UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's an interesting chart which may give you an idea of the leap we'd need to take to make the financial committment needed, IMO, to compete year in and year out in the CAA.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

I don't see it happening personally, although you can see why all of us would probably support the move if it was accompanied by an institutional committment to increase investment in the athletic department.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are so far behind SB, it's sickening. Bing isn't much lower than us and they don't even have Football.

Agreed. Adding full scholarship football and a stadium will bring that number up, but I suspect we'll still be multiple millions of dollars below Stony Brook, Delaware, James Madison, etc...

It all comes down to what the University wants. We all know what the Athletic Department wants, but like most Athletic Departments, it is dependent on University Subsidies. Our subsidy is is almost 80%. What will President Jones and the Board of Trustees decide to do?

Edited by danefan

Not sure how much it really matters, but Davidson is officially going to the A10.

The one interesting thing is that the A10 now has 6FCS football playing schools in 4 different conferences. Amazing.

Dayton - Pioneer

Duquesne - NEC

Fordham - Patriot League

Rhode Island - CAA

Richmond - CAA

Davidson - Pioneer

Stony Brook is getting $6M more in subsidy over Albany. That alone would push us up to MAC level of $21M.

That just means the SBU has decided to allocate $6m more to the athletic department than Albany does.

That is what I mean by a greater insitutional committment to athletics.

Also, remember - operating budgets are different than Capital funding. Moving $6m to athletics means taking it from somewhere else. Imagine the political repercussions of that.

Maybe Dr. Jones would like to do that for us too? Who knows.

Edited by danefan

If it turns into a question of spending 5mil a year to compete in the CAA or spend 3-4 mil over three years to finish Fellon Field, renovate the SEFCU and start on PhaseII...stay in the AE and build up facilities...

I'm most concerned about SEFCU...it's just not good enough to compete with Bingo Events Center and what SBU is building...

Agreed. SEFCU is next up on the upgrade buffet.

This whole CAA thing is really starting to stick to me/unattractive.

We'll have to wait and see. Like we've said all along - making a move for the sake of moving is short-sited.

If the money is there to make an all out committment to athletics then the CAA could benefit us. There is no sense in going to the CAA and having the same athletic department as we have now. The AEast/CAA Football is fine for now to have a $15-18m budget.

Are there updates? I haven't been paying attention to the other boards.

Just more rumors...on message boards...

- Apparently as most people I think speculate that JMU is looking to go FBS ASAP...CUSA or SunBelt

- Hofstra and MAAC are apparently talking...

- W&M and Patriot League are dancing as well...

Begs the question...what's left? Not that those three were awesome but losing them further weakens the CAA...

Could the CAA petition to upgrade from a FCS conference to a FBS conference?

http://www.vuhoops.c...new-fbs-league/

No.

Not only has it been discussed on AGS and pretty much decided that a league by itself can't break into the FBS cartel, this article mentions New Hampshire as one of the movers - anybody who mentions UNH and their 77-year-old, 6,500-seat stadium as ready for FBS isn't thinking clearly.