UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany vs. Maine (2/9/2013)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer seeing this program dominant year in and year out, in this conference.

Which programs' fans don't think they should be dominant year after year? UVM, SBU, BUMA all feel entitled to the 'dominant team' (regardless of results). Hartford thinks they're on the rise. The others think they only need a new coach.
I'd like to see an conference upgrade. We will not see a conference upgrade being mediocre in the america east.

Seriously, which conference? The sixteen-team (three public) Atlantic-10? The CAA is back near our level, throw out the conferences with FBS football, and everybody in the South and Midwest, who's left? The Patriot? Is that the upgrade you're looking for?

The kind of conference upgrade I'm talking about will never happened with limited vision, small time thinkers.

Therefore, a reasonable goal is to actually become DOMINANT in OUR conference.

And where are we getting this money from to support any "grandiose" thinking.

It can be done. We are just not fortunate enough to have any big time alums who give a damn about athletics. Look at UB playing in a FBS conference that had a team play in a BCS bowl. We all know that Stony Brook is eyeing that down as well looking to expand their stadium even more and have a completely renovated basketball arena. Not to mention they went to the CWS last year.

There is SOOOOO MUCH misinformation here it is comical.

1) If SBU didn't have the lucky dog of LaValle they'd be nothing.

2) Joe Nathan's gift is just about the same as our Lacrosse field gift

3) Read the report on UB athletics; it is a dreary state and the report basically says that UB has no real money to compete. Aside from one brilliant year, please remind me as to WHAT UB HAS DONE? They NEVER EVER EVER PLAYED IN A BCS BOWL. They played in a $ienaty bowl and LOST MONEY.

UA'08 makes a good point. I think our bigs need a bigs coach. We are too guard oriented--players and coaches--to compete.

That being said I'll be there every game to cheer them on. I don't think a victory, or two or maybe even three is impossible in the tournament.

This...this I will agree with wholeheartedly. UA 08 is definitely on point here. I am not sure what happened with Filian...but frankly, our bigs coach's were never GOOD bigs in the sense of NON-EURO style.

The teams that win this league have sick guards or a dynamic player + a dirty big man. It's a simple fact. The years we did well, Zo played mean once he got going. He clogged the middle...and that was that.

WE NEED A BIGS COACH!!!

Since when is SBU a dominant program in our conference? They have had two good years in conference play since they went D1 going 14-2 last year and 13-3 in 2009-2010. They were 8-8 in 2008-09 and 2010-11. They are nowhere near UVM or BU in success. People saying they don't want to compare programs but then compare programs. I don't get it.

I would prefer seeing this program dominant year in and year out, in this conference.

Which programs' fans don't think they should be dominant year after year? UVM, SBU, BUMA all feel entitled to the 'dominant team' (regardless of results). Hartford thinks they're on the rise. The others think they only need a new coach.
I'd like to see an conference upgrade. We will not see a conference upgrade being mediocre in the america east.

Seriously, which conference? The sixteen-team (three public) Atlantic-10? The CAA is back near our level, throw out the conferences with FBS football, and everybody in the South and Midwest, who's left? The Patriot? Is that the upgrade you're looking for?

The kind of conference upgrade I'm talking about will never happened with limited vision, small time thinkers.

Therefore, a reasonable goal is to actually become DOMINANT in OUR conference.

And where are we getting this money from to support any "grandiose" thinking.

It can be done. We are just not fortunate enough to have any big time alums who give a damn about athletics. Look at UB playing in a FBS conference that had a team play in a BCS bowl. We all know that Stony Brook is eyeing that down as well looking to expand their stadium even more and have a completely renovated basketball arena. Not to mention they went to the CWS last year.

There is SOOOOO MUCH misinformation here it is comical.

1) If SBU didn't have the lucky dog of LaValle they'd be nothing.

2) Joe Nathan's gift is just about the same as our Lacrosse field gift

3) Read the report on UB athletics; it is a dreary state and the report basically says that UB has no real money to compete. Aside from one brilliant year, please remind me as to WHAT UB HAS DONE? They NEVER EVER EVER PLAYED IN A BCS BOWL. They played in a $ienaty bowl and LOST MONEY.

UB has done nothing.

My point was that it can be done. SBU is fortunate enough because they do have powerful enough alum or alums who do care. They also are getting a new state of the art weight room with a $5 mil donation or something of that nature. I'm not saying we should be moving up to FBS I'm just saying it can be done. Does anyone know what UB did and how they got the funds to build up their stadium when they transitioned up?

And I never said they played in a BCS bowl. I said they played in a conference that had a team play in one. Not sure what was so comical about that post.

Edited by UA'08

UA'08 makes a good point. I think our bigs need a bigs coach. We are too guard oriented--players and coaches--to compete.

That being said I'll be there every game to cheer them on. I don't think a victory, or two or maybe even three is impossible in the tournament.

This...this I will agree with wholeheartedly. UA 08 is definitely on point here. I am not sure what happened with Filian...but frankly, our bigs coach's were never GOOD bigs in the sense of NON-EURO style.

The teams that win this league have sick guards or a dynamic player + a dirty big man. It's a simple fact. The years we did well, Zo played mean once he got going. He clogged the middle...and that was that.

WE NEED A BIGS COACH!!!

We had a big man coach who got let go.... Who's responsible to hire a new one?

Just responding to a few comments from page 9 and on regarding the Program, not the coaching.

The bottom half of the conference use to be Boston and Vermont, but it took them time to rise consistently. I wasn't inferring that we should be happy having a Maine, UNH or Hartford history, I posted to show the history behind the top teams as well.

Stats show we're actually better than Vermont or BU. It took both those teams many more years to see the success we did. They both have been around 50+ years and only have a handful of top years which happen to have occurred in the past 10-15 years. As someone posted in this thread-- a fans discontent level may be connected with how long they have been watching UA.

If someone thinks looking at other D1 low mid majors is pointless and that we should only care about UA, my opinion is that looking at history can show what has actually taken place in the reality we live in vs. what we think 'should' happen. We all could wish for what we want, but when someone asked on this board if something is attainable or not, I'd think looking at history would help us judge if something is or isn't attainable.

The facts are we are a young D1 program whether some fans want to accept it or not. And the stats show the history of other low mid major teams and they show a trend... that it takes time. If people don't want to accept the historical growth that seems to be required for a D1 program then so be it, facts are the facts. (unless the website made them up lol :) )

UA could be an outlier in historical stats and maybe we could jump to the front of the pack every year for the foreseeable future but statistically it doesn't seem like that would be the 'normal' historical path.

I hope we’re not the norm and we can be consistently competitive every year at the top of the rest of the program's history, but that’s just my hope as a fan. If my hopes don’t look attainable by history than I won’t be crazy upset if what I think ‘should’ happen doesn't happen. Disappointed very much so, angry no (because I would know that I set my hopes to something that's historically not attainable).

That's just my opinion. Personally I look at history to help guide my expectations, not everyone is like that. But to call fans out as not being true fans because they don't have the same historically unattainable expectations isn't fair...again just my opinion.

Edited by MsGDG

[The kind of conference upgrade I'm talking about will never happened with limited vision, small time thinkers.

Still not saying which upgrade you're talking about. The only ones that I think you want would have to be driven by football, not by by basketball success.

With all the realignment I'm not sure which but what conference will these teams end up in:

Rutgers

St. Johns

Northeastern.

Providence.

Seton Hall.

UB

Wherever they end up, I wouldn't mind being in the conversation. I'm sure there is a reason why on each one but I can tell you one reason why.

[The kind of conference upgrade I'm talking about will never happened with limited vision, small time thinkers.

Still not saying which upgrade you're talking about. The only ones that I think you want would have to be driven by football, not by by basketball success.

With all the realignment I'm not sure which but what conference will these teams end up in:

Rutgers

St. Johns

Northeastern.

Providence.

Seton Hall.

UB

Wherever they end up, I wouldn't mind being in the conversation. I'm sure there is a reason why on each one but I can tell you one reason why.

St Johns

Providence

Seton Hall

All part of the "Catholic 7" We won't be sniffing that nor should we; It's a hoops centric conference.

Rutgers

St. Johns

Northeastern.

Providence.

Seton Hall.

UB

St Johns

Providence

Seton Hall

All part of the "Catholic 7" We won't be sniffing that nor should we; It's a hoops centric conference.

So that's it? We have no options? I guess part of my point is we may have missed some opportunities. CAA? A10? Something else?

Edited by McFan

I go back to UA72. What opportunities did we miss.

I am going to break it down for this board: We have no sugar daddy and a 13mm athletic budget. If we were to go to the A10, with football we'd have to nearly double it to compete.

Schools like BC spend nearly 60mm a year...and they are middling teams.

Schools like Tennesse are nearing athletic department bankruptcy.

We are who we are; a relatively new school in DI making our ways building a rep, building a DI fanbase, and in 10 years...we MAY be ready for a big boy move.

For now, it's the AE, PL, or potentially some new league with the CAA football teams or some MAC teams at it's furthest reach.

We have missed NO opportunities because there were none to be had. Heed Dr. Hall who stated there were higher levels for us...just not Ohio State levels. The highest level today for our program is MAYBE an all-sport CAA.

I go back to UA72. What opportunities did we miss.

I am going to break it down for this board: We have no sugar daddy and a 13mm athletic budget. If we were to go to the A10, with football we'd have to nearly double it to compete.

Schools like BC spend nearly 60mm a year...and they are middling teams.

Schools like Tennesse are nearing athletic department bankruptcy.

We are who we are; a relatively new school in DI making our ways building a rep, building a DI fanbase, and in 10 years...we MAY be ready for a big boy move.

For now, it's the AE, PL, or potentially some new league with the CAA football teams or some MAC teams at it's furthest reach.

We have missed NO opportunities because there were none to be had. Heed Dr. Hall who stated there were higher levels for us...just not Ohio State levels. The highest level today for our program is MAYBE an all-sport CAA.

So why not CAA? And I admit that I don't have the budget knowledge but as I look at the A10 I just don't see it for many of those schools. Why are they able to be there and we aren't?

And to be clear while i aspire for more of a conference, my primary beef is direction of the program. Are we getting better?

Edited by McFan

The CAA is merely a matter of what direction that conference goes; I am VERY tied into the CAA. I know this for as near certainties as near certainties get: Stony Brook and Albany are both part of 5 schools the CAA could grab with one phone call (Coastal and Elon are two others). There is a ton of uncertainty in that league right now. Are they football-centric; are they Southern centric; what happens to them if the Southern blows up with Georgia Southern and App moving up (they will).

I personally believe that we will be in some new conference that will be part A-Ten, part CAA, part old Yankee conference, and Part AE.

I think eventually you will see the CAA breakup along sport lines...and I believe that if UD and Towson don't move up to FBS, we will be in a conference with UNH, Maine, UD, Towson, et al.

It won't be today...but it will be soon!

Edited by Dane96