UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX Game Two Feb 18 (Sat) 12:00 PM Albany NY Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium against the No. 2 school in D1 Polls

Feb 18 (Sat) 12:00 PM

vs 

This is Cornell's first game of the season and UAlbany enters the game 0-1.  Cornell went 14-5 and lost to Maryland in NCAA D1 Championship Game in 2022.  UAlbany lost 16-8 in Ithaca, NY to Cornell last season.

Edited by cwdickens

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:
Feb 18 (Sat) 12:00 PM

vs 

This is Cornell's first game of the season and UAlbany enters the game 0-1.  Cornell went 14-5 and lost to Maryland in NCAA D1 Championship Game in 2022.  UAlbany lost 16-8 in Ithaca, NY to Cornell last season.

They have 10 seniors.

"The Big Red will return four of the top-five goal scorers from the 2022 season, as well as return some players from injury that fans may have missed on the field last year. The campaign kicks off at UAlbany on February 18. Face off is set for 12 p.m. at Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium. Fans curious to hear about the Big Red ahead of the season can tune in on Thursday, February 2 at 11 a.m. to view the first ever Ivy League Men's Lacrosse Media Day. Follow the link here to watch."

Edited by HOF2013
  • Thanks 1

When I started this thread, I reminded myself by reviewing the results of last year's game and how well Cornell finished.  I am preparing myself for the worse, if by some chance we win, I am breaking out The Balvenie DoubleWood Single Malt Scoth Whisky (aged 12 years).  For those who remember, I had a similar moment on Saturday, March 11, 2006 in the Dutch Quad Parking Lot.

Oh, by the way, the weather for Saturday: 

Sunny, with a high near 36.

Ahhh, thank you to my dear wife... Happy Valentine's Day... and for the Christmas gift of snow-ski pants.  They will come in handy on Saturday. 

• Like 1

• cwdickens changed the title to MLAX Game Two Feb 18 (Sat) 12:00 PM Albany NY Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium against the No. 2 school in D1 Polls

UALBANY MEN’S LACROSSE

UAlbany looks to improve vs. No. 2

UAlbany, coming off a loss to Syracuse, meets NCAA finalist Cornell

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F02%2F18&id=Pc0110600&ext=.jpg&ts=20230218080233

UAlbany men's lacrosse coach Scott Marr, who is one win shy of 200 for his career, leads his team against second-ranked Cornell on Saturday at Casey Stadium. Hans Pennink / Times Union

Coming off a 13-goal loss in the season opener at Syracuse, University at Albany men’s lacrosse coach Scott Marr is simply looking for improvement.

It won’t be easy with Cornell, the nation’s second-ranked team, coming to Albany. The Great Danes (0-1) face the Big Red, the highest-ranked opponent to visit Casey Stadium, in UAlbany’s home opener at noon Saturday.

“Right now, I honestly don’t want to look at the outcome for Saturday,” Marr said. “I just want to play better. I want to play more to our capabilities than we did (against Syracuse). I don’t think we’re that bad. It was disappointing that we didn’t play as well as we could have played. I want to make plays and just improve this week and approach the next week after that.”

Saturday’s match is the opener of a doubleheader, followed by the UAlbany women (0-1) vs. Cornell at 3 p.m. on John Fallon Field.

The UAlbany men began their season with a 20-7 setback to the Orange on Feb. 10 at JMA Wireless Dome. Syracuse went on a 7-0 run to end the match.

“You hate to say that that score is deceiving, but it kind of was,” Marr said. “It just got away from us toward the end of the fourth quarter, for sure. (Syracuse) played very well. They shot very well. I don’t want to take any credit away from how they played. I just thought that ... we made too many self-inflicted wounds.”

It’s the season opener for Cornell, which lost to Maryland in last year’s national championship game. The Big Red are No. 2 in the Inside Lacrosse media poll. Maryland was ranked third when the Terrapins beat UAlbany 12-11 at Casey Stadium in 2016.

“Our guys pay attention,” Marr said. “They know Cornell played in the national championship game last year. They know they’re very good. They know where they’re sitting in the polls, but they’re ranked No. 2 from last year’s team. This is a different team for Cornell as well.”

The Big Red beat UAlbany 16-8 in last year’s opener in Ithaca. Cornell returns junior attack CJ Kirst and senior defense-man Gavin Adler from that team. Both players are on the watch list for the Tewaaraton Award, given to the top player in college lacrosse. Big Red senior goalie Chayse Ierlan is the younger brother of former Great Danes faceoff standout TD Ierlan.

Marr said Wednesday he was uncertain which goalie he’ll start. Senior Tommy Heller started against Syracuse and made two saves and allowed nine goals. He was pulled in favor of junior Jack VanValkenburgh, who made seven saves and gave up 11 goals.

“Tommy’s played better in practice this week again,” Marr said.

Marr said his team’s injury situation is largely unchanged from before the Syracuse opener. Starting defenseman Will Pepe is still out with a broken collarbone. Mid-fielders Conner Fingar (knee), Patrick Mai (hip surgery) are done for the year and midfielder Jacob Moran (hamstring) is also out. Attack Camden Hay (knee) also has a season-ending injury.

The midfield injuries forced freshmen Justin Lee and Alex Pfeiffer into significant action in their college debuts at Syracuse.

“I thought they played fine, and it is a great experience for them,” Marr said. “You’re a kid following college lacrosse your whole life and your first game is at the Dome against Syracuse. That’s unbelievable experience. It’s a lot easier to jump into the Cornell game knowing you played Syracuse the week before.”

UAlbany plays its next five games at home. Marr’s next victory will be the 200th of his career.

Cornell at UAlbany

■› When: Noon Saturday

■› Where: Casey Stadium, Albany ▶› msingelais@- timesunion.com A 518-454-5509 A @MarkSingelais

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the article. I just can't sit in the stands today. Just too much emotionally invested in the program to see the same mistakes and excuses over the last 4-5 years. Going to watch on TV with a cold beer. I'll be most interested to see what if any personnel changes, especially on defense. I don't like the move of Gash to LSM and Piseno down low, and would like to understand why Stratton who started a lot and played pretty well didn't play against Syracuse.

This staff IMO has been really guilty of the shiny penny syndrome as opposed to developing players, especially on defense.

2 hours ago, UAlbany09 said:

Why did they stop using Fallon Field for games? They have a dedicated lacrosse facility and they don’t seem to be using it. The game looks horrible with all the football lines. 

Seating capacity only 2,500 with improvised concessions and portapotties

• Like 1

21 hours ago, UAlbany09 said:

Why did they stop using Fallon Field for games? They have a dedicated lacrosse facility and they don’t seem to be using it. The game looks horrible with all the football lines. 

Many major programs use their football stadiums.... as said most lacrosse stagiums do not have comfy seating and heated bathrooms/

• Like 1

I thought the effort by UAlbany was much better on both the offensive and defensive ends, with perhaps two or three exceptions and couple of ref's calls. As another long term UAlbany lacrosse watcher said "a young team with lots of heart and talent.  They can only get better".

• Like 1

Saw game live and re-watched the first half; came away from both with the feel that this UA team could be for real IF.  And I'll get to that if in a second, but first a couple comments on yesterday. Certainly, Cornell looked like an Ivy team playing its first game with less than three weeks of practice; much like UA the previous week when they went up against cuse, who already had an actual game under its belt. Regardless, UA really did outplay Cornell in pretty much all facets but one GROUND BALLS. Stats which certainly are not all telling do bear this out {Cornell goalie did have more saves, but IMHO Heller"s were overall more spectacular.}  UA absolutely had a couple of defensive lapses [but far far fewer than the previous week.] 10+ ground balls for Cornell, plus a couple UA D lapses, plus some questionable officiating were the difference in this game.

Bad officiating in itself can never be blamed for a loss IMHO; but in the third period (which I have not re-watched yet), a UA's player's helmet was ¾ knocked off his head, no call. On the very same series, now downfield a UA player was called for unnecessary roughness, which Cornell immediately turns into a goal. IMHO the game turned by that call and the no call. Also, twice Cornell went on a quick start with UA D's just standing around looking totally confused, one resulted in a score the other in a spectacular Heller save. Also, Cornell F/O man who was/were being called for face-off violations all game long, went on a break away, with the whole place including the Albany D just standing around thinking it was another obvious violation, walked in untouched for the goal. In situations like this, I never know if it bad coaching or just player brain &arts, when they forget to play on while "assuming" the ref has the situation under control?? Same for the quick start lapses??

Now, for the IF; sorry it took me so long to get here. I never, expected UA to win this game and don't even know if they deserved to win it or not?  Historically, UA has sometimes/often even, been able to play up vs. quality opponents and likewise play down to lesser teams. It is my humble opinion, if they can correct and fine tune a few things {ground balls, lapses, etc.} and play & practice hard consistently, this years team can be more like the Dane Trains of a few short years back. Yesterday's game was very encouraging IMHO.

Edited by dslyank