UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB 2020-21 Preseason - News/Articles/Predictions/Chatter

Since the season is no longer in doubt and we have a schedule - lets move the conversation out of the  "2020-2021 season in doubt?" thread and start the conversation on the upcoming season!

With a 22 games season, I'll start the prediction at: 13-9 final record

2020-21 UAlbany Men's Basketball Schedule

Nov. 28 Marist W
Dec. 3-4 BHOF Tip-Off Tournament L L
Dec. 19-20 UMBC* L W
Dec. 23 Bryant W
Jan. 2-3 at Vermont* L W
Jan. 9-10 Stony Brook* W W
Jan. 16-17 NJIT* W L
Jan. 23-24 at New Hampshire* W L
Jan. 30-31 UMass Lowell* W W
Feb. 6-7 at Maine*  L W
Feb. 18-19 Binghamton*  W W
Feb. 27-28 at Hartford* L L

*denotes America East opponent

Maybe I spoke to soon on the season happening. Just got the notification on the ESPN app that basketball activities were suspended today due to a "presumptively positive test for an individual associated with the program"

Maybe we aren't in as good of a position as I thought. 

59 minutes ago, blorp said:

I'm amazed at your optimism. Not that the team will win 13 games, way too many question marks to even start making a prediciton, but that you think they'll actually play all 22 games

And yes I think they will play all 22 games. I also think that we will see fans in the seats by the end of the season. I mean the arena has already been pretty "socially distant" the last few years anyway. 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great interview with Will Brown talking about this year's team and what he expects. He seemed pretty high on the transfers and Amica. No real talk about Hank or Lulka in the interview. 

It's a couple of days old, as it is from the first day of latest pause. So little news on the team this year, so it's great to hear some news.

Some great other conversations with UA people if you look at the past podcasts from this group.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, godanesgo99 said:

Great interview with Will Brown talking about this year's team and what he expects. He seemed pretty high on the transfers and Amica. No real talk about Hank or Lulka in the interview. 

It's a couple of days old, as it is from the first day of latest pause. So little news on the team this year, so it's great to hear some news.

Some great other conversations with UA people if you look at the past podcasts from this group.

Thanks for posting that. It felt good to listen to some basketball talk.

I'll be curious to see where Lulka plays if we get some games in this year. From out recruiting, it almost looks like they'll play him at the center spot and rotate with Hank. 

• 2 weeks later...

Syracuse Orange Men's Basketball played today in what I believe was an unexpected close game....where will UAlbany be on this spectrum... winning unexpected games or losing games we expected the Great Danes to win...

The link to the Syracuse game is below:

https://cuse.com/news/2020/11/27/mens-basketball-orange-outlast-bulldogs-85-84.aspx

Thoughts, feelings and opinions....

I know there are issues with the pandemic, and practices have been shut down for most of the preseason, but is it me or has the preseason coverage this year been way more lacking than the past few years.

You would think that the Athletic department would use this as an opportunity to promote the team with press releases and team info. While they aren't trying to get fans in the seats, it is free marketing to grow interest and the fan base. With so few other sporting events happening, you'd think the reporters would want more the write about.

Edited by godanesgo99

8 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I know there are issues with the pandemic, and practices have been shut down for most of the preseason, but is it me or has the preseason coverage this year been way more lacking than the past few years.

It is NOT you. Coverage in the TU has been practically nil and even Wyland on 13 has had pretty much nothing. lcc has an article in the paper EVERY single day; even if it says the exact same thing as the previous day. UA may appear once per week if that much. Absolutely outrages!

And not to be labor the point and bring up old wounds; but COMMUNICATION in all forms has been an issue with UA athletics since Benson arrived, and to a lesser degree previously. On October 13th, I emailed the ticket department, stating I wanted to order my season basketball tickets and make an appropriate gdac donation whether there was a season or NOT {just as I had done for football.} I was told there was a new ticket purveyor in the works and would be available in two weeks. Almost two months later and nada. Imagine that, they cannot even take money when offered. A week ago Benson emails saying all games would be on ESPN, a fact that was not exactly earth shattering news. Then he says keep an eye out for the "Virtual Sellout Program." What kind of nonsense is that!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just give us the details, why the suspense. What a jerk (sorry I simply have no use for the guy, I will not bore you with my MANY reason why.)

Edited by dslyank

I haven't been following closely, but heard about the pause again while getting lunch. Not good. About the only normal thing was the lcc coach is whining again (in the times useless) about other coaches. This time they aren't "honest" and afraid to play his team. LOL

Probably never occurred to him when in normal times you act bigger than you are, refuse home and home with other midmajors thinking they should be lined up to play every year on your court you aren't going to have other teams lined up to play your garbage school. 

Edited by bob87
  • Like 3

Two reasons to avoid media coverage of the team:

1. They expect to be exceedingly good and want to surprise other teams.

2. They expect to be exceedingly bad and want to keep expectations low with all the pauses and missed practices. 

Any other situation I can think of should have the athletic department doing as many interviews and press releases as possible. Fan interest could take a huge leap forward with all the shut downs. It would give people something to follow and hopefully result in more fans in the seats when things eventually return to some semblance of normalcy.

Just received:

http://albany.imodules.com/s/1642/images/gid2/editor/ud_emails/gdac/greatdanesellout_header_2.jpg

Thank you for your support last season as a UAlbany basketball season ticket holder. Your purchase of season tickets combined with your preferred seating fund donation to the Great Dane Athletic Club (GDAC) helped support the needs of our nearly 500 student-athletes.

This year has been challenging for everyone in so many ways. For UAlbany Athletics, in addition to postponement of practice and competitive schedules for our student-athletes, the department is facing a $2 Million financial gap. In order to help bridge that gap, we have developed a fund raising program that we hope you will consider participating in. The Great Dane Virtual Sellout begins today and will continue throughout the basketball season or until we reach a SEFCU Arena sellout – 4,250 seats.

Would you consider donating the cost of your season tickets and preferred seating fund gift as a contribution to UAlbany Athletics?

2019-20 Tickets: $$400.00 

2019-20 Preferred Seating Fund: $$100.00 

Receiving your gift would be an important step towards reaching the goal of a sold out SEFCU. We are also appealing to other UAlbany season ticket holders, alumni, parents and friends to support this effort. For every $25 raised, we’ll fill one seat.

Check out the details here: https://ualbanysports.com/feature/VirtualSellout

In addition to playing an important role by helping our student-athletes, donations to the Great Dane Virtual Sellout initiative come with several other great benefits and automatically enter contributors of $100 or more into our monthly drawings featuring many Great Dane prizes. See below for benefits and drawing information.

If you would like to participate in this initiative, please click on the “Give Now” button below, enter the gift amount you’d like to contribute, and type the words, “SEFCU Arena Sellout” in the Comments section.

http://albany.imodules.com/s/1642/images/gid2/editor/ud_emails/athletics/greatdanesellout_givenowbutton.jpg

Thank you again for being a part of our team. Don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or would prefer to make a donation in some manner other than online.

http://albany.imodules.com/s/1642/images/gid2/editor/ud_emails/gdac/signatures/craigturnbull.png

Craig Turnbull

Associate AD for Development

http://albany.imodules.com/s/1642/images/gid2/editor/ud_emails/athletics/greatdanesellout_benefitsheader2.jpg

$25+ Donors

New Logo Damien Magnet

$100+ Donors

Inclusion in Monthly Random Prize Drawings^

New Logo Damien Magnet

$250+ Donors

New Logo Damien T-shirt

New Logo Damien Magnet

$1,000+ Donors

New Logo Damien Men’s or Women’s Polo Shirt

On-Field Experience for UAlbany Football*

New Logo Damien Magnet

$2,500+ Donors

New Logo Damien Men’s or Women’s Pullover

“Sit with the Team” at a UAlbany Basketball Game#

On-Field Experience for UAlbany Football*

New Logo Damien Magnet

^ Monthly random prize drawing:

Month 1: VIP Men's Lacrosse Experience: Four (4) suite tickets, food & beverage and a parking pass for a home Men's Lacrosse game (Game TBD)

Month 2: VIP Football Experience: Four (4) suite tickets, food & beverage and a parking pass for a Fall 2021 home football game (Game TBD)

Month 3: Grand Prize - VIP Football Road Game Experience: Four (4) tickets and field passes plus parking to UAlbany at Syracuse on November 18, 2021

* On-Field Experience is Four Tickets and One Parking Pass to A Home UAlbany Football Game in Fall of 2021 with the opportunity to be on the field for warm-ups and the run on to the field.

# “Sit with The Team” Includes Four Tickets and One Parking Pass to A Home UAlbany Men’s or Women’s Basketball Game in Seats Directly Behind the Bench at Floor Level During the 2021-22 Season

Please be aware that only the portion of your contribution that exceeds the value of any items or benefits you receive are tax-deductible. The estimated fair market value of items or benefits you receive can be found at https://ualbanysports.com/feature/VirtualSellout You are encouraged to consult your tax advisor for applicability of IRS regulations.

http://albany.imodules.com/s/1642/images/gid2/editor/ud_emails/gdac/purple-gdac.png

http://albany.imodules.com/s/1642/images/gid2/editor/ud_emails/student_affairs/design_elements/facebook.png
http://albany.imodules.com/s/1642/images/gid2/editor/ud_emails/student_affairs/design_elements/twitter.png
http://albany.imodules.com/s/1642/images/gid2/editor/ud_emails/student_affairs/design_elements/insta.png

Great Dane Athletic Club | The University at Albany Foundation, Albany, NY 12222

Unsubscribe

Having trouble viewing this email? View it online.