UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany vs. Maine (2/9/2013)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOTHING...and I MEAN NOTHING will happen until the Catholic 7 and the BE split. Once that occurs...the A-Ten or the CAA could be at risk. The MAC could lose schools to the new BE (UMASS).

There are dominoes to be had...and frankly sitting where we are, building our brand (which doesnt ALWAYS mean wins) and building facilities are what counts.

No matter what anyone wants to believe or not...the CAA Football brand is going to be the impetus to gaining more recognition among AD's. Period. When you are at the CAA level down the NEC...you are not being plucked to the big time unless you are an anomaly like VCU or Butler.

Being on National TV...playing FBS schools and playing big time FCS schools will put us on the map. The other programs will follow suit because they are either really good right now (softball, track and field, field hockey) or getting on track and solid (Basketball M/W and Lax).

I'm ok where we are right now... Let's grow and get stronger...

With BU's exit, this conference is headed south. I agree we need to get stronger.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Live next to BU...they are a non-factor in this city, in the media, and elsewhere. They are a hockey school that happens to be ok in other sports.

BU made a lateral move.

NOTHING...and I MEAN NOTHING will happen until the Catholic 7 and the BE split. Once that occurs...the A-Ten or the CAA could be at risk. The MAC could lose schools to the new BE (UMASS).

There are dominoes to be had...and frankly sitting where we are, building our brand (which doesnt ALWAYS mean wins) and building facilities are what counts.

No matter what anyone wants to believe or not...the CAA Football brand is going to be the impetus to gaining more recognition among AD's. Period. When you are at the CAA level down the NEC...you are not being plucked to the big time unless you are an anomaly like VCU or Butler.

Being on National TV...playing FBS schools and playing big time FCS schools will put us on the map. The other programs will follow suit because they are either really good right now (softball, track and field, field hockey) or getting on track and solid (Basketball M/W and Lax).

So what you are saying is...exciting times ahead??

I firmly believe we are on the upswing. Firmly.

It takes time folks...it takes time. 8 years ago Football had something like 4 full-time assistant coaches. Look what we have now.

Track and Field was barely funded...look what we have now.

Basketball finished with four on the floor...we are infinitely better now.

It takes time...and even good OVERALL athletic programs suffer downswings at times.

With BU's exit, this conference is headed south. I agree we need to get stronger.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Live next to BU...they are a non-factor in this city, in the media, and elsewhere. They are a hockey school that happens to be ok in other sports.

BU made a lateral move.

I agree with D96's disagreement (but I also agree with the sentiment that we need to make the America East Conference stronger). Beyond Commonwealth Avenue, BU doesn't get much coverage. From my own experience, I have often tried without success to find coverage of BU basketball in the Boston Globe.

BU basketball doesn't even play that often (or at all?) in Agganis Arena, which is a shame. I enjoyed watching basketball there at the America East Tournament a few years ago.

As far as the America East Conference goes, I have always wanted it to develop into the hub of Northeastern/New England public schools. Drop Hartford, pick up Rhode Island or some other defection (CCSU?), and slowly---but surely---build our program to the point that it is ready for a conference upgrade 10-20 years from now.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

BU made a lateral move.

I agree with D96's disagreement (but I also agree with the sentiment that we need to make the America East Conference stronger). Beyond Commonwealth Avenue, BU doesn't get much coverage. From my own experience, I have often tried without success to find coverage of BU basketball in the Boston Globe.

BU basketball doesn't even play that often (or at all?) in Agganis Arena, which is a shame. I enjoyed watching basketball there at the America East Tournament a few years ago.

As far as the America East Conference goes, I have always wanted it to develop into the hub of Northeastern/New England public schools. Drop Hartford, pick up Rhode Island or some other defection (CCSU?), and slowly---but surely---build our program to the point that it is ready for a conference upgrade 10-20 years from now.

Yup...pretty much agree.

And look at this tasty tidbit from the Athletic Department: With today's indoor track and field America East titles, the UAlbany athletic department has now won 60 conference titles in the DI era.

That's just under 5 titles per year in DI. All you have to do is look across town to see what "mired in mediocrity" really means.

I don't think you can say necessarily better off; but is it a huge downgrade? No. Directionally speaking for the conference...it is better in as much as BU doesn't have decision making stranglehold capability.

If it weren't for BU (and this is a fact, not supposition) the AE banner would have AE Hockey, with the star power of Boston College, and likely AE football.

Off hand, I'd have to think nearly a 1/4 of those titles are track and field.

Edited by Dane96

Sigh. My My.

Ok...so we have 33 titles in 13 years. That's at least 1.5 champions per semester...on a paltry budget that broke the 10mm mark less than 4 years ago and has seen less money from University coffers (I believe a 10% decrease), while at least doing minimal to massive upgrades on all facilities (cosmetic or new construction).

I will take it with eyes on the future.

We have won more titles, if memory serves, than ALL the SUNY's combined.