UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game Thread: Sacred Heart

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was an ugly game, we allowed SH to dictate the pace of the game and as a result they got hot. Our deffense wasn't as good as in our first two game, on numerous occasions our players were way out of position resulting in WIDE open shots. I had a feeling before this game that there was a very good chance we could come out flat in this game. They were due for a letdown after Bucknell and Delaware. No excuse but if it walks looks like a duck, sounds like a duck then it must be a duck. The team has nothing to be proud of tonight.

What defense?? Giving up 90 points is inexcusable!! Our offensive statistics were not that bad, but giving up 90 points????? Was Gifford ill or awol?? I could not get the WOFX broadcast---did anyone else have a problem?? Watched the Lady Danes--sorry but I like that name--over the net. They came back well in the second half after being down by 24.

Sacred Heart has streaming video of the game.

$7 for one month (I'll cancel after the game).

There is a link on the Sacred Heart sports page - click the launch video player button.

It does work (so far) - I am logged in looking at a live shot of the scoreboard.

17842[/snapback]

I'm glad I found out about this after the game, because it would have been a painful waste of $7. Listening to the radio broadcast was bad enough, especially the last quarter of the game. #@%$%&

Did anyone have the misfortune of making the road trip? It didn't even sound like much of a crowd..

S$

Well lets take this as a learning experience and move on. No use crying over this because its OOC and I know this will only make the team stronger and more determined never to let this happen again especially when confrence time comes around. To all have a good T-Day

1. Jamar didn't seem to be able to dribble penetrate - he tried to force it too much especially in the second half. He had a lot of turnovers.

2. We gave up a lot of points, but they were making all sorts of shots. It's not an excuse, but it was almost funny to watch.

3. We need to get something out of Covington - the stats aren't posted yet, but I don't think he scored or got more than one or two rebounds.

4. Glad to see brent have a break out game

5. Iati seemed to miss a lot of shots again

6. In the first half, even when we were down, there was ball movement and good open shots. In the second half, there were just a bunch of shots and aggressive moves to the basket - ball movement really stopped.

Focus on UConn

. . . Did anyone have the misfortune of making the road trip?  It didn't even sound like much of a crowd..

17853[/snapback]

Yep, just got back. Absolutely horrible evening. Thank goodness, my wife and I went down with friends. Actually, the friends suggested that we go together. I think my wife and I will still try to maintain the relationship after this bad evening. :angry:

Traffic to the game was horrible. Stop-and-go much of the way. Our dinner plans were thwarted by our late arrival at the arena. Nice new, fresh, bright place. Is this arena the place that people used to call the "Shoe (SHU) Box?" Very nice pep band.

The bad play started almost immediately. In the first half nobody could stop #22. He was dead-on from three-point land. Everybody else from SHU was also shooting very well. I would not be surprised to see them shoot in the 60% range for the game. Their percentage from behind the arc also had to be almost as high. Somebody from UAlbany always seemed to be in proper place to guard, but SHU's shooting was just uncanny. I will be very interested to see if they can keep it up the rest of their season; if so, they may take the NEC with little problem.

I was hoping that we would see the benefits of a major adjustment after halftime as we saw against Bucknell. But it was not to be. Every time we got close to only a 10-point deficit, SHU would get a clutch basket. Most of the time it was a 3-pointer, and often with only a second or two left on the 35-second clock. Jamar, who had 11 points at halftime, got only 2 points in the second half, I believe. Thank goodness, Brent Wilson came to play. He had something like 27-28 points.

Brown did not seem upset with his players, but then again I didn't have to go to the locker room. He may have sensed that SHU was going to have a very good night.

There were very few fans at the game. As it began, the members of the dance team and pep band seemed to outnumber all those in the stands. It was certainly different for our team to be playing in far fewer than 4,000 fans. Maybe it would have been better to have the stands packed with antagonistic opponent patrons than what we witnessed.

I hope that UA can bounce back soon from this loss. This team has a long way to go. I thought we would do well on defense. I don't know exactly what went wrong tonight. It will be very interesting to see how UA bounces back for UConn. Was the team merely looking ahead tonight to Sunday? I don't know.

The stats for tonight's game are up.

Three-point shooting was NOT the difference. Each team shot an identical 12 for 27. UAlbany outrebounded SHU 36-25.

SHU was better from the free throw line as they went 14 for 17 as opposed to our 13 for 21. The critical area for us occurred when SHU made 32 of the 59 shots they got off. We made only 23 of 51. Part of the reason we had such few shots was due to the turnover ratio. We committed 15 of them; whereas, SHU had only 5 errors.

The stats don't look so bad when you see them in front of you, but believe me it was very difficult as a spectator to watch this game.

Yes, it wasn't much fun to watch.  Gifford did not play at all.  I'm not sure why.  Way too many turnovers.  Some are expected, but some were really bad ones.

17866[/snapback]

Pre-game show said that Gifford was nursing the flu for the past 24 hours, and I guess Coach Brown wanted to take it easy on him.

Although it is early in the season, I think Connelly would make a good addition to the starting five, with Gifford being the next big-man substitute. Ross should be the first guard off the bench, followed by Knight, and then Iati. Of course, I have complete confidence that Coach Brown will have this team ready to compete every night.

[

There were very few fans at the game. As it began, the members of the dance team and pep band seemed to outnumber all those in the stands. It was certainly different for our team to be playing in far fewer than 4,000 fans. Maybe it would have been better to have the stands packed with antagonistic opponent patrons than what we witnessed.

17861[/snapback]

OldDog - I find it interesting that your take is similar to the TU's. I read the TU article before coming to the board this morning and I didn’t find the “lack of a crowd” argument as being creditable. I guess it was a factor?...I’m very surprised.

Haggyland – I tend to agree with comments regarding the Connelly, Gifford, Covington rotation.

As for the loss it sounds to me a lot like last years losses to Siena, and the two to UNH…small teams shooting well, forcing the style of play and taking us out of our game. They are all too similar to deflect all the blame off the coaching staff.

...and Jamar is going to lead the conference once again in turnovers :angry2:

Archived