UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX NCAA Semifinal vs Yale (Gillette Stadium)

1 hour ago, nysteve661 said:

Have to agree.  Some of us on BPF are older, some are younger.  Nothing would make me prouder of UA than a national championship in my lifetime.  Could be any sport, could be mens or womens, just give me one before I leave this earth.  But I am realistic that in most sports, it is impossible to compete nationally.  Our Bball teams will never win a title.   Win a 1st round game,  sure, but not defeat a run of blue bloods on way to a title.  T & F teams are great, but their times don't compare to SEC teams.  Soccer teams have had some success but would need alot of help to get to championship game (UMBC does have a final 4).  Baseball and softball can't compete with bigger Power 6 schools in better weather areas.  Look at softball last week, 4-0, and 16-0 defeats.  Field hockey has some success and can get back to final 4 but losing Battaglia will set them back awhile.  Football could get there.  Our usual good running game and stout defense is only missing a solid QB most years from getting a playoff spot, then it's a relativily small playoff run to get to the big game.  Women's Lax is good but step behind SB

So that leaves our lax boys as the obvious favorite to get UA that title in the near future and this year is it due to the senior leadership.  Think we will be good next year but 2nd tier with loss of Fields, Mcclancy, Rehs, JD, etc.  Marr will reload but how long will he coach, 5 more? 10 more?  Come on boys!!  Get UA that title this weekend. 

Got a good JUCO QB one coming in - signed last week,  6' 5" 205 lbs.  Successful at that level - Gonna be competition at QB - maybe we'll get a good one.

3 hours ago, Jammaster said:

Yeah, until we have the prospect of seeing a ranking like this in any other sport, I think we lead with our strength for now. Hopefully it'll generate belief in other areas.

DW90xyUX0AY0gQW.jpg

Problem is...it's niche sport. 95% of the sports fans out there are only barely aware of D1 lacrosse. It's a step up from being ranked in field hockey for sure but how much is debatable. In the grand scheme of things, it's really good to have an elite athletic department. These things will and do matter should there every be a place in an up conference or financing to pursue a step up.

Edited by Clickclack

21 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Problem is...it's niche sport. 95% of the sports fans out there are only barely aware of D1 lacrosse. It's a step up from being ranked in field hockey for sure but how much is debatable. In the grand scheme of things, it's really good to have an elite athletic department. These things will and do matter should there every be a place in an up conference or financing to pursue a step up.

Big step up from field hockey as it's championships are broadcast nationally on TV. It is niche, but 95% of the people in the northeast and mid Atlantic are aware of D1 lacrosse. The sport is certainly growing and bigger schools are getting into it.

9 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Big step up from field hockey as it's championships are broadcast nationally on TV. It is niche, but 95% of the people in the northeast and mid Atlantic are aware of D1 lacrosse. The sport is certainly growing and bigger schools are getting into it.

Recently had a conversation with roughly 8 people in the lunch room in my office...all guys...many of them pretty die-hard sports fans pro and some local college hoops. Not a single one of them knew anything about UA Lacrosse which was disappointing. Some of them are Siena season ticket holders etc. Admittedly...probably low IQ bunch but still, point remains. It's a very niche sport.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, statefan said:

Question for Saturday.  Are we likely to hit traffic for the Cape on Saturday morning on 495?

Cape Cod traffic should not be a big issue on Saturday morning.  Friday evening traffic on the other hand should be wicked messy.

12 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Recently had a conversation with roughly 8 people in the lunch room in my office...all guys...many of them pretty die-hard sports fans pro and some local college hoops. Not a single one of them knew anything about UA Lacrosse which was disappointing. Some of them are Siena season ticket holders etc. Admittedly...probably low IQ bunch but still, point remains. It's a very niche sport.

Following the sport is different than knowing that D1 lacrosse exists. I can say the same holds true about FCS football. Most people don't even know it's D1  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

Have to agree.  Some of us on BPF are older, some are younger.  Nothing would make me prouder of UA than a national championship in my lifetime.  Could be any sport, could be mens or womens, just give me one before I leave this earth.  But I am realistic that in most sports, it is impossible to compete nationally.  Our Bball teams will never win a title.   Win a 1st round game,  sure, but not defeat a run of blue bloods on way to a title.  T & F teams are great, but their times don't compare to SEC teams.  Soccer teams have had some success but would need alot of help to get to championship game (UMBC does have a final 4).  Baseball and softball can't compete with bigger Power 6 schools in better weather areas.  Look at softball last week, 4-0, and 16-0 defeats.  Field hockey has some success and can get back to final 4 but losing Battaglia will set them back awhile.  Football could get there.  Our usual good running game and stout defense is only missing a solid QB most years from getting a playoff spot, then it's a relativily small playoff run to get to the big game.  Women's Lax is good but step behind SB

So that leaves our lax boys as the obvious favorite to get UA that title in the near future and this year is it due to the senior leadership.  Think we will be good next year but 2nd tier with loss of Fields, Mcclancy, Rehs, JD, etc.  Marr will reload but how long will he coach, 5 more? 10 more?  Come on boys!!  Get UA that title this weekend. 

"Field hockey has some success and can get back to final 4 but losing Battaglia will set them back awhile."

Battaglino was women's lax coach, not FH.

Lacrosse is like ice hockey. Primarily an eastern/midwestern sport. Hockey is even more so a "little" school sport. When Union can take down Minnesota or Minnesota-Duluth can beat Notre Dame, etc it shows what can be done. LAX has a long history in the northeast and mid atlantic and there were more established big schools, plus the Ivies. They still suck up the majority of the UA All Americans and top recruits. But LAX is exploding at the HS and club level. Utah is adding D1 LAX and there's apparently a lot of HS talent in Utah. It'll be interesting to see how the traditional powers and near powers hang on to the bulk of the talent as both the sport as a whole and the D1 programs expand. 

41 minutes ago, UAFAN said:

"Field hockey has some success and can get back to final 4 but losing Battaglia will set them back awhile."

Battaglino was women's lax coach, not FH.

Thanks, my bad.

29 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Lacrosse is like ice hockey. Primarily an eastern/midwestern sport. Hockey is even more so a "little" school sport. When Union can take down Minnesota or Minnesota-Duluth can beat Notre Dame, etc it shows what can be done. LAX has a long history in the northeast and mid atlantic and there were more established big schools, plus the Ivies. They still suck up the majority of the UA All Americans and top recruits. But LAX is exploding at the HS and club level. Utah is adding D1 LAX and there's apparently a lot of HS talent in Utah. It'll be interesting to see how the traditional powers and near powers hang on to the bulk of the talent as both the sport as a whole and the D1 programs expand. 

But Lacrosse is spreading on the College level.  MANY school are recruiting from Oregon, California, texas, Arizona, Georgia etc.  I try to follow recruiting.  It is incredible how much it has spread over the last 10 years or so.   My HS did not have it so I never played.  My son played in HS and Div II at UA.  His senior year was the year before Marr was hired