UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2014-15 Men's OOC

Need a laugh?

Siena basketball player: “UAlbany (is) scared to play us”

http://blog.timesuni...#comment-105930

Update: Cole later deleted the comment and followed it with these two tweets:

“I meant no harm by that tweet it’s just basketball and I love the game and I’ma competitive person”

“I respect ualbany program and players and wish them nothing but the best this year.”

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was fun to read. From a program that a few years ago thought they were the next Gonzaga..to getting frenzied about a game they used to claim they didn't care about. I guess that's what happens when you've been on the wrong side of the rivalry and haven't sniffed the NCAAs recently.

• 4 weeks later...

Would have also liked to see another guarantee game with a BCS school. I am going to assume that next year we will have more home games from these mid majors that are going to have to return the game.

Does not compute! Only had four home games last year also; and one of those was home & away (njit again). If your "return the game" assumption was correct, would have had a lot more than four THIS year. The problem goes deeper. The money teams do not reciprocate, $iena does not reciprocate (kicked that topic around a bit), and most mid majors won't come here for fear of our reputation {yes we are feared--believe it or not}. That leaves us with a revolving schedule of low majors and believe me they do not want to come here either. Over the past several years, I believe 6 was our largest # of occ home contest with the average being 4 to 5. I do not have an answer, only stating the problem?

The return game at NJIT is interesting. In the middle of the conference schedule in February. Actually it's Friday the 13th in Newark.

Also, four games against the MAAC is a little different.

The four homes is a woof. Looking at Vermont and Stony Brook. Vermont has six homes games (including a D2) and the Brook has six (including a D2 and a D3 - really?)

I guess the solution would be:

-Drop the guarantee games - we have two each year. Probably not going to happen.

-Add some D2 or D3 teams. Probably not going to happen and I don't want it to.

-Live with the road games and plans some trips to Loretto, PA.

The return game at NJIT is interesting. In the middle of the conference schedule in February. Actually it's Friday the 13th in Newark.

Also, four games against the MAAC is a little different.

The four homes is a woof. Looking at Vermont and Stony Brook. Vermont has six homes games (including a D2) and the Brook has six (including a D2 and a D3 - really?)

I guess the solution would be:

-Drop the guarantee games - we have two each year. Probably not going to happen.

-Add some D2 or D3 teams. Probably not going to happen and I don't want it to.

-Live with the road games and plans some trips to Loretto, PA.

DP excellent assessment and your solutions are right on (but probably not going to happen; as you say). However, you missed the obvious one. DROP $iena and schedule a legit mid-major every other year home/away. Add maybe one hungry D1 or good DIIish and then we'd be averaging 5-7 home games, instead of 4-5. Anyhow, sorry about brining up the $iena issue again and dropping them as you say "not going to happen".

DP excellent assessment and your solutions are right on (but probably not going to happen; as you say). However, you missed the obvious one. DROP $iena and schedule a legit mid-major every other year home/away. Add maybe one hungry D1 or good DIIish and then we'd be averaging 5-7 home games, instead of 4-5. Anyhow, sorry about brining up the $iena issue again and dropping them as you say "not going to happen".

Actually, Siena could be a home game for us ticket-wise if nothing else. They could fold that game into our season ticket package, no? It would make us feel better about four home games.

• 3 weeks later...

Why don't we follow the lead of Union College and RPI hockey: play three times. A home game at SEFCU, an away game at Siena (either on Siena's campus or at the TUC), and, finally, the "Mayor's Cup" at the TUC.

Union and RPI play a home and home this weekend, and the Mayor's Cup is on January 24, 2015. We get an extra home game against a decent mid-major team, and they get exactly the same thing. I'd rather play Siena 3 times than NJIT, Fairfield, or other teams like that.

This whole convo is getting long in the tooth, we as fans should demand changes from our AD. They owe us nothing; until we learn to stand up for ourselves up to and including cancel this damn thing and stop lining their pockets this inequitable agreement will continue. Fact of the matter is, we, this match-up with UA gets all the casuals out and gets 12k people there. Let them go and play someone else and get that crowd.

I'd cancel it for 3 or 4 years and see how both schools like it. I'm not in favor of playing this game more then once.

Edited by Clickclack

Saw this on the Providence board. Sagarin ratings are out for this year. We're starting at 150.

The OOC games:

Providence 53

NJIT 308

Quinnipiac 131

Colgate 207

UNLV 82

Holy Cross 174

St. Francis PA 256

Bucknell 165

Siena 156

Yale 119

Fairfield 222