UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Never ever happen.

First, not enough land to support the consolidation of the four flagships. Second, that would start an all out war. For example, no one in the Capital District would stand for losing what is now probably closer to 1.5-1.7 in local revenue. You would have enemies band together to stop it.

There are numerous other reasons...but this is a non-starter in my humble opinion

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree there is room for humanities, languages and athletics; and not every SUNY needs to have every program to the same degree. My beef is with the Svares' of this world who blame athletics for their misfortunes. Thank you to those of you who helped clarify my position. My other point being that college athletics has always been a step child at SUNY and UA, and it would be an understatement to say New York State missed the boat years ago where DI athletics is concerned. Anyhow, Ford is due, our athletes past and present are due, the stadium is long over due. IT IS THEIR TURN. The athletic department has always been an asset to the University and the athletes (with very very few exceptions) have always been a credit to UA and the Capitol district.

I say this with two degrees from UA, my wife also has two (one in Russian haha), my middle son has a degree in Honors English from UA. and my oldest son has a degree from Geneseo and a PHD from Suny Upstate Medical Center. None of us are athletes, only fans.

Perhaps if the Stadium is named something like the "Bob Ford Center for Recreational and Cross-Cultural Studies and Advancement," the humanities people would be have a better view of athletics? :D

. . . could even offer a few PE classes that are taught in a foreign language and allocate a few football scholarships each year to exchange students of, e.g., France, Russia . . . . :ph34r:

In all seriousness, would an agreement with another local university (or even Empire State) be one way to allow UAlbany students who want to "major" and earn a degree in these ax'ed programs be possible? I don't know how the logistics would work, but students take classes at other schools in joint-degree programs all the time. For example, see the Masters in Taxation program at UAlbany:

http://www.albany.edu/graduatebulletin/business_ms_taxation.htm

Never ever happen.

First, not enough land to support the consolidation of the four flagships. Second, that would start an all out war. For example, no one in the Capital District would stand for losing what is now probably closer to 1.5-1.7 in local revenue. You would have enemies band together to stop it.

There are numerous other reasons...but this is a non-starter in my humble opinion

Sorry, I disagree. IF the SUNY system is bent on getting rid of schools, with flagships included, then UA would be one of the first to go. There's a strong feeling out in the boonies that the Albany area gets too many benefits from being the capital of a bloated state bureaucracy. Binghamton University means much more to Binghamton and the University of Buffalo means too much to that area than UA means to the Capital District. Even within the Capital District, the feeling for UA is not nearly as strong as the affinity the people in Binghamton and Buffalo have for their schools.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure what is common knowledge or not at this point. Seeing that everyone here has been

following the stadium/football drama for the past few years, I thought I'd share this.

This is a response received to a few questions:

"Thanks for your support of U Albany football

Our vision is to continue in the NEC until we get a break in the economy.

Stony Brook has received 80 million dollars in State aid for facilities from Sen. Lavalle.

Their President has pledged full support from a University budget four times larger than Albany's.

Albany must continue to win as we will break ground on our stadium project in April of 2011"

I'm not sure what is common knowledge or not at this point. Seeing that everyone here has been

following the stadium/football drama for the past few years, I thought I'd share this.

Albany must continue to win as we will break ground on our stadium project in April of 2011"

This is the type of chatter I've been hearing also, can you ask why there hasn't been anything public? No drawings, no info, nothing...what will be included in PhaseI?

The follow up:

"Phase I will be 7000 seats with a buildout for the future as funding is available to 25000.

Coach Ford and the designers are at work now to identify layout and schemes for the 2012 opening.

Thanks for your support of our student athletes. We will have additional announcements in early 2o11."

Told ya guys...though many of us have been sweating.

My guess is we are out of the NEC as soon as a real offer is made to us for a new conference.

What is exciting to me is that they did indeed go up from the RFP number of 6,000 seats to 7,000 seats. It may sound insane...but that makes a MASSIVE DIFFERENCE. I was trying to figure out how the hell they would do it.

I believe Danefan thinks the whole bowl will be done (leaving the tower and one deck for Phase 2...and each of the three remaining decks over 2-3 additional Phases). That would probably give us 2,000 on each lower side and 1,500 in the endzones. Upper deck would like be 5,000 on each side and 4,000 in the endzones.

Get the excitement started!!!

Told ya guys...though many of us have been sweating.

My guess is we are out of the NEC as soon as a real offer is made to us for a new conference.

What is exciting to me is that they did indeed go up from the RFP number of 6,000 seats to 7,000 seats. It may sound insane...but that makes a MASSIVE DIFFERENCE. I was trying to figure out how the hell they would do it.

I believe Danefan thinks the whole bowl will be done (leaving the tower and one deck for Phase 2...and each of the three remaining decks over 2-3 additional Phases). That would probably give us 2,000 on each lower side and 1,500 in the endzones. Upper deck would like be 5,000 on each side and 4,000 in the endzones.

Get the excitement started!!!

Hard for me to get excited with the never ending...just over them hills is the pot of gold. We as fans keep trudging on hoping that finally it's not a lie.

I'll start to get excited when dirt is moving.

Now this is the talk I like!

What exactly does this mean:

"Coach Ford and the designers are at work now to identify layout and schemes for the 2012 opening.""

Layout probably meaning what portion of the 25000 seats to build first. The whole lower bowl? Home side only with a second deck?

I'll get excited only when dirt moves. Everything else is just e same talk we've heard for 5+ years.

The beautiful part about dreaming this time is:

- they are actually saying we have funding... and that we have funding for a 25k seat complex

I've got a good feeling this time.

I read that much differently. Saying that they will build out..in the future..to 25000..when funding is available.

The beautiful part about dreaming this time is:

- they are actually saying we have funding... and that we have funding for a 25k seat complex

I've got a good feeling this time.

I read that much differently. Saying that they will build out..in the future..to 25000..when funding is available.

My take also. Get the first phase built, win some games, and that place will sell out in no time. Then apply the pressure.

An if it's "dirt moving" you want, I can be on the soccer pitch tomorrow morning at 9AM with shovel in hand so we can start this year out right.

Archived