UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

One area that isn’t crucial at this time is the formerly proposed “Project 2010” which included the construction of a new football stadium.

The football stadium has not been funded. That was something that was not part of our capital allocations,” Philip said.

That doesn’t mean that all sports related programs are going to be stopped, though.

“What we hope to do, however, is to make improvements to the existing facilities,” he said. “For example, our track is not a regulation track, so our team is not able to have competitions on campus. We’re going to start making investments into the existing infrastructure which is basically repairs and upgrades, but we are not going to be in the position right now to spend $50 million on a new stadium.”

http://www.albanystudentpress.org/university-assessing-budget-cut-1.1546963

blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

WTF?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again... getting me all stressed.

Let's hope it was an attempted bypass, so he didn't have to go into detail

on the 'phased' construction.

He says were not in "position right now to spend $50 million on a new stadium"...

but we MAY be in position to spend a small percentage of that for the 1st phase...

Let's hope to GOD!

One area that isn’t crucial at this time is the formerly proposed “Project 2010” which included the construction of a new football stadium.

The football stadium has not been funded. That was something that was not part of our capital allocations,” Philip said.

That doesn’t mean that all sports related programs are going to be stopped, though.

“What we hope to do, however, is to make improvements to the existing facilities,” he said. “For example, our track is not a regulation track, so our team is not able to have competitions on campus. We’re going to start making investments into the existing infrastructure which is basically repairs and upgrades, but we are not going to be in the position right now to spend $50 million on a new stadium.”

http://www.albanystudentpress.org/university-assessing-budget-cut-1.1546963

blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

WTF?

This is a DIRECT contradiction of what I was told several weeks ago. Quite frankly, I don't believe it.

Yeah, agreed with Click. Though I have been critical of the school and a loudmouth about it (so I feel awkward telling others not to speak up now), this is one time that everyone should just keep the faith, not ask questions...and let happen what may or may not happen.

This time...there should be a cone of silence.

Yeah, agreed with Click. Though I have been critical of the school and a loudmouth about it (so I feel awkward telling others not to speak up now), this is one time that everyone should just keep the faith, not ask questions...and let happen what may or may not happen.

This time...there should be a cone of silence.

To add just a bit more...would people rather be reading editorials by the TU or blog entry how this is a waste of money?

It will get done!

I have zero faith in this administration that has proven time and time again that football is not a top priority.

Especially when the only public statement about this in 3 years is a quote from the President saying there is no money (again) for a football stadium.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

To add just a bit more...would people rather be reading editorials by the TU or blog entry how this is a waste of money?

It will get done!

The TU is going to publish short sided stupidity whether we want to read it or not. It is what they do.

I have been waiting for the day this gets done. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

It will be nice when Albany's home coming game or the football game they play for an ncaa berth is the largest attended college sporting event in the area each year.

Although my immediate reaction was paranoia, I quickly altered my perspective.

I don't think we have anything to worry about.

If I had to deal with nys politicians, local naysayers, and other officials involved with

everyday suny operations, I'd probably take the quiet road when trying to get anything done.

Announcing our intentions or wishes and actually getting support and approval would be like running

into a category 5 hurricane wind.

Couldn't technically the "Stadium" not be funded on it's own line in the budget but that the school plans to use other funds appropriated in the budget that legally can be used for this type of maintenance/project but weren't specifically appropriated for that "specific" purpose?

I don't know the specific appropriation lines that the school gets in the budget but most state entities get multiple types of funding sources (w/ specific guidelines on what they can be spent on) appropriated each year. Hypothetically, lets say that the school annually gets an appropriation that is suppose to be used for capital maintenance. In normal years maybe they use that to fix and maintain facilities. But as everyone knows the state is not in normal times. Hypothetically as long as it doesn't contradict the language in the appropriation they could use that fund to pay for a portion of the stadium. Technically... if Philip then stated "the stadium project" was not funded..that wouldn't be an inaccurate statement. The "project" wasn't funded but the school is using other funds legally and creatively to get the project rolling.

Now this is all hypothetical as I have zero inside information but it's just a thought of how the first phase could still be moving forward and Philip's statement would be accurate. I agree that we don't know what's really going on, so it could be something like this or could be something completly different. Either way let's hope the first phase is still moving forward.

Couldn't technically the "Stadium" not be funded on it's own line in the budget but that the school plans to use other funds appropriated in the budget that legally can be used for this type of maintenance/project but weren't specifically appropriated for that "specific" purpose?

I don't know the specific appropriation lines that the school gets in the budget but most state entities get multiple types of funding sources (w/ specific guidelines on what they can be spent on) appropriated each year. Hypothetically, lets say that the school annually gets an appropriation that is suppose to be used for capital maintenance. In normal years maybe they use that to fix and maintain facilities. But as everyone knows the state is not in normal times. Hypothetically as long as it doesn't contradict the language in the appropriation they could use that fund to pay for a portion of the stadium. Technically... if Philip then stated "the stadium project" was not funded..that wouldn't be an inaccurate statement. The "project" wasn't funded but the school is using other funds legally and creatively to get the project rolling.

Now this is all hypothetical as I have zero inside information but it's just a thought of how the first phase could still be moving forward and Philip's statement would be accurate. I agree that we don't know what's really going on, so it could be something like this or could be something completly different. Either way let's hope the first phase is still moving forward.

The devil is in the details of what Philip said..."That was something that was not a part of our capital allocations"

OK WTF? Why must we be silent about Phillip's remarks? What the hell are we waiting for? Why produce the stadium video and then bury it in the Vaults at Warner Bros. or even worst Distney studios. What and Who are we afraid of? This stadium is a good thing for the school and the community. The TU will be negative no matter when and what we announce, and like they say even bad publicity is better than none at all. We are not trying to build a mosque at ground zero; lets get this stadium (years past due) "OUT THERE" and started.

Here's a thought--let's get a punch of us out there with shovels and start digging and wait for the press or the police to show up. I bet that would get us some press.

I just do not understand why we cannot get the video released, fund raising started and if necessary a pitch battle going with the nay sayers?

OK WTF? Why must we be silent about Phillip's remarks? What the hell are we waiting for? Why produce the stadium video and then bury it in the Vaults at Warner Bros. or even worst Distney studios. What and Who are we afraid of? This stadium is a good thing for the school and the community. The TU will be negative no matter when and what we announce, and like they say even bad publicity is better than none at all. We are not trying to build a mosque at ground zero; lets get this stadium (years past due) "OUT THERE" and started.

Here's a thought--let's get a punch of us out there with shovels and start digging and wait for the press or the police to show up. I bet that would get us some press.

I just do not understand why we cannot get the video released, fund raising started and if necessary a pitch battle going with the nay sayers?

IMO it's an unnecessary fight at this point. I could see us doing that if we had no other choice. As of right now, fighting that battle would gain us NOTHING (other then negative pub) and would draw unwanted attention leading to perhaps a loss of what we've been able to secure.

Must pick our battles wisely.

Archived