UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Am I missing something. On wnyt 13, I saw an interview with GG (probably a tape for saturday my4 football weekly) where he says Sussman will be starting the last four games baring an injury?? He said Sussman will start and play all four games win or lose. He wants to see what we have for the future and Crook will be given a shot in the spring to win the job back and Brunson will also be in the mix than. Has something changed?? By the tone of the conversation above, it seems to contradict the interview I heard?

Edited by dslyank

Am I missing something. On wnyt 13, I saw an interview with GG (probably a tape for saturday my4 football weekly) where he says Sussman will be starting the last four games baring an injury?? He said Sussman will start and play all four games win or lose. He wants to see what we have for the future and Crook will be given a shot in the spring to win the job back and Brunson will also be in the mix than. Has something changed?? By the tone of the conversation above, it seems to contradict the interview I heard?

Perhaps outdated game notes...

I heard on Roger Wyland's radio show that GG's comments re: starting QB were made at the taping for the Saturday pre-game show on My4. So that's where they came from. Maybe the game

notes are just not updated to reflect that. Someone last week (maybe Samuel Gray) mentioned that their injury situation is the worst they have ever seen at any level. So we have to give them some slack for that. Senn has been

out and Ritter have been out…2 big bodies on the O line. I'm in the "give them time" category. As far as QBs go, Fiacchi grew tremendously from Soph-Sr year. The coaches can't really know how well recruited

player will be at QB. CAA is a huge step up from HS for most of them. Look at the NFL draft record for QBs. They have incredible resources and there are very few "sure thing" QBs that get drafted each year.

Something else I have not seen discussed is there may be a dilution in CAA talent level overall. The Patriot League is going full scholarship and have a couple of years of recruiting so when they

are done there will be an additional 450 +/- scholarships centered in the northeast, with some good schools competing for the talent. On top of that the NEC was not scholarship until several years ago and

there's another 300+ scholarship FCS level players. I really think the southern schools have an advantage but I could be wrong. The concentration of football talent is definitely not in the northeast.

I heard on Roger Wyland's radio show that GG's comments re: starting QB were made at the taping for the Saturday pre-game show on My4. So that's where they came from. Maybe the game

notes are just not updated to reflect that. Someone last week (maybe Samuel Gray) mentioned that their injury situation is the worst they have ever seen at any level. So we have to give them some slack for that. Senn has been

out and Ritter have been out…2 big bodies on the O line. I'm in the "give them time" category. As far as QBs go, Fiacchi grew tremendously from Soph-Sr year. The coaches can't really know how well recruited

player will be at QB. CAA is a huge step up from HS for most of them. Look at the NFL draft record for QBs. They have incredible resources and there are very few "sure thing" QBs that get drafted each year.

Something else I have not seen discussed is there may be a dilution in CAA talent level overall. The Patriot League is going full scholarship and have a couple of years of recruiting so when they

are done there will be an additional 450 +/- scholarships centered in the northeast, with some good schools competing for the talent. On top of that the NEC was not scholarship until several years ago and

there's another 300+ scholarship FCS level players. I really think the southern schools have an advantage but I could be wrong. The concentration of football talent is definitely not in the northeast.

Lest anyone think I called for Gattuso's head, I have not. I may have jokingly, TIC, said something but certainly I'm in the camp to give him another year or two. If he is showing progress next year even if they win 3-5 games, I'm OK with it. The problems I see is not only lack of talent but poor technique. Very poor tackling, blown coverage, weird plays calls...(not once try a QB sneak at the one yard line etc.). I think there are some legitimate concerns to say that this is just a hiccup I think is a case of wearing blinders. Team has clearly taken a significant step back from last year and are simply not competitive, getting their clocks cleaned by just about everyone. Why has the talent dropped off so much from the NEC days? This team even by those standards is horrific regardless of talent they are competing against in the CAA. A 3-4 HC blanked UA, not only that but embarrassed them. The question needs to be asked exactly HOW LITTLE talent is there, and the more important question, WHY? It's not like we are moving from zero 'ships. I understand that we need to get up to CAA level recruits, but at this point it's a question of do we even have NEC level players? Was there an disruption to the flow of talent between the transition to Gattuso from Ford?

To put it mildly...this isn't just a bad season, the wheels have completely fallen off. I hope Gattuso can find the wheels to put back on this program. The school has definitely thrown some serious $$ at the football program so there should be some heat.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

Lest anyone think I called for Gattuso's head, I have not. I may have jokingly, TIC, said something but certainly I'm in the camp to give him another year or two. If he is showing progress next year even if they win 3-5 games, I'm OK with it. The problems I see is not only lack of talent but poor technique. Very poor tackling, blown coverage, weird plays calls...(not once try a QB sneak at the one yard line etc.). I think there are some legitimate concerns to say that this is just a hiccup I think is a case of wearing blinders. Team has clearly taken a significant step back from last year and are simply not competitive, getting their clocks cleaned by just about everyone. Why has the talent dropped off so much from the NEC days? This team even by those standards is horrific regardless of talent they are competing against in the CAA. A 3-4 HC blanked UA, not only that but embarrassed them. The question needs to be asked exactly HOW LITTLE talent is there, and the more important question, WHY? It's not like we are moving from zero 'ships. I understand that we need to get up to CAA level recruits, but at this point it's a question of do we even have NEC level players? Was there an disruption to the flow of talent between the transition to Gattuso from Ford?

To put it mildly...this isn't just a bad season, the wheels have completely fallen off. I hope Gattuso can find the wheels to put back on this program. The school has definitely thrown some serious $$ at the football program so there should be some heat.

Yep, all of those things like poor tackling will add up:

In 2013, we weren't shut out a single time. We scored at least 10 points in every game but 1 (meaning our offense showed signs of life even on the worst of days by getting down the field twice. We had only 3 loses of 3TD's or more. And this was in a year where we knew that we would be CLEARLY overmatched because we had NEC kids and they had more scholarships and CAA kids. We averaged 18.4 PTS/GM w/ 354.2 YD/GM, and let up 34.3/454.9.
In 2014, we had a couple of CAA kids. We weren't shut out a single time, in fact we shut a team out once (granted it was Central Conn.), our lowest scoring game of the season in a loss was 24 (in a win it was 14). We only had one loss where we got blown out by 3+ TD's. We were in games even against JMU, Richmond, Villanova, etc. We averaged 26.8 PTS/GM w/ 360.4 YD/GM, and let up 23.4/360.1.
In 2015, we have been shut out twice in 3 weeks. We've had four losses of more than 3TD's (including the last 3), and it could be more. So far, we are averaging 14.4 PTS/GM w/ 268.0 YD/GM, and let up 32.4/415.9.
I understand injuries, I understand we're still perhaps ramping up, and I understand that a guy like Osbourne and even Fiacchi is hard to replace (even if Croskey looks to be decent) because they were seniors and had a lot of experience...but we are regressing and not even staying the same. I don't care if our 2014 schedule was a bit easier...we still played much of the same CAA teams (JMU, Rich, Vill, etc.).
To me, it's all just excuses. We'll say the same thing next year and the year after that, I'm callin it now. If we get better, I'll gladly admit that I was wrong and eat my words...but I have a hunch that will not be the case. But to me it sounds like people are willing to give Gattuso 5-6 years to even be remotely competitive when we were competitive in his first year using someone elses players (ironic, no?).
I want him to make some line up changes and give some other kids a chance. I don't care if they end up being worse. We can't get any worse.
I dunno...on one hand I understand the 'give it time' mantra ya'll preach, but on the other hand, I think it's a cop out.
Edited by Ilko

Gattuso has a career record as HC of 106-42, at Albany he is 9-10 I believe according to Wikipedia.

No question this guy has been around for a long time and knows the game. Like I said, I think he'll turn this around. I'm just curious as to why this season has gone so terribly wrong, it's a questions I may not get an answer to. Seems like it started with some key injuries, followed up by one of the "leaders" being charged with a felony, a QB that for whatever reason regressed badly, missing some of his weapons. An offensive line that can't open any holes leading to a non-existing rushing attack which in turns exacerbates the QB problem as teams game plan the run knowing the QB can't make even the basic throw.

It's a problem, ugly season...I do feel bad for the kids, I'm sure at this point they are like just end the season please.

The few times Sussman has been in, he's looked very lost himself. But I think it's a good move to see what he can do, preparing all week or the last two weeks as the starter perhaps helps him.

Edited by Clickclack

Starting Sussman should be more of a true test for him. Bringing him in the 3rd or 4th qtr, when we are already down 3+ scores and the O-line has been beaten up for 30-40minutes {depending on time of possession etc.}, should give us more of a feel for his abilities.

So playing the role of pollyanna, I hope he keeps us semi-respectable @ Richmond. Delaware is a bad team (beaten by RI & most everyone else); NH is having a down year and like us has injury issues---those are winnable games if we re-group and Sussman provides some spark. brook also has some key injuries and has not played well for the most part; even though obviously not as bad as UA. So beat Delaware and NH and anything can happen in a UA--brook game.

All is not lost. A glimmer of hope MAYBE?

• Like 1

Lest anyone think I called for Gattuso's head, I have not. I may have jokingly, TIC, said something but certainly I'm in the camp to give him another year or two.

I've although thought you have a standing demand that all the coaches, of all the sports, be fired.

We'll get better but it's not going to happen overnight. Literally 2/3 of our roster are freshman and sophs. Sometimes it looks like boys against men because it is boys against men.

Starting Sussman should be more of a true test for him. Bringing him in the 3rd or 4th qtr, when we are already down 3+ scores and the O-line has been beaten up for 30-40minutes {depending on time of possession etc.}, should give us more of a feel for his abilities.

This.

Lest anyone think I called for Gattuso's head, I have not. I may have jokingly, TIC, said something but certainly I'm in the camp to give him another year or two.

I've although thought you have a standing demand that all the coaches, of all the sports, be fired.

We'll get better but it's not going to happen overnight. Literally 2/3 of our roster are freshman and sophs. Sometimes it looks like boys against men because it is boys against men.

With apologies to those that heard this at the P&G scrimmage: I personally give Gattuso a ton of respect. He has been coaching here for less than two years and he has already turned the program around twice!

I reserve the right to call for anyone's head at any time for any reason I choose... I don't know why the school doesn't call me for advise.

• Like 1

I reserve the right to call for anyone's head at any time for any reason I choose... I don't know why the school doesn't call me for advise.

We couldn't afford the buyouts!! :D

UAlbany football making quarterback change - T-U

Sussman will start the remaining games. Some injured players back. Gontarek won't be back this season

giphy.gif

He better not yank him after a bad half. Leave him in the entire game, all four games. Let him make every mistake possible, regardless if we're down 80 points

"The Great Danes (2-5 overall, 1-3 league) were outscored 113-7 by Holy Cross, Maine and Villanova before finally getting a reprieve with their bye last weekend."

Ugly.