UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Random Thoughts

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw thisrecent TU Blog post...some interesting stuff in there.

I was a bit surprised with Dr. M saying that he'll talk about defining roles...not that they (CB and Dr. M) will talk about it but that he volunteered that information.

Interesting

That is the most encouraging piece of news I've heard yet. It's nice to know someone is getting in Will's ear saying what seems to be consesus among this board and Albany fans throughout. The turnaround needs to start with some sense of stability and consistency.

Clickclack, on 11 March 2010 - 07:26 PM, said:

Saw thisrecent TU Blog post...some interesting stuff in there.

I was a bit surprised with Dr. M saying that he'll talk about defining roles...not that they (CB and Dr. M) will talk about it but that he volunteered that information.

Interesting

That is the most encouraging piece of news I've heard yet. It's nice to know someone is getting in Will's ear saying what seems to be consesus among this board and Albany fans throughout. The turnaround needs to start with some sense of stability and consistency.- Doc

If you guys think that the AD and the coach haven't had ongoing discussions about the team all season long you don't know how a DI program works.

All McElroy did was state the obvious and insinuate there were chemistry problems which just about all on this board and Albany fans throughout understood.

When did the chemistry problems surface - in my opinion - after the loss of guys like Lillis, B. Wilson, and Iati and coincided with the arrival of three two year players.

Basically we lost three guys who were mentally tough and over achievers and gained 3 guys who were excellent athletes and not as mentally tough and not to oversimplify it the results speak for themselves. Add in a few injuries and zero leadership on the court and it's a recipe for failure.

Next year seems like it should be obvious - things will change - this will be Mike Black's team to run.

CB gave Black every opportunity in the second half of the season and often implored him to push the ball. He lived with some of Mike's mistakes, Black flourished and the team seemed to respond to Mike.

With Mike and a solid group of still young hardworking players the key to success is three fold in my opinion.....

1. How will this year's returnees improve their games.

2. What will Puk, Iati and Watts bring to the team next season.

3. We need atleast 1 true impact player from the 3 scholarship players coming in.

Maybe I'm a cynic but it seems from what Dr. M said in that interview that there is a little bit of an issue with the definition of roles on the team. At least he thinks there is something to talk about.

Patch, any concerns about going into next year with this young a team. What would you do with the three scholarships...best available or bring in a couple of experienced kids? I'm just wondering

He lived with some of Mike's mistakes, Black flourished and the team seemed to respond to Mike.

This is something that I'm glad to see happening. I never liked yanking players every time they make a mistake. Sometimes it's OK but the past few years it's been constant. Yes, Will still did that a good bit this year but not nearly as much with the younger guys as he has in the past. McRae, MJ and Ambrose still got pulled after stupid mistakes but I don't think it happened as much.

Maybe I'm a cynic but it seems from what Dr. M said in that interview that there is a little bit of an issue with the definition of roles on the team. At least he thinks there is something to talk about. - clickclack

McElroy did state that and it was clearly evident to him, CB and UA Fans that there was an issue. What was the cause of the issue??? Chemistry had alot to do with it and therefore chemistry has to be the major concern for next season - with regard to who we have already for next year, I think our big concern is Timmy how will he rebound from this season.

Patch, any concerns about going into next year with this young a team. What would you do with the three scholarships...best available or bring in a couple of experienced kids? I'm just wonde

I am always concerned with youth that's why I would not put any expectations on Puk, Watts or Iati. What I do like is that tthey have had a year around a DI program they are more adjusted to DI.

Black, Aronhalt and Metcalf were allowed to play and will come back as veterans and that's good. If each improves their game this off season the will be somewhere between good and competent DI players.

I think Billy Allen will be a leader, hopefully 2 years after Major back surgery consistency will start to show in his game.

I am concerned with Lindfors and Tartt both have in my opinion a big upside.....

Lindfors needs to commit himself to being an interior player who on occasion steps out to shoot the wide open three.

Tartt needs to gain strength and be a lock down defender and be more aggressive offensively.

As for the new players (I believe we have 3 scholarships)

IMO we need an 6'6" or so athletic 4/3 type player someone who attacks the glass and can score the ball around the rim (a beast)(JC)

I would like to get a 6'4" 2/3 who is physically more advanced than Watts, can shoot the rock and defend. (JC)

With the final schollie (if we have 3) the best available but not a 1 or a 2. Black can be backed up by Iati and or Tartt, I think, and they both have 3 years. At the 2 we have Marks coming in the following year and Logan has 3 years left and Watts has 4.

I know CB has to be concerned about his future - but he took a gamble the year he took Jordan and Zoellner the same year as transfers. If he can't find someone he truly loves he should get a transfer.

Though not a part of our youth I think Urli will be better next year.

Agree with just about everything you said there...

Totally agree on recruiting a PG...wait a year and grab one in the '11 class or even '12 if we have to. This will be Black's team and a combination of Iatia/Tartt can spell him next year. It would be nice to have a balance...bring in a freshmen when the other kid is a Junior or Senior so the young guy can have a year or two to learn before he takes the team over.

Also like what you had there about getting two JC kids...

Personally, I'd stay away from transfers...our recent experiment has left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Personally, I'd stay away from transfers...our recent experiment has left a very bitter taste in my mouth. - clickclack

I understand how you feel but I really wonder what would have happened if our last transfer actually sat out a year. I don't know if it would have changed things or not - Jordan and Zoellner both helped the program.

Personally, I'd stay away from transfers...our recent experiment has left a very bitter taste in my mouth. - clickclack

I understand how you feel but I really wonder what would have happened if our last transfer actually sat out a year. I don't know if it would have changed things or not - Jordan and Zoellner both helped the program.

I agree if Harris sat out a year it could have been different.

I fail to see how...? Would he have been more aggressive? Would he have been looking to draw contact instead of shying away? Would him sitting a year make him mentally tougher...better leader?

I fail to see how...? Would he have been more aggressive? Would he have been looking to draw contact instead of shying away? Would him sitting a year make him mentally tougher...better leader?

I feel all of those are possibilities. I mean spending three years with the program is different than two years. There was a reason he was a top 150 recruit.

EDIT: It's all moot at this point.

I don't know much about Puk. Who here thinks he has the touch, athleticism, and strength

to become a strong force down low?

I'm not sure about strength, but Lindfors has enough touch and athleticism that he should be

a possibility as a low post threat.

At 6'10" a piece, both of these players should be prime candidates for low post play.

I don't know much about Puk. Who here thinks he has the touch, athleticism, and strength

to become a strong force down low?

I'm not sure about strength, but Lindfors has enough touch and atleticism that he should be

a possibility as a low post threat.

At 6'10" a piece, both of these players should be prime candidates for low post play.

Can't wait to see Puk...you hear good things about him and his ability level but how will he develop and how his game translates to the D1 game remains to be seen.

Comparing him to Giff...just by his dunk alone prior to last years P/G game where he threw it down and had his knees up around his chest shows a little more athleticism then Giff had.

He'll be a freshmen so I have no expectations for him. Looking for a big year/continued growth out of Black and Logan next year. One or both making some kind of AE team is not out of the question especially for Black. He'll be one of if not the best PG in the conference next season if he can get his strength up. Needs to put on some weight.

Not having seen Puk play, I can't speculate on what he'll bring to the table but I have heard good things and he has put on a good amount of weight (strength??) since he was a SR in HS.

Lindfors is the guys who really interests and impresses me. He is big, long and athletic and could reek havoc inside defensively in the AE and it appears that he has solid offensive skills around the basket but his problem is that he thinks he's Brent Wilson.

I think if he would plant himself inside he would get big time minutes and be very successful in the AE. I wouldn't mind it if he took an occassional wide open three but I don't want to see him drifting outside jacking up perimeter shots.

If he commits to the interior game it would seriously help him and I think the team would benefit greatly. He, Black, Metcalf and a healthy Aronhalt would be a very nice Soph Class.

Archived