UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

CAA looking for two full members?

LEADERSHIP. Period.

McElroy is useless...and the death of Kermit Hall sent us spiraling. Pres P came in and turned it around quick...hopefully the new one continues. McElroy is not a visionary in the sense of knowing how to scale and get your prize.

I think this best explains it. And the only reason SBU has made any steps is because LaValle funneled every cent he could into the university.

Although SUNY has never much cared on making NY nationally competitive on the athletics side of things. Buffalo has been a joke at the top level.

I know the prevailing opinion is to look at UB and SBU as the devil and say...they have an unfair advantage especially SBU with LaValle...my view is slightly different. I say good for them...good for them that they had someone to fight for them, that they have the political will and intestinal fortitude to get what they wanted or at least try. We have no one to blame but ourselves, where have our local politicians been? How come McElroy can't get a damn thing done...he's been spinning his wheels for a decade, 7 years of which he spent trying to ram through a $60 million pipe dream.

We can sit here and call Fiore an egomaniac...but I ask...where is our egomaniac? The only SUNY center worse off then us is Binghamton...their big plan to stimulate their part of the state is open a law school...

Edited by Clickclack

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LEADERSHIP. Period.

McElroy is useless...and the death of Kermit Hall sent us spiraling. Pres P came in and turned it around quick...hopefully the new one continues. McElroy is not a visionary in the sense of knowing how to scale and get your prize.

I think this best explains it. And the only reason SBU has made any steps is because LaValle funneled every cent he could into the university.

Although SUNY has never much cared on making NY nationally competitive on the athletics side of things. Buffalo has been a joke at the top level.

I know the prevailing opinion is to look at UB and SBU as the devil and say...they have an unfair advantage especially SBU with LaValle...my view is slightly different. I say good for them...good for them that they had someone to fight for them, that they have the political will and intestinal fortitude to get what they wanted or at least try. We have no one to blame but ourselves, where have our local politicians been? How come McElroy can't get a damn thing done...he's been spinning his wheels for a decade, 7 years of which he spent trying to ram through a $60 million pipe dream.

We can sit here and call Fiore an egomaniac...but I ask...where is our egomaniac? The only SUNY center worse off then us is Binghamton...their big plan to stimulate their part of the state is open a law school...

I agree and I'll even admit that i was one of the ones for the longest time crying "dirty pool". You have to go out and take what you want in NYS politics. No one is going to give it to you.

LEADERSHIP. Period.

I agree and I'll even admit that i was one of the ones for the longest time crying "dirty pool". You have to go out and take what you want in NYS politics. No one is going to give it to you.

I was 'that guy' as well...time to focus on us and get our 'ish together rather then looking over there (west/south) with envy. We have a lot to offer, and really are doing some great things, there is a plan and a vision for the future. Good luck to SBU and UB!

What's up with all the hate? We have a gleaming new stadium on the way and everyone is bitching about our athletics department. Maybe I'm just being naive, but I refuse to believe we are building BOB FORD STADIUM to just sit idly by in the NEC. Things will progress after we have our stadium, I am confident in that.

What's up with all the hate? We have a gleaming new stadium on the way and everyone is bitching about our athletics department. Maybe I'm just being naive, but I refuse to believe we are building BOB FORD STADIUM to just sit idly by in the NEC. Things will progress after we have our stadium, I am confident in that.

It's not "hate" but rather a long time of wheels spinning...we have yet to see what they actually build.

You clearly were not lied to...in person...by our athletics department while they were trying to get money from you.

I will forever hold resentment until A) I get an apology; or B)I get a real outlook on our vision.

You walk into my "house" and ask for my money, treat me like I am dunce without a degree, i.e. as if I cannot analytically break something down to figure out what is really going on, and tell me 10 different stories in a couple of year span...it becomes a personal issue.

To me, explaining point B, rather than an apology, would suffice.

Edited by Dane96

I don't think geography explains it all. Stony Brook, UConn and other northern schools have much less resistance than the constant push back that UAlbany faces.

We might not hear about it but there has been some resistance at SBU. In 2010 one of the Long Island assmeblyman called for SBU's president to resign because of financial mismanagement.

USA Today also had a story the other day about Pikiell's contract.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like UAlbany may be on the outside looking in again. A couple of articles on CAA expansion noting Stony Brook. Any chance SBU would make the case for including Albany?... local and historical competitor. If Stony Brook does get admitted we need to fill their spot in the Big South!

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/13/who-will-join-the-caa-anyone-bueller/

"Stony Brook also fields a FCS football team, and an emerging hoops squad that would likely struggle to adapt to the higher level of basketball played in the CAA."

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20120413/SPORTS07/204130330/As-Georgia-State-departs-conference-s-future-unclear?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cs

"But Stony Brook, located on Long Island, has also figured strongly in the speculation. Boston University's name has even popped up. Both are America East members. Each would also have a built-in neighboring CAA rival -- Hofstra for Stony Brook and Northeastern for Boston U."

Edited by SoCal_Dane

Nothing in those articles are anything more than speculation; Grain=Salt

That said, by virtue of their AD alone they are ahead of us in the pecking order. Frankly, until it straightens out...I don't want to be in a full CAA.

SBU will be in CAA Football if they do anything, I think. And that is what we should be fighting for.

Lenn Robbins ‏ @LennRobbins Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

CAA sending emails to members saying no addition of Mason and VCU...administrators in A-10 and other East conferences say it's a go

LOL...CAA is denying it the A-10 and other conferences on the East coast are saying YUP!

what's going on in that league? why are these schools jumping ship?

Georgia State was always a short stop in the CAA. They were a geographical outlier and always was destined to end up back in the Sun Belt, a conference they helped form in the 70s.

GMU and VCU don't play football and I assume think the A10 is a better bball conference. Add those two and Butler and youve got a really solid conference.

One thing to remember in all of this is the CAA Football conference is a separate conference from the CAA. It's administered by the same people, but the members are different. Take U.uN and Maine for example. They are considered affiliates in the CAA Football conference. They are full members with full votes.

One thing that could happen in all of this is the CAA adds three full sport members that also play football. UA, SBU and Coastal Carolina could work nicely. Coastal has expressed interest in CAA membership.

Edited by danefan