UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Football- Greg Gattuso Watch

1 hour ago, DanesRGood said:
  • National Signing Day:  Does Gattuso and his assistants make any headway?
    • What recruit would look at this program right now and REALLY want to come here?  Lame duck coach with a REALLY bad team
  • Transfer Portal: Who leaves UAlbany for better opportunities .... Can UAlbany find someone in the portal to fill a need? ...willing to take a huge chance
    • Why would any good player want to stay here with a lame duck coach and a REALLY bad team?
  • Does Gattuso jettison some of his assistants?
    • I doubt it.
  • Does Benson and Vic make a visible effort supervise Gattuso?  Has Benson and Vic dictated changes they want?
    • Supervise?  Are either of them football guys? Are they going to say who starts, who sits, what plays to run?  highly doubt it.

Honestly, this whole thing is terrible. To me next year is a throwaway season.  

1000%.

We're going to lose our best players (JUC, Verse, etc.), just watch. And no good players will want to come here without knowing the situation is long term, etc. The ONLY way I see a good player coming here is if they had issues at other schools with discipline, etc....kind of like 'Last Chance U' at the JUCO level. But do we want those kinds of 'castaways'?

If we thought this year was bad, wait till next year...we might win 1 game. Maybe.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 2

Goodbye Casey. Goodbye GDAC. Goodbye UA football. Goodbye FloSports. 

Just an additional note: The 2021 FCS bracket. CAA has 2, JMU and Nova. JMU is leaving the conference. Missouri Valley has 6 and Big Sky has 5. I am more than a little concerned at this point that the CAA is slipping into mid FCS pack irrelevance and it might no longer be worth it to be a member. Maybe it was just the parity in the conference, I don't know. Losses of teams to FBS over the years, coupled with known Northeast recruiting disadvantages and members dropping football have really put a dent in the CAA (formerly A-10 and Yankee) conference. Like I think Dyslank has said, maybe the NEC was a better spot. I'll admit to being excited about the change and the new stadium, but the decline of the CAA against the rest of the FCS and being saddled with GG has really made me long for the years of NEC dominance. 

Edited by jimbo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jimbo said:

Goodbye Casey. Goodbye GDAC. Goodbye UA football. Goodbye FloSports. 

Just an additional note: The 2021 FCS bracket. CAA has 2, JMU and Nova. JMU is leaving the conference. Missouri Valley has 6 and Big Sky has 5. I am more than a little concerned at this point that the CAA is slipping into mid FCS pack irrelevance and it might no longer be worth it to be a member. Maybe it was just the parity in the conference, I don't know. Losses of teams to FBS over the years, coupled with known Northeast recruiting disadvantages and members dropping football have really put a dent in the CAA (formerly A-10 and Yankee) conference. Like I think Dyslank has said, maybe the NEC was a better spot. I'll admit to being exited about the change and the new stadium, but the decline of the CAA against the rest of the FCS and being saddled with GG has really made me long for the years of NEC dominance. 

Did JMU formally announce ?

2 hours ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Did JMU formally announce ?

Yes. Sunbelt Conference. Two year transition. Joining no later than 2023. CAA already put the screws to them in terms of a ban from any conference championships.  I don’t see Nova going anywhere. Honestly, I think the next big upheaval is either a new division for the P5 schools or them leaving the NCAA entirely. IMHO, only 5% of D1 basketball schools have a shot at a title in any given year and in football, it’s not much different. UConn and UMass football are cautionary tales of the difficulties in getting traction for FBS programs in the Northeast. They’re both floundering and both starting over with new coaches in 2022. Plus, no conference affiliations. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DanesRGood said:
  • National Signing Day:  Does Gattuso and his assistants make any headway?
    • What recruit would look at this program right now and REALLY want to come here?  Lame duck coach with a REALLY bad team
  • Transfer Portal: Who leaves UAlbany for better opportunities .... Can UAlbany find someone in the portal to fill a need? ...willing to take a huge chance
    • Why would any good player want to stay here with a lame duck coach and a REALLY bad team?
  • Does Gattuso jettison some of his assistants?
    • I doubt it.
  • Does Benson and Vic make a visible effort supervise Gattuso?  Has Benson and Vic dictated changes they want?
    • Supervise?  Are either of them football guys? Are they going to say who starts, who sits, what plays to run?  highly doubt it.

Honestly, this whole thing is terrible. To me next year is a throwaway season.  

Thank you for your doom and gloom response ... but your response begs the question:  Is there a place in UAlbany's future for football after the 2022 season?  Whether the conference is the NEC or the CAA .... will we be the next Hofstra and Northeastern? Was keeping Gattuso a set up for the football program to fail completely? 

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

25 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

Thank you for your doom and gloom response ... but your response begs the question:  Is there a place in UAlbany's future for football after the 2022 season?  Whether the conference is the NEC or the CAA .... will we be the next Hofstra and Northeastern? Was keeping Gattuso a set up for the football program to fail completely? 

It's not doom and gloom, it's reality.  Very hard to recruit after a season like this and even harder to recruit when the coach has one year left on his contract.  Good players want to know their coach will be there for more than one year.

Is there a place in UAlbany's future for football after the 2022 season? 

- Of course there is.

Whether the conference is the NEC or the CAA .... will we be the next Hofstra and Northeastern?

- CAA

Was keeping Gattuso a set up for the football program to fail completely?

- What? Lunacy

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

It's not doom and gloom, it's reality.  Very hard to recruit after a season like this and even harder to recruit when the coach has one year left on his contract.  Good players want to know their coach will be there for more than one year.

Is there a place in UAlbany's future for football after the 2022 season? 

- Of course there is.

Whether the conference is the NEC or the CAA .... will we be the next Hofstra and Northeastern?

- CAA

Was keeping Gattuso a set up for the football program to fail completely?

- What? Lunacy

DanesRGood .... you must be well connected to Mark and Vic......

There are sayings out there… “You only know what you know” …. “You don’t know what you don’t know” …. I come to the forum in hopes of fact-based information … instead the responses are meaningless one- or two-word responses …. I remain concern what others are thinking and have greater influence on UAlbany Football future …. Including the University Council…. Dr. Havidan Rodriquez …. SUNY – Central Administration … with many on this forum advocating not renewing their season tickets and the only person commenting about the future (and that is just the 2022 season) is Greg Gattuso …. Where does it leave football?

On 11/26/2021 at 9:25 AM, cwdickens said:

…. I come to the forum in hopes of fact-based information …

This is a message board filled with fans.  All you will get her is opinions.  Only people who know the facts work for the school and aren't on this board.  

They've all made it pretty clear football is now the most important sport to the Athletic Dept (that much seems to be fact from Benson's comments). MY OPINION: If that is the case, I don't see them shutting down the program. 

With any luck, UD will think GG is the second coming of Knute Rockne and lure him away to Newark.....not the Jersey one.....come on Hens! He’s coached at Pitt and Maryland. And did I mention Duquesne??please...make him an offer.....I’m beggin’ ya....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2