UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Not a lot different from a story on UMass three weeks ago in the Globe, or much that anyone interested didn't already know. No reason Albany or SB should be mentioned in a story on schools moving up to FBS. Both are many years away from that step.

The NYT must be the only place that uses periods when writing about F.B. S., F.C.S., or even U.N.C.-Charlotte.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting turn of events in the Monmouth to the MAAC story. The NEC denies Monmouth entry in the football conference as an affiliate.

http://blogs.app.com/hawks

“When Monmouth University decided to accept an invitation to join the MAAC, they did so with full knowledge that the MAAC did not sponsor the sports of football, field hockey and bowling. Monmouth subsequently submitted an application to be an associate member in the NEC in each of those three sports. The NEC Council of Presidents evaluated the associate membership requests separately, and in doing so made their decisions relative to the long term stability and interests of the Conference. We look forward to continuing our partnership with Monmouth in the sport of field hockey, and wish Monmouth success in the sports of football and bowling as they seek new partnerships in those sports.”

I suspect they'll end up in the Big South as I have to believe they've already approached the CAA and were rebuked.

I don't really see the NEC's hard-nosed stance on this. Any way you look at it, the football league is better off with Monmouth than they are without them.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure how this could impact us, but I think it may in the long run...

Butler, Xavier and Creighton have agreed to join the Catholic 7 in the new Big East.

I could definitely foresee the CAA losing another team (George Mason) to the A10 and perhaps the Socon as well (Davidson).

That may open up a full membership in the CAA. Its certainly not as appealing as before, but either is the AEast with the addition of non-football UMass Lowell.

I agree that this could benefit us on the long run but I'm concerned about the exit fee. I want a path to FBS. I'm willing to wait 5 to 10 years but I want that path. The huge exit fee could trap us one step short.

In my opinion, if we're $1m from being able to go FBS, then we don't have enough money to go FBS. $1m is one guarantee game as a 1st year FBS team at an LSU or Alabama.

Guys I grew up 20 minutes from Hofstra so I am very weary about going to the CAA. Putting our football team there was perfect because it will allow us to take the next evolution for our program (sorry but the NEC was limiting with only 38 scholorships, we can all agree with that). I don't see the advantages of joining for all other sports.

Guys I grew up 20 minutes from Hofstra so I am very weary about going to the CAA. Putting our football team there was perfect because it will allow us to take the next evolution for our program (sorry but the NEC was limiting with only 38 scholorships, we can all agree with that). I don't see the advantages of joining for all other sports.

The only thing I want is ideally to be in an all-sports league with like-minded instituations that sponsor football. Mixing football and non-football schools creates competing interests that has held the America East back, IMO.

Schools with football have different economic issues to deal with and different priorities than schools without football.

The CAA gets one step closer to that, but still not entirely there since the CAA Football conference is a separate entity and the CAA all sports conference has football and non-football schools.

Ok, that's it. I'm officially against CAA for all sports. Let's just wait until the new Big East gets formed, raids a lot of the A-10 and then move up to the new A-10 in hoops and other sports. Stay in CAA for football until, if, when, we go to FBS.

Done.

Ok, that's it. I'm officially against CAA for all sports. Let's just wait until the new Big East gets formed, raids a lot of the A-10 and then move up to the new A-10 in hoops and other sports. Stay in CAA for football until, if, when, we go to FBS.

Done.

I wouldn't have any issue with that at all, except we'd again be in a conference without football.

But if there was a choice, I'd obviously rather see us in the A10/CAA Football then in the AEast/CAA Football

What are the chances of that happening though? Probably slim-to-none at this point.

Maybe this is our shot in? I sure hope so.

I thought the exit fee was higher but another poster said it was just $1M and that is just 1 guarantee payment against a school like 'Bama. Get your clock cleaned, take the check and upgrade again a few years later to fbs.