UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Purple and Gold Scrimmage

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Meet and Greet it sounds like Tanner Gibson's foot injury might be the serious one. They are waiting for MRI results to find out his status.

M+G was a fun event and seemed well attended. No huge news that I remember. Both Metcalf and Jon Puk have lost 30 pounds over the summer. We also met our new walk-on, Reece Williams. I think is a guard from Woodlands HS but maybe someone else remembers better.

Coach Brown alluded to the AE possibly adding two additonal teams in the future but didn't shed anymore light than that.

Edited by Dane Pound

I liked Weiggman as well. For those that follow the women's team, he seems like a male version of Julie Forster and I mean that as a compliment to both players.

Puk's one handed catch of a lob and slam was amazing. I really liked the more confident, aggressive version of Puk 3.0

Tough battle for minutes between a bunch of guys. From what I saw you could make an argument to start any of the three Juco guys. DJ Evans is as fun to watch as I'd hoped he'd be. It would be a small backcourt but matching him and Mike Black would be really entertaining.

Pretty sure this is the first time Coach Brown has done the open practice thing and I liked it a lot. Between this and the meet and greet it was a terrific basketball weekend to get primed for Nov. 9th.

Agreed on the open practice...less pomp more substance. Even though I was on my phone a lot for work I was still following along, very informative, lots of teaching. Really interesting.

I thought Eveans was a bit to hesitant...rarely tried to get into the lane...maybe I'm wrong on that...with his speed he needs to push more.

It is really hard to evaluate when a team plays itself. Some players come off looking better than they are and others because everyone is familiar, do not show what they are capable of. So here goes a couple observations with the stipulation I could be 100% wrong. First of all, Puk looks like all AmEast first team, even player of the year--he was really that good yesterday in the practice and the scrimmage. Weiggman looks like a player. Somewhere on the recruiting thread it was commented that he was just filling a roster spot--FAR FROM IT, at least by what he showed yesterday. Pound said it could be agued any of the three juco's could start and I will go one farther, based on yesterday it is not inconceivable that all three could start.

More later maybe, the wife is calling me away. Looking forward to more input from others who were there yesterday.

just to complete my thoughts from yesterday. Based on the practice and scrimmage, at this point:

Black is the man, he appears on a mission [the loss to brook must still sting or the loss of Logan and G, but he seems to have a fearsome determination].

Puk enough said above, Blake more than capable of spelling Puk.

Weiggman a little above Luke at this point, but I am betting on Luke to start.

Johnson over Guerrrier, Johnson seems to be a better slasher and stronger around the basket, but Jason a better shooter when he is on. Could be a real battle for minutes between these two.

DJ Evans over Hooley, only because Hooley still nursing ankle injury {yet he plays hard with reckless abandonment (I mean this as a compliment)}. I think Hooley wins out starting, with DJ getting a lot of minutes backing up both Hooley and Black.

Iati out with a concussion until 10/24, but I see him as instant offense off the bench and if DJ does not provide the pest defense claimed, look for Jacob here also.

Gibson MRI on foot pending (season ending????). Paige very disappointing Saturday-could be jitters @ this point.

OK I know a lot more people were there Saturday, so feel free to add your thoughts. I for one am very optimistic about the season, but I guess I always feel this way after the intra squad scrimmage--hope "springs" eternal in baseball; I do not know the appropriate sentiment for pre-season basketball, but opening day only 2 1/2 weeks away.

Edited by dslyank

just to complete my thoughts from yesterday. Based on the practice and scrimmage, at this point:

Black is the man, he appears on a mission [the loss to brook must still sting or the loss of Logan and G, but he seems to have a fearsome determination].

Puk enough said above, Blake more than capable of spelling Puk.

Weiggman a little above Luke at this point, but I am betting on Luke to start.

Johnson over Guerrrier, Johnson seems to be a better slasher and stronger around the basket, but Jason a better shooter when he is on. Could be a real battle for minutes between these two.

DJ Evans over Hooley, only because Hooley still nursing ankle injury {yet he plays hard with reckless abandonment (I mean this as a compliment)}. I think Hooley wins out starting, with DJ getting a lot of minutes backing up both Hooley and Black.

Iati out with a concussion until 10/24, but I see him as instant offense off the bench and if DJ does not provide the pest defense claimed, look for Jacob here also.

Gibson MRI on foot pending (season ending????). Paige very disappointing Saturday-could be jitters @ this point.

OK I know a lot more people were there Saturday, so feel free to add your thoughts. I for one am very optimistic about the season, but I guess I always feel this way after the intra squad scrimmage--hope "springs" eternal in baseball; I do not know the appropriate sentiment for pre-season basketball, but opening day only 2 1/2 weeks away.

Good over view - from what you saw what do you think our opening dat starting five will look like??

I know Black starts but after that I have questions on the other 4 positions????

Can we play Metcalf and Puk together? Can we play Metcalf, Puk and Devlin together?

Can we get away with playing two of the following three DJ,Black and Iati together (very small backcourt)?

Are Johnson and Weigman 3s or 4s? I was disappointed in their rebounding and Johnson's FT shooting.

Luke looked like he was moving much better than last season.

Where or will Rowley get minutes?

The team looked very unselfish

Edited by Patch

While Metcalf battled hard he continued to miss from 3 feet and in repeatedly...at this point my starting 5 would be...

-Black

-Gurrier

-Johnson

-Devlin

-Puk

- Evans to spell Black and Gurrier where he can either run the point when Mike isn't in or move Mike to the two and have Gurrier bring the ball up.

- Hooley off the bench to spell Gurrier and Johnson

- Weigman should be the first wing off the bench to spell both Johnson or Devlin.

- Metcalf to spell Puk...can go real big with Puk and Metcalf but then you are taking away offense and shooting, I'd use this in spots.

- Page/Iati

While Metcalf battled hard he continued to miss from 3 feet and in repeatedly...at this point my starting 5 would be...

-Black

-Gurrier

-Johnson

-Devlin

-Puk

- Evans to spell Black and Gurrier where he can either run the point when Mike isn't in or move Mike to the two and have Gurrier bring the ball up.

- Weigman should be the first wing off the bench to spell both Johnson or Devlin.

- Metcalf to spell Puk...can go real big with Puk and Metcalf but then you are taking away offense and shooting, I'd use this in spots.

- Page/Iati

Click for as much as you follow UA Basketball Have you ever seen Guerrier handle the ball? He's a pure catch and shoot guy 1 dribble max . I will bet he will get ZERO minutes at the point and almost "0" minutes at the 2. Last season he was an undersized 4 most of the time. He will probably get more minutes this season at the 3.

Hooley may play the 1,2 or 3 and Rowley should get sometime as an undersized 4

I also believe DJ will get big minutes

Practice should be very competitive.

Edited by Patch

I enjoyed the open practice and scrimmage..especially the practice. As a poster mentioned..it's a bit tough to evaluate when the team is playing itself..but it at least provides some insight on roles.

For those who couldn't make it..the Mike Black led team beat the DJ Evans' led team 38-27. The teams were Black, Johnson, Rowley, Devlin, Puk and Williams vs. Evans, Hooley, Guerrier, Wiegmann, Metcalf and Page. Gibson and Iati sat out. I did hear that Gibson's MRI came back negative.

My thoughts on our new players:

Page - Took a number of shots..but missed a number of shots..wasn't really involved much past that. If those shots start going in..he'll be a great shooter off the bench.

Hooley - Still looks a little slowed with ankle/foot issues. Seemed in control and was able to get to the hoop a few times. Could definitely be an important contributor if/when he gets healthy.

Wiegmann - Extremely active..always around the ball. Rebounded better in practice than in the scrimmage. Game is similar to Devlin's (rebounding and outside shooting)..but perhaps a bit more athletic. Could definitely challenge for the starting 4 spot.

Johnson - Definitely the wing/slasher type player with a bit of an outside shot..in the mold of Siggers. Was able to get to the rim..but will have to be careful not to fall into the 'charge' trap. FWIW..he played SG during the scrimmage with Rowley at the 3.

Evans - Played PG well during the scrimmage..even beating Black a couple times. High energy defender..seemed very emotional..in a good way.

Starting line-up is tough..a lot of different ways the staff could go. Black will obviously start..I'll guess Puk over Metcalf..and probably Devlin over Wiegmann. I thought I heard previous talk of wanting to move Black off the ball..which could put Iati or Evans at the point..but that would obviously be a very small back court. Depending on the PG situation..I think either Guerrier and/or Johnson will start..most likely Guerrier if there's room for just one of them.

-Black

-Gurrier

-Johnson

-Devlin

-Puk

- Page/Iati

EDIT: I mean to say Evans bring the ball up not Gurrier.

Also I unintentionally left out Rowley...at this point I'd play him over Blake as well...I really like Rowleys game, very cerebral and has a nose for rebounding the ball.

Edited by Clickclack

I also inadvertently left out Rawley. Maybe it was because (in my opinion) he is a man without a position. Can't shoot, poor (maybe moderate) ball handler, too short, rebounds well but too short, defends well but too short; but I love what the kid brings. I just do not know where to play him. He does get his points and rebounds and can bang pretty well but too short. In my day (1/2 century ago) we called a player like Rawley a "garbage man" and we meant that in an extremely complimentary way.