UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB & WBB vs. UNH 2/4

How was the crowd this evenin. Didnt get a chance to watch.

Box score was only 2712 :(

What does this team have to do to draw!

Only 2712? Looked like at least 3000. It was nice and loud for much of the 2nd half (game was tight).

I thought 2700 might be generous, though more accurate than the 5400 Siena reported for 300 actually showing up Monday. I know there were quite a few season ticket holders around me who didn't show - hangover from Tuesday's storm? At least the student turnout was better.

It looks like the athletic department is investing more in props for students. I saw a number of big heads at the game, and in years past the band has gone about getting those. The ones in the arena last night had Dane Ger Zone on the back, which makes me think the athletic department put them together. Also, I'd reiterate that the pep band has NEVER been as big as it is now. It would be tough to find that much tie dye in one concentrated place anywhere outside of the 90's!

I believe the Daneger Zone thing is from the Alumni Association instead of Athletics.

Interesting. Still a plus though. I also just found out from some insiders that you will not be seeing the Pep Band in tie dye for much longer. New polo shirts coming in, possibly for BPG. Long live the tie dye though!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was the crowd this evenin. Didnt get a chance to watch.

Box score was only 2712 :(

What does this team have to do to draw!

Only 2712? Looked like at least 3000. It was nice and loud for much of the 2nd half (game was tight).

I thought 2700 might be generous, though more accurate than the 5400 Siena reported for 300 actually showing up Monday. I know there were quite a few season ticket holders around me who didn't show - hangover from Tuesday's storm? At least the student turnout was better.

It looks like the athletic department is investing more in props for students. I saw a number of big heads at the game, and in years past the band has gone about getting those. The ones in the arena last night had Dane Ger Zone on the back, which makes me think the athletic department put them together. Also, I'd reiterate that the pep band has NEVER been as big as it is now. It would be tough to find that much tie dye in one concentrated place anywhere outside of the 90's!

I believe the Daneger Zone thing is from the Alumni Association instead of Athletics.

Correct. The Alumni Association stepped up when Athletics wouldn't and created the Danger Zone. Now Athletics tries to latch on to what the Alumni Association created and is paying for.

"Correct. The Alumni Association stepped up when Athletics wouldn't and created the Danger Zone. Now Athletics tries to latch on to what the Alumni Association created and is paying for."

​Isn't it a good thing that the athletic department and alumni association work together and dove tail? Whoever gets the credit so what. Collaboration towards the ultimate goal-- better athletics and more importantly better academics.

"Correct. The Alumni Association stepped up when Athletics wouldn't and created the Danger Zone. Now Athletics tries to latch on to what the Alumni Association created and is paying for."

​Isn't it a good thing that the athletic department and alumni association work together and dove tail? Whoever gets the credit so what. Collaboration towards the ultimate goal-- better athletics and more importantly better academics.

I wouldn't call it working together. I believe the AA did it because no one in Athletics cared to. Athletics should pitch in and help make it better, but I don't believe they have. So maybe I shouldn't have said, latch on...as they really aren't doing much at all. I just hope things change in the department and they do start to care about students. I don't think it's about the credit, more about resources and priorities. We'd all hope the Athletic Department has some resources and would make it a priority to get students there..and not just the AA. But thankfully we have a AA that does care to do it even when the Athletic Dept doesn't.

Edited by MsGDG

I wouldn't call it working together. I believe the AA did it because no one in Athletics cared to. Athletics should pitch in and help make it better, but I don't believe they have. So maybe I shouldn't have said, latch on...as they really aren't doing much at all. I just hope things change in the department and they do start to care about students. I don't think it's about the credit, more about resources and priorities. We'd all hope the Athletic Department has some resources and would make it a priority to get students there..and not just the AA. But thankfully we have a AA that does care to do it even when the Athletic Dept doesn't.

Getting students to the arena is not something the Athletics Dept. can dictate and I know the staff really does care about students. The UA bureaucracy that athletics must go through to get anything done in a dorm or classroom is a maddening labyrinth of turf wars, petty jealousies, and apathy. Frankly, there is a decidedly anti athletics entrenchment that will not go away anytime soon. Many of the newer hires get it and certainly the new appointments at the top have interest but the great swath of middle managers with 15 years + do not. Add the antipathy of the faculty and you get a very frustrated group in Athletics. Getting cooperation & coordination down to the RA / dorm level and the classrooms is just isn't something Athletics can do on it's own.

Again, I still think the focus should be on the community and not the students. Students don't apply to Albany to go see the basketball team play. Focus on the locals and have them be part of something that's growing. Students are only there for 4 years and once they leave the majority will not follow the team after they graduate anyway.

No offense to the community, but I disagree. Students are known to be loud and into it.

Do you know how many times I've been screaming my lungs out only to have the majority of the rest of my section sitting almost bored-like (people behind in the rows that are behind mine - the immediate group I'm in is pretty active)? I even had one lady tell me NOT to sing the "One Way" chant I sometimes do for the refs. Seriously? You want that place to be loud? You need the youngin's to be there. In my section, hardly anyone jumps up on a big play, etc.

Also, I think students, even if it's for four years, have more riding on it than the average community fan. What is it? "School spirit" Some of our fans didn't even go to UAlbany (or worse yet, went to Siena). What is their incentive to get REALLY into it?

I didn't get season tickets until I became a UAlbany night student...and honestly, my desire for all things UAlbany increased tenfold once I became a student.

Edited by Ilko

I'm glad we bit the bullet on that one.

Anyone know what Herrion said to Brown at the conclusion of the game. Herrion looked a little animated.

Pretty sure it had to do w/ Herrion shouting instructions as Baker was shooting free throws. Brown said something to him at the time. One of the unwritten rules. Fans can shout but it's a bit bush when the opposing coach shouts instructions in a dead quite gym as the player is about to shoot.

Just watched the replay, and there was a closeup of the coaches. Couldn't hear much except Herrion said something about 'offense' but there didn't seem to be any rancor or anger, just the usual post-game stuff.