UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #23: 2/1/2020 @ 7PM vs Vermont-- Big Purple Growl

We got what we needed with scoring from Rizzuto off the bench and Hansen defending and rebounding. Lamb is just that good and Vermont is just that tough.

Tough ask for Hutch to guard Lamb early on.

That was a playoff kind of atmosphere and the difference in experience was on display. Most of Vermont's guys have played in big times and they maintained a high level and we fell off for a stretch in the second half.

Tough fouls on Hank. I thought we played well with him in the game.

• Like 1

Bummer of a loss after a surprisingly strong first half. Cam had a nice start, but Lamb, and really all of Vermont, is unflappable. Their big shots were just shots, y'know?

Rizutto played well and Hansen looked good for long stretches. That one block was killer. As usual, the drought killed us and Vermont is too good for the team to dig out of whatever lead gets built up.

8 hours ago, uofalbany said:

Dude needs to chill.   Wondering what Vermont fans listening think of him.

The local crews usually have at least one homer, so that’s ok. He just needs to restrain his enthusiasm. Especially when you’re on what is the biggest and best known sports broadcasting network in the country. Maybe some people like it. 

There was no answer for Lamb, foul shooting was bad, UVM just has more shooters and talent. They did scrap. Isn’t it the coach’s job to call a time out and remind the team of the scout and the plan when they are on the short end of a run or look rattled? Are they incapable of settling? Are the instructions ineffective? Are they in over their heads against UVM? I don’t know, but when you drop 8 in a row and are on a severe deficit on the all time head to head, it’s hard to call them arch rivals. 

Basketball is a funny game, Lamb was great. He was in that great zone and most of his shots were  contested and in the 2nd half his teammates knocked down every open look they got!

with that said take away the 60' foot buzzer heater at halftime and if someone other then Clark of Healy could make a FT we would of had a chance.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, UA1882 said:

He played very well . Hit some big shots. But to be fair he has not played well this year. However , u are right , I hope this is the start of his improved play the rest of the year . 

We played very well today overall. Brown coached well. We need to continue to improve the talent on this team.  

We played with urgency and effort for most of the night. Unfortunately we got blitzed coming out of the half and had no answer for it. Lamb played extremely well too. I figured he would play well, but he went above and beyond. What to do in the PG back up spot is such a lingering problem that isn't going to go away.

9 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Overall I thought the team played very well . If we win even another 3 games that would be a 3 game improvement from last year. 

We just need a little bit of help but we should at least be a slightly above average team next year, 18 wins or so. 

At 5-3 after 1st run thru league, and baring any more injuries, we should go 5-3 again and finish 10-6.  Would be good enough for at least 4th place if not 3rd.  3rd would be optimal to avoid UVM till final.  Probable loses to UVM, SBU, and either a Hartford or a let down on the road to a weaker team.  Have to protect home court and beat the teams below us.  

Its clear we are exactly a 5-3 team.. solid low d1 team. Good season considering all the injuries and unimaginable regression of lulka, desousa, rizzuto and hank. Anthony Lamb owns the america east, as long as hes healthy vermont wins. When he graduates, will be a different story, those kids come once every fifteen years. Vermonts run will be over soon! Take lamb off court we win by 20.

vt won because of UA's one cold stretch; rebounding in the second half, and shooting above their average. vt shot 53% overall 51% from 3; Lamb shoot 60% from 3 and 100% from the line. All those #s are considerably higher than their yearly average. UA had a slight rebound advantage in the first half, but down 9 for the game. UA actually shot pretty well overall also (45% & 46% from 3); but only scored 4 points in the first 8-9 minutes of the second ½, shooting 2 for 10 (or there about) in that span. Both teams had a respectable 12 TO,s. Also at one point UA missed 7 consecutive free throws. 

Except for 2-3 break downs resulting in wide open looks in the second ½, UA contested well overall; vt just shoot better. 

I hope we play them twice more; and I think we win one (hopefully the one in the tournament.) I also do not think 6-2 out of the question in the stretch. We play the tougher teams (except vt) @ home; and IMHO we get revenge on Hford even on the road.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bball2020 said:

unimaginable regression of [...] hank.

That's a weird take. I've been consistently impressed with him this year and think he's largely been very good on the defensive end against less athletic bigs. He's also made a big leap offensively and should/could be a six to eight points a night guy.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, blorp said:

That's a weird take. I've been consistently impressed with him this year and think he's largely been very good on the defensive end against less athletic bigs. He's also made a big leap offensively and should/could be a six to eight points a night guy.

That slip screen for the dunk in 1st few minutes was perfect and wonder why it doesn't work a few times a game.  I know defenses respond to it and look for it so not gonna be available all game.  He had another later but Healy did not throw it over the top enough and was knocked away.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 11:25 AM, blorp said:

I agree here. I have been pleasantly surprised with Hank this year. Plays his role well, doesn't try to do too much and gives the team quality minutes and effort. 

• Like 2