UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What is Will Brown's next stop? (After his next NCAA Tournament)

On 12/17/2022 at 6:06 PM, statefan said:

Brown said he wants to be a college head coach again — even if it's not Division I. He said it would take a "very, very unique" situation for him to become a college assistant. Brown said he wouldn't rule out pro coaching or scouting vacancies.

The arrogance is still there I see. Bridges must have been torched around the D1 game. Good on him sticking to his guns.

Edited by UA'08

On 12/17/2022 at 7:32 PM, Eli said:

Many may disagree with me but IMO UA should bring him back. With a new arena, locker rooms, etc. I'm sure he can recruit better than he did in the past. But we know Benson will never allow it because rumor has it he wanted Brown gone for a long time. I'd personally welcome Will Brown back with open arms.

Hard pass. There’s been two off seasons already for a school to snatch him up to be their head coach. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DanesRGood said:

The negativity on Coach Brown is weird. I'll always be thankful for what he did at UA. 

Two things can be true, thankful for the many wonderful years and great moments and wanting to move on and try someone new as the program had stagnated. He did some great things here and grew the program and will always be remembered in a positive way I think. But 20 years is a long time. 

I wish him and his family the best, hopefully he gets another shot to be a D1 coach. I think looking at what we have now and what we had, clearly, he was pretty good especially x's and o's. 

Edited by Clickclack

10 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Two things can be true, thankful for the many wonderful years and great moments and wanting to move on and try someone new as the program had stagnated. He did some great things here and grew the program and will always be remembered in a positive way I think. But 20 years is a long time. 

I wish him and his family the best, hopefully he gets another shot to be a D1 coach. I think looking at what we have now and what we had, clearly, he was pretty good especially x's and o's. 

Agree.  I wasn't saying he should be back. Just weird to see the negativity about a guy who brought us 5 championships and a lot of good basketball and great memories. 

Still think losing O'Donnell was a huge huge blow. Recruiting really dipped after he left. But that's all in the past. Very much wish WB and family the best!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, jimbo said:

Good for him. He gets to do what he loves, gets to stay in the area and work for a good school. I wish him well. 

The College of St Rose and the Brown Family have had a connection as Will was a MBB assistant coach and his father taught part time there during Will's early years at UAlbany.

Wishing Will much success in a difficult DII conference.

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

The College of St Rose and the Brown Family have had a connection as Will was a MBB assistant coach and his father taught part time there during Will's early years at UAlbany.

Wishing Will much success in a difficult DII conference.

All true however, the bigger connection is through Jamie.  Her uncle is Brian Beaury. 

SAINT ROSE WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

It’s no joke: Brown set to take the reins

Ex-UAlbany men’s coach says that the school has special place in his heart

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F06%2F24&id=Pc0100600&ext=.jpg&ts=20230624065952
Will Waldron / Times Union

Will Brown is introduced as the women’s basketball coach at Saint Rose on Friday. He previously served as a men’s assistant coach there and met his wife at the school.

ALBANY — About three weeks ago, College of Saint Rose athletic director Lori Anctil tapped former University at Albany men’s basketball coach Will Brown on the shoulder at an AAU basketball event at Gavin Park in Saratoga Springs.

Brown’s son, Landon, and Anctil’s daughter, Madilyn, were playing in separate games.

After a little small talk, Anctil asked Brown if he was interested in becoming her new women’s basketball coach. Brown didn’t think Anctil was being serious.

“No, I did not,” Brown said Friday. “And it’s a running joke between Lori and I because I chuckled right away and she said, ‘Well, that’s not the response I was hoping for.’ And I said, ‘You serious?’ And she’s like, ‘Yeah.’ And I’m like, ‘Nobody’s ever asked me that question before and I’ve never done it before.’ ”

He’s about to do it. After Anctil asked him to give it more thought and Brown did some homework, he decided to accept her offer to succeed Whitney Edwards as the Golden Knights’ women’s basketball coach. He was introduced at Friday’s news conference.

Edwards left last month to become associate head coach at Northeastern University.

Brown, who won 315 games and went to five NCAA Tournaments with the Great Danes men from 2001 to 2021, will try to raise the Saint Rose women to heights not seen since Curt Bailey led the team to dominance in the 1990s. Brown was a Golden Knights men’s assistant then from 1995 to 1998.

Brown first met his wife, Jamie, a Saint Rose graduate, at the school.

“(Anctil) was really patient,” Brown said. “I love this place. I’ve got a special place in my heart for Saint Rose and I wanted to make sure that it was something that I thought I could do and that I thought I can do well.”

Anctil said she has always respected Brown’s work and thought he was a tremendous coach. After becoming athletic director in 2019, Anctil got to know Brown and his feelings for the school. She also observed him when he coached The Basketball League’s Albany Patroons to the league Finals last season.

“I’m always going to try to go after the best coach that I can,” Anctil said. “And when you have that coach right in your backyard, why not? Never going to shy away from thinking outside the box or really, honestly, going after who I think is the best coach.”

Before accepting the position, Brown said he talked to men who have coached women’s teams, including former Saint Rose player Sean Organ, who coaches the Averill Park girls, and former University of Maine coach Richard Barron, who coached the Black Bears men and women.

He also spoke with Troy native Julie McBride, the former Syracuse star who assisted Brown with the Patroons, and UAlbany women’s coach Colleen Mullen, with whom he has a strong relationship.

“I don’t know if I was hoping somebody would be like, ‘No, no, no,’ ” Brown said. “Everybody was like, ‘You’re going to crush it. You’re going to love it. You’re going to enjoy it — probably more.’ ”

Saint Rose went 11-16 last season. The Golden Knights have seven returning players and five incoming recruits who signed with Edwards.

▶› msingelais@timesunion.com A 518-454-5509 @MarkSingelais

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, jimbo said:

Just as an update….St Rose WBB is 13-3 with Will Brown at the helm. Apparently he can coach the ladies as well. 

With St. Rose closing down at the end of this semester, Will can add this work experience to his resume as there could be one or two DI WBB coach positions open in the Capital District as well as one or two DI MBB positions open at the end of the season.

I would not be shocked or surprised if both DI schools make leadership changes and there is a real possibility of a WBB coach moving on to the next level.

I had the same thought re: UA and Mullen and Brown. How quirky would it be if WB came back as a UA WBB coach or are all of those bridges burned? His choices are pretty limited if he wants to stay in the area. UA has more choices. Mullen is clearly an excellent coach and appears to be a good judge of talent via the recruiting and portal process. Even if she likes the area and wants to stay there will come an offer impossible to refuse.