UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The FBS category of NCAA D1 football really does sound like a cartel.

Another option I thought of was legal action. Simply stated a governor could be pretty upset if he/she feels their public flagship is being prevented from taking its rightful place amongst it's peers. If the current or future governor of New York feels Stony Brook or Albany is being barred from moving up a lawsuit could be filed. North Dakota may also be upset that their flagship is being impacted. This would be more likely if the FBS money games are shut off at some point.

North Dakota and Stony Brook are both public institutions that will want to move up. Both have some sympathetic supporters in state government. I'm sure there are others.

If Cuomo is willing to sue a Kardashian or Indian Tribes over cigarettes, he or some future governor may take to the courts here.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We aren't done with expansion," Bass said. "I'm fairly pleased with what I think is going to transpire in the CAA in coming weeks."

Leaving the CAA would come with a cost. University presidents raised the exit fee to $1 million last June. The remaining schools are also set to share millions in NCAA Tournament revenue generated primarily by VCU's 2011 Final Four run and forfeited by the four departing schools, although the exact payout is unclear.

Bass declined to mention specific schools hovering on the CAA's radar; however, multiple sources told the StarNews that Elon and Albany remain prime targets and administration at both universities are exploring conference affiliation options.

Elon competes in the Southern Conference, which lost four schools in the past year – including its premier men's basketball programs, College of Charleston and Davidson.

Elon went 21-12 in 2012-13 and won the Southern's North division for the first time in school history, capping the program's best season since joining Division I in 1996.

Albany is a member of America East, former home of current CAA programs Delaware, Drexel, Hofstra, Northeastern and Towson. The Great Danes had a 43-26 record the last two years and were conference champions last season, losing to Duke in their first game in the NCAA Tournament.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20130520/ARTICLES/130529970/1177?p=3&tc=pg

Edited by danefan

Schools left the AE to go to the CAA for a reason. The schools that left the CAA did so for "bigger and better" opportunities...usually with one sport in mind. American, VCU and GMU wanted one thing...a MBB conference. ECU, GA State and ODU wanted one thing...a FBS conference.

NEC vs CAA Football: Good move because this was a no brainer for your school. For one thing, you'll most likely play a FBS program at the tune of about $400,000. At least two of your games will be on TV. The CAA routinely has 6+ teams in the top 25. There is zero chance that playing St. Francis, CCU, Sacred Heart, Robert Morris, and Bryant comes anywhere near playing UNH, UD, W&M, JMU, Nova, and TU.

Baseball: You have to sort past 8 CAA teams (including 2 in the top 40) before you get to the best AE school...at 150.

Basketball: 2012 season was a bad year for CAA MBB. SBU had an unusually great season (83 RPI when they're normally 150-250); UA had an upswing from the 200+ norm; Vermont stayed about the same in the 130s but was excellent a few years ago, BU stayed around 150, and Hartford surged from their 290 average. The current CAA teams, to include CoC, usually go like this: UD (140); TU (150-300); NU (160); JMU (80s-250); Drexel (66..terrible 2012 season); CoC: 70-125.

Honestly, that seems like a wash to me but you can bet the CAA won't be down for long.

UA would have some hefty travel costs in the CAA but the TV contract may offset that some and the revenue from playing a FBS school every year would help. You'd expand your school's footprint to the south so that would help with recruiting.

I dunno, sit and wait may be a solid plan but the door to the CAA may shut in a year.

The Towson AD resigned today to take a job as sr. associate AD at Arkansas.

I guess that he wasn't sold on the CAA..........

Nice stretch Jeff. He's going to the SEC to be in charge of the SEC network for Arkansas. He probably got a major raise.