UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

@ UVM

before you jump the gun...

i never used the travel thing as an excuse as to why they lost last nights game. if you say having to sit on a bus for 3 plus hours has no effect on your body then thats your opinion. once again its not an excuse and most teams have to do that except for umbc and maine. it is simply a stupid rule because they are spending money to check into a hotel anyway the day of the game. either way they will have to spend money.

whether my opinion is misguided or not, from what i watched last night i was not blown away by vermont. they just showed more effort and grit going after loose balls and every rebound opportunity a vermont player was able to get their hands on it one way or another. i never said vermont was not talented. i said albany has more talent than vermont.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Timmy had an awful game. Obviously 4-17 shooting is tough to look at..but it seemed as if a number of his misses were after contact on drives to the hoop..which he most often gets sent to the line for. He added 4 rebounds..4 assists..3 steals..and NO turnovers. Was it a great game for him?..certainly not..but it wasn't awful either. Just as going for 21 points against CCSU doesn't automatically make it a spectacular game..if it's combined with 7 turnovers.

According to the Burlington Free Press Lonergan broke his watching yelling at his team during halftime. That must have been some speech. He said it happens about three times a year.

Vermont has a lot of guys playing at a high level. We have three guys playing well and we're uneven (young) after that. Hoping we improve as the season goes on. Keep in mind I think Vermont was missing one of it's big guys last night in Apfield - although it didn't look like they missed him.

UA...I know what you said...and that's your opinion. But to say Albany has more talent is perplexing.

Please show me where we have more talent. If you said "equal talent" and they out-hustled us...I would get that. But to say we have more talent is a stretch.

And Dane Pound is correct...they were missing Apfield who is really solid. Who replaces him? GLASS...a UMASS transfer with game. Point is, from a depth perspective...UVM has more talent. I think the addition of Suero (likely Tim's instant offense replacement if Suero is half the player he was in high school) and Rowley (who will provide much needed toughness to the big man rotation) will allow us to match up better with UVM next year talent wise and with depth of talent. Tartt and Watts will have to make a concerted off-season effort to grasp PG duties...and boom....now you are 7-8 deep talent wise...something UVM currently posseses.

And yes, as guy who has bussed to games often...it absolutely has no affect to drive 3 hours and play a game. However, I absolutely agree with you that the rule is stupid...simply because it should be up to the individual schools on whether they want to spend the coin to stay overnight.

My $.02. A 12pt loss on the road, especially a place like UVM is not awful. If Tim hits his average and Devlin/Puk/Metcalf get their usual contribution (not a lot but last night I think they scored 4 total), we win that game. I know any "IF" is worth even less than my two cent opinion, but I am not discouraged and like our chances when uvm comes to the "Q". On a negative note "if" we had a bench at all Tim could afford an occasional off night, Tim/Black would not have to play +38 minutes each, and the three headed front court would not have to worry so much about fouling (and hence could be more aggressive offensively and rebounding).

Of course those are big IF's, but weather permitting I"ll be at Hartford Sunday to see if we can regain some "mo".

Sorry I did not pay $4.99 for the feed (heard it was very good except for the announcers) been burned too many times with bad feeds or getting channel surf free after paying. Too bad UA does not offer some sort of package deal for away games--never really understood the sense of Danezone at least for us locals. I know a lot of fans not local use it when it works, but a lot more fans would benefit from some sort of away game package. I guess this would be true for any school and I wonder why some service has not persued this idea. Your potential sale audiance would be close to the average home attendance of any team that does not have a TV package. For UA maybe +2000 customers; for a team like lcc maybe 5-6000 potential customers. Any tech or marketing people out there want this idea--nocharge.

As a UVM fan I watched this game at Patrick Gym and will tell UA fans your team plays very good D. They completly shut off Fjeld inside. UA is not a #8 AE team at all. I see that team capable of beating anyone on any given night - just as I see UVM being able to do the same thing. UVM has a deep bench and that is what UA is lacking right now. Logan is the best shooter Ive seen this year except for Jimmer. All in all, UA is back.

rematch 1-29-11 ! We'll be ready

Thanks jruggs, I was only able to follow the gamecast, but the difference to me seems that against vermont, if you shut fjeld off inside, there is at least four other scoring options that can step up (in this case, Bald and Glass) whereas right now for UA, chances are if you contain our big # on most nights our other 8 guys can't hurt you. Hopefully Will can squeeze some more production from the others.

A question for those who watched:

Mike Black? Why did he take so few shots? The best i've seen our team is when Timmy/Logan/Black all have a about the same amount of shots and black fell short of the others. Sometimes I think black goes through passive stretches. Even though he forced it a little bit at the Wagner game, I loved the swagger he had when he realized that he was the only one who could do anything against Wagners man to man and he took the ball to the hoop a few consecutive times.

The result of this game wasn't far from what I expected, but how it turned out was somewhat surprising. Neither team played well, but the better team did win. What I take from this game is as follows:

On Albany: There is a very apparent problem with our 5-9 guys. If things don't change and we can't get at least 2-3 more players that will play with consistency to emerge, the league will take notice and make us pay dearly for it. I saw last night almost as a "warning", the snowball effect was there: no bench > foolish/stupid play by the starters > foul trouble > breakdown of the defense > and so on...With that said Albany was able to linger and play with a better team (albeit after we were down 10), so that's something to take away. Logan reminded us he still exists. A road loss by 12 to UVM isn't terrible.

On UVM: They are good. They played poorly and still beat a middle of the pack conference team by 12, thats not bad. I'm still going to call them the top team in the league, but they are very beatable. There's not quite the same mystique or "wow factor" as years past, but they are a tough team that's going to make you play considerably better than they do to get the win. Kudos to their fans too, it looked like they had the place pretty full without essentially any students.

Can't wait for the rematch in albany in 3 weeks. Hopefully we can fill the seats as well as UVM did.

The result of this game wasn't far from what I expected, but how it turned out was somewhat surprising. Neither team played well, but the better team did win. What I take from this game is as follows:

On Albany: There is a very apparent problem with our 5-9 guys. If things don't change and we can't get at least 2-3 more players that will play with consistency to emerge, the league will take notice and make us pay dearly for it. I saw last night almost as a "warning", the snowball effect was there: no bench > foolish/stupid play by the starters > foul trouble > breakdown of the defense > and so on...With that said Albany was able to linger and play with a better team (albeit after we were down 10), so that's something to take away. Logan reminded us he still exists. A road loss by 12 to UVM isn't terrible.

On UVM: They are good. They played poorly and still beat a middle of the pack conference team by 12, thats not bad. I'm still going to call them the top team in the league, but they are very beatable. There's not quite the same mystique or "wow factor" as years past, but they are a tough team that's going to make you play considerably better than they do to get the win. Kudos to their fans too, it looked like they had the place pretty full without essentially any students.

Can't wait for the rematch in albany in 3 weeks. Hopefully we can fill the seats as well as UVM did.

attendance was 2260. about a 1000 seats short of a sellout.

attendance was 2260. about a 1000 seats short of a sellout.

It must have just been an illusion from that pic MsGDG posted and the crowd description from the radio. Still, it would be nice to get our attendance back up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived