No idea what to expect out of Puk, Watts and Iati next season...for the first to I suppose it's fair to expect very little as they will both be starting their D1 careers. Hopefully Iati can spell Black at the PG spot to free up DT to play more in his natural 2G spot....

- Coaches: As already pointed out...put together a more sensible schedule....go back to recruit UA kids...guys like Lillis, Jordan, Levi, Wilson etc. None of those guys were superstars (maybe Lillis with that awesome senior season) but otherwise you knew you'd get 100% effort all the time, grit, fire and tough nosed play. This team is flat out SOFT, especially the seniors. Get MB someone to run with...how many times we gonna see him leading the pack with no one to pass to? Step up and take the blame for this season....like it or not, this is ultimately on the coaching staff....they put together a team that didn't even come close to getting it done. This is a results driven business...right now the program is not heading in the right direction...identify what went wrong after the NCAA years (missed opportunities on the recruiting trail) and fix it. No excuses!

The above are my observations/opinions....I'm sure some will disagree with me, others will see something different but my intent was not to be rude/crass or disparage someone needlessly. I'm trying to wrap my mind around the reason why this program is in the state it's in....any observations, comments etc. are welcomed.

Agree with pretty much everything you said. The only thing I have to say is recruiting role guys like jordan, iati, lillis etc. is not everything we need. In this league you can win championships with one superstar player who makes everyone on the team better. That person was Jamar and he made all the players around him better players. When we lost him to graduation all we had were role players and look where that got us. This league can be one with a superstar and some complementary players. UVM one with coppenrath, bing - rivera, ua - jamar. What I am hoping for is that we can some how get a steal of a recruit who can come in and drop close to 20 pt a night. With a player like that he will be sure to make everyone else better by freeing up space. Can someone tell me why albany or siena trys to recruit localy in the area? Not sure how the hs basketball is up there.

If you are not sure how good HS basketball is in the section, or that Coppenrath had...oh...I dont know, some guy name TJ Sorrentine on his squad...then I cant take you seriously. Hell, I will even throw Martin Klimes in there...and a 6'5 tough ass guard named David Hehn. Vermont was stacked!!!!! As was Albany when they won it.

That was directed at the last post.

Agree with pretty much everything you said. The only thing I have to say is recruiting role guys like jordan, iati, lillis etc. is not everything we need. In this league you can win championships with one superstar player who makes everyone on the team better. That person was Jamar and he made all the players around him better players. When we lost him to graduation all we had were role players and look where that got us. This league can be one with a superstar and some complementary players. UVM one with coppenrath, bing - rivera, ua - jamar. What I am hoping for is that we can some how get a steal of a recruit who can come in and drop close to 20 pt a night. With a player like that he will be sure to make everyone else better by freeing up space. Can someone tell me why albany or siena trys to recruit localy in the area? Not sure how the hs basketball is up there.

I believe Logan and Black have a very high ceiling....maybe I'm wrong.

I believe Logan and Black have a very high ceiling....maybe I'm wrong.

I think they could be good too but theyre going to need a JUCO player like you said to take over games and avg 18+ like and El-Ahmin if they want to win next year. With the players we have going into next season I can't see our record improving much. Yes the freshman will get better, but so will other teams freshman. THats why i think its important we use those three scholarships wisely.

If Logan gets to 90% or more...he will be outstanding.

Black...is a welcome sight for my eyes; love the kid's game.

The way I see it...judging based on what I've seen this season

- Black - Needs to get stronger, more cerebral...I know he's already pretty good with the 3.3ast per game with an A/T ratio of 1.2 (in AE play) but as he continues to get experience he should push those numbers higher. He already has a very nice outside shot and looks to push the ball and isn't afraid to break the D down and get into the paint.

- Logan - Needs some serious agility and ball handling work during the summer. Get's stripped far to often driving the ball...and as of right now his practices are still limited...Already a solid shooter scorer who will continue to get better with more work and experience.

- Tartt - Needs to drink protein shakes by the BUCKET full....rail thin but has potential on the defensive end and is pretty athletic....needs to stop thinking to much and just let it fly once in a while. Seems to me like he has a nice offensive game/potential but doesn't shoot.

- Metcalf - Needs to shoot FT until his fingers/arms fall off...58%????? Also needs to add strength (as do most freshmen). Needs to work on post game...backing players in. He's great at keeping the ball alive and cleaning up on the glass but needs to develop some post moves.

- Lindfors - Needs to lose the infatuation with the beyond the arc crap...with his size and reach he can and SHOULD play more inside. Once in a while flash out to the three point line and let it fly but otherwise should work more inside and down low. I like his defense....seems to have a knack for blocking shots and getting boards. This kid could be very good but right now is crazy raw!

- Allen - Play solid D (not man), be the vocal leader...based on what I've seen...not a shooter! I'm sorry, maybe that's harsh but it's true. Everything seems right, good rotation good form just never goes in....

- Ambrose - Get ready to be an energizer bunny next season. Come in and give the team a lift offensively. Talented offensive player when he's going but far to inconsistent. Continue to try and improve in the mental aspect of the game.

Since Clickclack started his wish list of players I figured I'd add one. I'd like to see a bigger guard (6'4, 6'5) come on board. It seemed like the past several years we've had several guys like that - Siggers, Hastings, Lillis, Ross) and we really don't have a player like that this year.

Archived