UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Will Brown

I'm a business owner too, and your take on it differs from mine. Why would you fault someone for exploring their options? Just as though he is interviewing not knowing he will get the job, the employer can't assume he would take it.

On the flip side, from an applicant standpoint, just because you interview someone, doesn't mean you will offer to them. Would a candidate expect that you are 100% into them because you asked them for an interview, considering you're probably interviewing another 5-10 people? Of course not.

It's part of the dance.

Brown has a good situation at Albany, but risk is subjective. He may be worried he is risking losing an automatic pay increase, in hopes that Albany continues to elevate. Losing guaranteed money could be a risk.

It's all speculation and assumptions. No one here knows what is going on in his mind. You may burn a bridge at Fordham or GMU, but if you continue winning here, other bridges would certainly open up.

I tell you what.. if an applicant interviews at my business, I EXPECT that they are requesting our time

because they WANT the position. If an applicant turns down the position or hesitates accepting, their file is gone for good.

Fairly certain that most of the crucial details of a coaching position and its benefits package are already (at least roughly) known before a coach accepts

an interview with any program.

This is what I'm talking about! Obviously I have no idea how it works in Div1 head coaching jobs, but I know they are extremely limited so it's not like the real world jobs that we have and can interview for five jobs a day and reject all five every time.

If he does get both Fordham and George Mason and rejects them, which I hope he does, why would those two schools ever come back calling in the future?

I tell you what.. if an applicant interviews at my business, I EXPECT that they are requesting our time

because they WANT the position. If an applicant turns down the position or hesitates accepting, their file is gone for good.

Fairly certain that most of the crucial details of a coaching position and its benefits package are already (at least roughly) known before a coach accepts

This is what I'm talking about! Obviously I have no idea how it works in Div1 head coaching jobs, but I know they are extremely limited so it's not like the real world jobs that we have and can interview for five jobs a day and reject all five every time.

If he does get both Fordham and George Mason and rejects them, which I hope he does, why would those two schools ever come back calling in the future?

Both of your expectations are out of whack. I own a career services firm in NYC, and we work with clients throughout the country. On average there's 1400 people applying for each position. Many just throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks. Others are interested in just exploring your options. If a competitor of your companies came to you and was interested in discussing a pay increase of 2-3x what you make, you wouldn't hear them out? Even if the position was perhaps across country and you weren't sold on that? Not even a conversation? C'mon!!

And maybe he doesn't want to move to the A10. Maybe he's hoping to leverage this and continued success at UA to an even better conference. Who knows.

IMO, that's not how it should be. For example, if I interview for a job that based on the description I want...and find out the salary is a pay CUT, I'd be stupid to take the position unless it's something I can leverage down the road. What makes it worse is this idiotic (in my opinion) practice of not listing salary ranges on the damn job ads themselves (yes, I'm sure there are business negotiation reasons behind why this is done - I still think it's idiotic lol). At least for us Joe Shmoe's who have to look for 9-5 jobs. I've had to turn down 4 jobs in my 12 year career because their offer was an absolute joke. Why should that be on me?

Obviously, for a coaching position, it's a different story because as you say more than likely the details are well known...but in the real world? Where only the job description is known?

If I interview and you lowball the hell out of me, I will gladly burn that bridge. Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours. Who knows what Brown will get offered, maybe they'll only offer him a lowball offer of $450k and he'll say, you know what, not worth it. Why should that burn a bridge?

I'm with Drastik on this 110%.

Edited by Ilko

Both of your expectations are out of whack. I own a career services firm in NYC, and we work with clients throughout the country. On average there's 1400 people applying for each position. Many just throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks. Others are interested in just exploring your options. If a competitor of your companies came to you and was interested in discussing a pay increase of 2-3x what you make, you wouldn't hear them out? Even if the position was perhaps across country and you weren't sold on that? Not even a conversation? C'mon!!

And maybe he doesn't want to move to the A10. Maybe he's hoping to leverage this and continued success at UA to an even better conference. Who knows.

This isn't that type of business though. There's only 337 head coaching jobs and the schools search for the candidates. You can't just apply for the job just like that.

Edited by UA'08

There's nothing out of whack - there are no expectations.

An interview is a sales call...

Both the prospective employee and employer are playing both the role of the sales person and the customer at the same time. It's a courtship dance:

The employer is trying to vet the employee, and after they decide they want the employee they have to sell their opportunity to the potential employee and hope that they have convinced the person to take the job.

The potential employee has to sell themselves to the employer, but at the same time be a buyer and shop the opportunity to see if it meets their requirements.

If you think that by taking an interview he is saying he wants the job - your experience must only be with minimum wage entry level jobs. Once you get to mid level and above - it is all about the courtship. Just because you both swipe right on tinder, it doesn't mean you want to get married!

He should shop around and do what is best for him, his family, and his future. I think we all want him to stay and continue building this program - but he has to do what he has to do. I hope he decides to stay put - but it is up to him.

Also - I am not sure how this works with a state employer - but I do know that at other big schools - a portion of the coaches salary is paid for by the booster's. We do not yet have those in big $$ numbers here - but that is how you get the money to pay a coach a 7 or high 6 figure salary. A strong booster club is probably the next step in building UA into a BCS level program.

Exactly, Patch.

I am sure Parker is making calls, including to Brown. They'd be stupid not to...and anyone called by a Head Hunter (that's what Parker does) will most certainly listen.

Look, none of us want Coach to leave...but if he does, he earned the right to do so. And, he's left this school in a position where just about EVERY up and coming Asst will come knocking.

In my personal opinion, I think Fordham is a dead-end job (I've been following that school since I was a child). There are even some on the school's Board that would like them to move to the Patriot League...and if this morass continues, I can see that happening. Sure, Brown has proven he can build from nothing...but every single Coach has failed to do so at Fordham except for Tom Penders, when he was using scholarship players against Non-Scholarship players during their first few years of Patriot League membership.

George Mason, on the other hand, is extremely intriguing. That's the job I fret about as a fan.

Edited by Dane96

There's nothing out of whack - there are no expectations.

You wrote "I expect"... therefore, expectations.. lol...

Anyways, let's just hope he stays. If not, very grateful for his contributions and the jump he's helped us make as a program.

Yep, Fordham is a non-starter. GMU is a position to watch.

Although coach Brown has shown his ability to win the America East conference, he hasn't overcome

the hurdle of winning a (if I have to label it as 2nd round) 2nd round game in the NCAAs. So, as I said before,

he should be careful of the path he choses, as it could wind up to bite him in the ass.

He's got something special with Albany... and with the total athletic program at UA growing larger and larger each year.....

What should happen is Benson and the university step up and throw some beef in Brown's stew.

Although coach Brown has shown his ability to win the America East conference, he hasn't overcome

the hurdle of winning a (if I have to label it as 2nd round) 2nd round game in the NCAAs. So, as I said before,

he should be careful of the path he choses, as it could wind up to bite him in the ass.

He's got something special with Albany... and with the total athletic program at UA growing larger and larger each year.....

What should happen is Benson and the university step up and throw some beef in Brown's stew.

I don't think it's our place to advise him on what will and won't bite his ass, his ass is on the line far more then any of us fans. I wish him luck and wisdom to do what suits him as he'll have to live with his choice.

I'm in a supervisory management position, head hunters call me probably no less then 5-8 times a year pitching other jobs in the 6 figure range. At times I will outright decline a position because I can see it's not a fit, other times I'll be intrigued and listen but after considering it decline, I've even used headhunters to renegotiate terms of my current employment. That doesn't burn any bridges, they called ME and there isn't a problem listening. This may be shocking but sometimes the employer doesn't view the person they are interview as a fit and don't make an offer.

We are early in this process, again, this was expected. Let it play out, I understand that Brown has been instrumental in building the program to where it is now but no matter how great he's been, this program is bigger than Brown and I don't mean any disrespect.

Edited by Clickclack

I don't think it's our place to advise him on what will and won't bite his ass, his ass is on the line far more then any of us fans. I wish him luck and wisdom to do what suits him as he'll have to live with his choice.

I'm in a supervisory management position, head hunters call me probably no less then 5-8 times a year pitching other jobs in the 6 figure range. At times I will outright decline a position because I can see it's not a fit, other times I'll be intrigued and listen but after considering it decline, I've even used headhunters to renegotiate terms of my current employment. That doesn't burn any bridges, they called ME and there isn't a problem listening. This may be shocking but sometimes the employer doesn't view the person they are interview as a fit and don't make an offer.

We are early in this process, again, this was expected. Let it play out, I understand that Brown has been instrumental in building the program to where it is now but no matter how great he's been, this program is bigger than Brown and I don't mean any disrespect.

I still don't think we can compare our career situations to head coaching lol. Head coaching jobs are so limited and you can find yourself out in a flash. You can look at all the coaches that have made the step up and have failed and never got back to head coaching again. Obviously coach has some serious decisions to make and hope he ends up staying here and becomes the Bob Mckillop of Albany. The comfort factor here at Albany is a huge plus. At this point he'd have to have to have some serious consecutive losing seasons here at Albany in order for him to even fear being out of a job.