UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #16: 1/5/19 - 7PM vs UVM **COACHES CURE CF GAME**

The GDAC website summarizes the benefits associated with contribution levels. It does appear that access into the basketball GDAC area requires $1,000 annual donation.

This is okay, but I think it should be opened up to everyone. There weren't that many people down there, and a vacant or sparsely populated GDAC area doesn't look good IMHO. Imagine a packed GDAC baseline biergarten for the game? Maybe a couple flat screen TVs down there too for people packed in the back of the baseline biergarten ("the dog pound"?). Add some freshly cooked burgers that are cooked outside in the SEFCU lot on a grill and brought in for sale in the biergarten. The potential is there for the Dog Pound, Dane Pound, Baseline Bandits or whatever you want to call it. Turn the HOF into a nursery or something for the families with young kids (or keep it the way it is). Getting 1 beer in the HOF room and getting back to see the start of the second half on time is possible but not always reasonable.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

1 hour ago, UA1882 said:

To be honest with you, I can donate much more than I do . Once I see a commitment to ualbany sports (because right now its amateur hour) , I will donate substantially more.  I'm sure I'm not alone with that sentiment. 

I will not renew my football season tickets, so my donations with decrease again. 

FYI I'm ranked in the lower 400's. 

I'm top 200 last I looked a few months ago but will be dropping football this season until Gattuso is fired or shows that he's not a loser. 

I have ability to give more but right now there is no vision for athletics... Nothing on arena front etc. So I'll hold on to my money. 

I would agree with opening it up somewhat.  I’d think it be based in annual giving or based on overall GDAC points.  They’ve clearly set the bar too high as it is very lightly used.  If you are say top 150 or 200 you’ve been a good friend to the athletic department but that’s not taken into consideration unless you hit $1,000 that year.  In theory you could be top ten in GDAC points but not have access.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, McFan said:

I would agree with opening it up somewhat.  I’d think it be based in annual giving or based on overall GDAC points.  They’ve clearly set the bar too high as it is very lightly used.  If you are say top 150 or 200 you’ve been a good friend to the athletic department but that’s not taken into consideration unless you hit $1,000 that year.  In theory you could be top ten in GDAC points but not have access.  Just my opinion.

It's filled to capacity most games as it is.  As it's currently configured, it doesn't need to be opened up.

41 minutes ago, alum73 said:

It's filled to capacity most games as it is.  As it's currently configured, it doesn't need to be opened up.

Ok.  When I enter that door prior to games there’s usually a handful of people there.  Maybe I enter too close to top off, usually 5 minutes.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:16 AM, Clickclack said:

For the 50th time... This was never the plan. The plan wasn't to start 4 freshman. But we have to live with it... Give these kids a year or two. 

While I fully understand that this wasn't the plan, I'm not sure how this sets us this far behind.  Even if I were to give the youth/inexperience a pass we only have 5/6 guys that can even find playing time?  One of those a senior that quite honestly shouldn't.   As a quick comparison on a minutes per game basis UVM only has 2 seniors in their top 7.  Are you comfortable that our youth will improve so much that they'll compete w/ UVM's youth?  Won't their youth improve too?  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, McFan said:

While I fully understand that this wasn't the plan, I'm not sure how this sets us this far behind.  Even if I were to give the youth/inexperience a pass we only have 5/6 guys that can even find playing time?  One of those a senior that quite honestly shouldn't.   As a quick comparison on a minutes per game basis UVM only has 2 seniors in their top 7.  Are you comfortable that our youth will improve so much that they'll compete w/ UVM's youth?  Won't their youth improve too?  

Flat out, I think I our youth is better then their youth...Moll is Moll...their other underclassman that has a chance to be pretty good is the youngest Duncan brothers. Their junior class starts and ends with Lamb, the middle Duncan is a serviceable role player. Their sophomores of note are Stef Smith who I love...Ra Kpedi, Ben Shungu and Bailey Pattela are role players.

I've seen almost every UVM game this year...what they do exceptionally well is play off Lamb and everyone knows their roles. Individual talent; the tip of the spear is Lamb, everyone else runs to their spots and does their job. They also have some fairly old experienced players. Ernie Duncan and Dingba are both almost 25 years old, Everett Duncan is going on 24 and is a junior...(according to KenPom). I think they as a team will take another step back next year...right now outside of Lamb they have very little inside, their guards play will take a step back with Ernie retiring. 

Edited by Clickclack

1 minute ago, Eli said:

What happened that they are so old (24/25)? That seems to be a bit of an unfair advantage outside the norm ~4 year difference playing against 18 and 19yr olds lol.

Duncan was a medical red-shirt...Dingba is from Cameroon so you never know if he's 24 going on 34 but he played two years at Quinnipiac and transferred and I believe sat a year. 

17 minutes ago, statefan said:

Did you have the same position during Peter Hooley's senior year?

Peter Hooley going into his senior year was a full year younger then Duncan...as a point of clarification. Going into senior year Hooley was 23.9 years old while Ernie was 24.7. 

My only point was to say that they have a lot of experienced older guys and it shows with their demeanor, focus etc. I'm not one to castigate the age of opposing players, they are within NCAA rules so it's game on. 

43 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Duncan was a medical red-shirt...Dingba is from Cameroon so you never know if he's 24 going on 34 but he played two years at Quinnipiac and transferred and I believe sat a year. 

lol @ 24 going on 34.

40 minutes ago, statefan said:

Did you have the same position during Peter Hooley's senior year?

I actually didn't know Hooley was that old to be honest...but knowing that, yep. Kind of explains why Peter had always seemed to be so relaxed on the floor and never panic'ed.

21 hours ago, Clickclack said:

I'm top 200 last I looked a few months ago but will be dropping football this season until Gattuso is fired or shows that he's not a loser. 

I have ability to give more but right now there is no vision for athletics... Nothing on arena front etc. So I'll hold on to my money. 

I just checked...I'm 225, dropped a bit...not renewing football will drop me more but it's a price I'm willing to pay unless I just donate that money to basketball program. 

Edited by Clickclack

9 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Peter Hooley going into his senior year was a full year younger then Duncan...as a point of clarification. Going into senior year Hooley was 23.9 years old while Ernie was 24.7. 

My only point was to say that they have a lot of experienced older guys and it shows with their demeanor, focus etc. I'm not one to castigate the age of opposing players, they are within NCAA rules so it's game on. 

In NCAA D1 Hockey not unusual to see a 23 + year senior ...

12 hours ago, Clickclack said:

I've seen almost every UVM game this year...what they do exceptionally well is play off Lamb and everyone knows their roles. Individual talent; the tip of the spear is Lamb, everyone else runs to their spots and does their job. They also have some fairly old experienced players. Ernie Duncan and Dingba are both almost 25 years old, Everett Duncan is going on 24 and is a junior...(according to KenPom). I think they as a team will take another step back next year...right now outside of Lamb they have very little inside, their guards play will take a step back with Ernie retiring. 

I don't buy the "old" argument but I do buy the experience part. Smith, both Duncans, Lamb and a couple other Vermont guys have been through the AE championships, NIT and NCAA wars and it showed. They played with an intensity our guys hadn't really seen yet.

At the beginning of the year, our young guys didn't realize how hard you have to play to win a D1 game.  Conference play is a step up in intensity that they learned the hard way on Saturday night and Vermont is a good teacher.

I'm not sure Vermont will take a step back next year. It seems like everyone says that about them every year and they don't. We'll take a step or two forward.

• Thanks 2