UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stony Brook 1/29

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems like a good time for my obligatory (since the "blowing a 19 point lead against your undermanned crosstown rival" game) once a year post on the state of the men's basketball program (even if I did post once after the Bingo game this year.)

My thoughts?

1) End of the first half tonight (about 15 seconds to go):

• SBU inbounding the ball; UA with four team fouls (2 to give.)
  • SBU inbounds the ball. A few dribbles. Maybe a pass or two. Clock down to about ten seconds.
  • UA fouls, forcing SBU to inbound again.
  • SBU inbounds the ball. A few dribbles. Maybe a pass or two. Clock down to about five seconds.
  • UA does not use the last foul to give, and waits until the SBU player is in the act of shooting.
  • SBU player makes 1 of 2 and goes into halftime with a six point lead instead of a five point lead.
  • WHAT GIVES! (Am I missing something?)

2) Blackout promotion tonight:

• First 1,000 fans get a free T-shirt with a pre-season potential POY's name and number on it.
  • The kid wearing the T-shirt in the contest during one of the time-outs scores on a lay-up, hits one of his free throws, and ices a three pointer on one attempt.
  • The kid/man wearing the official jersey gets shut out.
  • WHAT GIVES!

3) If the conference tourney is the only thing that matters (according to many on this board), and because players with incomplete scouting reports have enjoyed so much success this year, going forward I think the coaching staff should:

• Start players 9 through 13 in the regular season slate.
  • Secure the 8 seed in the tourney by going 0-16 in conference.
  • Break out new starters in the form of the five best players, using the next three best as reserves.
  • Win three games in the AE Tournament before the coaches have a time to adjust.
  • Get into one of the NCAA play-in games and run the table from there.

Either that, or start beating the upper tier of the league. This is no longer a SMALL SAMPLE SIZE!

-Transmission ended.

This seems like a good time for my obligatory (since the "blowing a 19 point lead against your undermanned crosstown rival" game) once a year post on the state of the men's basketball program (even if I did post once after the Bingo game this year.)

My thoughts?

1) End of the first half tonight (about 15 seconds to go):

• SBU inbounding the ball; UA with four team fouls (2 to give.)
  • SBU inbounds the ball. A few dribbles. Maybe a pass or two. Clock down to about ten seconds.
  • UA fouls, forcing SBU to inbound again.
  • SBU inbounds the ball. A few dribbles. Maybe a pass or two. Clock down to about five seconds.
  • UA does not use the last foul to give, and waits until the SBU player is in the act of shooting.
  • SBU player makes 1 of 2 and goes into halftime with a six point lead instead of a five point lead.
  • WHAT GIVES! (Am I missing something?)

2) Blackout promotion tonight:

• First 1,000 fans get a free T-shirt with a pre-season potential POY's name and number on it.
  • The kid wearing the T-shirt in the contest during one of the time-outs scores on a lay-up, hits one of his free throws, and ices a three pointer on one attempt.
  • The kid/man wearing the official jersey gets shut out.
  • WHAT GIVES!

3) If the conference tourney is the only thing that matters (according to many on this board), and because players with incomplete scouting reports have enjoyed so much success this year, going forward I think the coaching staff should:

• Start players 9 through 13 in the regular season slate.
  • Secure the 8 seed in the tourney by going 0-16 in conference.
  • Break out new starters in the form of the five best players, using the next three best as reserves.
  • Win three games in the AE Tournament before the coaches have a time to adjust.
  • Get into one of the NCAA play-in games and run the table from there.

Either that, or start beating the upper tier of the league. This is no longer a SMALL SAMPLE SIZE!

-Transmission ended.

Classic!

What a disaster. We officially suck against the top teams in the conference and we will not be dancin this year.

WHY IS BROWN STILL PLAYING IATI. He has been figured out 100% and is USELESS now.

Glad he finally played Johnson some decent minutes, kid looked good and will only get better. He needs to replace Iati with Page.

Iati and Black have both been scouted and figured out. They are no longer factors in the last 4-5 games.

I too will not be attending the rest of the regular season games. I'll be there for the tourney, but I'm done with the regular season.

Thank God I'm a Miami Heat fan and can actually enjoy their games.

Edited by Ilko

Should I jump in and chit chat? Sure. I can't blame the players. I think they're trying their best and hustling.

Hag, I couldn't figure out that sequence of events leading to the free throws just before the half either. I just sensed

it wasn't going to turn out well. Click, I couldn't agree more.

I'm not mad, I'm not upset. I'm just tired of the leadership/coaching staff of this program. How many years have we gone through

the same old song and dance? You see what quality talent in coaching looks like when you look at coach Abe and her program.

I'm sorry to say, I've never been impressed with Brown as a coach. Or his sidekick.

We've got a new stadium rising, we are entering the CAA.... football is rocking, field hockey is rocking, track and field is rocking, women's lacrosse is rocking, men's lacrosse brought us to the ncaa quarter finals (and I do believe we are going to have an exceptional season so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, for now) ..... I think after 12 years, we've come to realize that a coaching change is needed... we need to upgrade and say thank you for what Brown has done for the program (and forget what he hasn't done)

Some of the programs in the AE have vastly improved. We can not continue accepting the idea that getting lucky once a decade is what our university deserves.

Edited by uofalbany

What a disaster. We officially suck against the top teams in the conference and we will not be dancin this year.

WHY IS BROWN STILL PLAYING IATI. He has been figured out 100% and is USELESS now.

Glad he finally played Johnson some decent minutes, kid looked good and will only get better. He needs to replace Iati with Page.

Iati and Black have both been scouted and figured out. They are no longer factors in the last 4-5 games.

I too will not be attending the rest of the regular season games. I'll be there for the tourney, but I'm done with the regular season.

Miami heat? Eeew lol.

Should I jump in and chit chat? Sure. I can't blame the players. I think they're trying their best and hustling.

Hag, I couldn't figure out that sequence of events leading to the free throws just before the half either. I just sensed

it wasn't going to turn out well. Click, I couldn't agree more.

I'm not mad, I'm not upset. I'm just tired of the leadership/coaching staff of this program. How many years have we gone through

the same old song and dance? You see what quality talent in coaching looks like when you look at coach Abe and her program.

I'm sorry to say, I've never been impressed with Brown as a coach. Or his sidekick.

We've got a new stadium rising, we are entering the CAA.... football is rocking, field hockey is rocking, track and field is rocking, women's lacrosse is rocking, men's lacrosse brought us to the ncaa quarter finals (and I do believe we are going to have an exceptional season so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, for now) ..... I think after 12 years, we've come to realize that a coaching change is needed... we need to upgrade and say thank you for what Brown has done for the program (and forget what he hasn't done)

Some of the programs in the AE have vastly improved. We can not continue accepting the idea that getting lucky once a decade is what our university deserves.

Vermont is bringing some exceptional talent next year...Pikiell is starting to kill it on the trail. Look at Warney...that kid is going to dominate us for years, we couldn't stop him today.

Meanwhile we are told that Gifford is our best big man recruit ever...the guy had led boots up to his thighs...seriously, there is something wrong with that analysis of an incoming recruit. We have JUCO galore with more coming next year...so while SBU and UVM build their program and recruit players that grow into the system....we will have at least 5 JUCO if not 6. The JUCO route continues to NOT work, we are getting VERY little production out of JUCO's and yet we continue to pound away.

I'm not sure why Gary Johnson hasn't been worked into the rotation through the season. Tonight he and DJ Evans got thrown to the wolves against the best team in the conference.

I don't know what's going on with Black.

Iati just does not look right to me. He seems like Logan Aronhalt was last year with his injury.

I'm sorry Iati doesn't look right because teams have figured him out. Black is a confidence thing and he has none left. I don't understand why they wouldn't move him off the ball so he can get some open looks or something off screens. Have Holley play the point. Having black handle the ball and driving the crowded lane and getting stopped at the rim will not help that confidence.

Lineup needs to be...

Hooley

black

Johnson

Rowley

puk

We are going to disagree on some things but Gary Johnson isn't going to be one of them. If he can score as effciently as he did against SBU, he can probably do it against any defense in the conference.

Where has the coaching staff been? They run Iati into the ground while this kid just rots on the bench? Iati couldn't get off the bench last year until they had no choice and then it was like wow... He can shoot... Really? Hello?