UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2014-15 Men's OOC

League schedule announced:

February

7 UMass Lowell (Big Purple Growl)

Forgive the impertinence, but who is the marketing mastermind that scheduled UMass Lowell for the Big Purple Growl?

Since the arena will be filled anyway, schedule a team that doesn't bring any fans. No point scheduling Vermont or Bing when we could put their fans in otherwise empty seats on a different night.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

League schedule announced:

February

7 UMass Lowell (Big Purple Growl)

Forgive the impertinence, but who is the marketing mastermind that scheduled UMass Lowell for the Big Purple Growl?

You'd rather it be Vermont and get beat by 25? It's not the AE tourney it's the regular season...gotta schedule a winnable game...tsk tsk

Edited by Clickclack

Since the arena will be filled anyway, schedule a team that doesn't bring any fans. No point scheduling Vermont or Bing when we could put their fans in otherwise empty seats on a different night.

I was thinking that, but is the "aura" of the Big Purple Growl enough on its own, or does it need a bigger named team to get people there?

You'd rather it be Vermont and get beat by 25? It's not the AE tourney it's the regular season...gotta schedule a winnable game...tsk tsk

Or you lose to a team that 80% of casual basketball fans haven't even heard of, and more interest is lost in the programs.

The better solution would be to schedule the best, AND to beat the best, right?

BPG fills..or near-fills..the SEFCU by itself. We could be playing Guilderland HS. The extra thousand or two people who show up for that game are there for the entire event..not simply a basketball game. Playing an UVM or SBU on BPG cuts into overall season attendance figures and increases the likelihood that the team loses in front of 4k+ people.

I was thinking that, but is the "aura" of the Big Purple Growl enough on its own, or does it need a bigger named team to get people there?

Or you lose to a team that 80% of casual basketball fans haven't even heard of, and more interest is lost in the programs.

Wrong - schedule a team that won't otherwise put butts in the seats

this is the business side of the game not wins/losses

I may be way off but I don't see the new AD being too impressed with the PPG approach

I believe that he will want to know why our attendance isn't at BPG numbers for most if not every home contest.

He will challenge the Smalbany mentallity

Wrong - schedule a team that won't otherwise put butts in the seats

this is the business side of the game not wins/losses

I may be way off but I don't see the new AD being too impressed with the PPG approach

I believe that he will want to know why our attendance isn't at BPG numbers for most if not every home contest.

He will challenge the Smalbany mentallity

I'd like to believe it but realistically how?

Sefcu needs a scoreboard with video

Well someone needs to donate some $ for one since the state doesn't seem to be wanting to give more $ for the Dept to purchase one. I mean we just got the stadium. Hopefully it'll get upgraded soon. Maybe with the new AD focused on $ we'll get someone who knows how to work with capital funding and how to lobby for more. Actually speaking of lobbying, I feel like we never hear about UA's Government Relations staff. Being the capital you'd think we'd hear and see more of them downtown, but that's a whole other thread. :)

Edited by MsGDG