UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game Thread: Sacred Heart

This could be a tough game. I think we are more talented but this is our first road game so it remains to be seen how the team responds on the road. It's real early but their RPI is 274 with a record of 1-3, the only win coming against Iona. It would be nice to start the season 3-0 and get some early momentum going. I'm also encouraged by the early home game attendance of 4000+

Blue Ribbon says....

BACKCOURT: B+

BENCH/DEPTH: B-

FRONTCOURT: C

INTANGIBLES: B-

Even though they lost their best player from last season, the Pioneers have a chance to be a solid team in the NEC again this season. Obviously, getting Henley back and worked into the lineup would be a huge boost toward that goal. Frye has turned into an elite player in the league, but he needs to back it up this winter with another solid effort. He combines with Hobson and Shubik to form one of the better backcourts in the league, and Granato makes it even better. But the key will be SHU's frontcourt, which needs all its returning players to step up and for Brooks to come back in January. The Pioneers are no longer the cellar dwellers in the league. If this team fails to make the tournament, it won't be from a lack of talent.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This could be a tough game.  I think we are more talented but this is our first road game so it remains to be seen how the team responds on the road. It's real early but their RPI is 274 with a record of 1-3, the only win coming against Iona.  It would be nice to start the season 3-0 and get some early momentum going.  I'm also encouraged by the early home game attendance of 4000+

BACKCOURT: B+

BENCH/DEPTH: B-

FRONTCOURT: C

INTANGIBLES: B-

Even though they lost their best player from last season, the Pioneers have a chance to be a solid team in the NEC again this season. Obviously, getting Henley back and worked into the lineup would be a huge boost toward that goal.

Frye has turned into an elite player in the league, but he needs to back it up this winter with another solid effort. He combines with Hobson and Shubik to form one of the better backcourts in the league, and Granato makes it even better.

But the key will be SHU's frontcourt, which needs all its returning players to step up and for Brooks to come back in January.

The Pioneers are no longer the cellar dwellers in the league. If this team fails to make the tournament, it won't be from a lack of talent.

17807[/snapback]

Thanks for the report on our opponent.

I agree this game will probably not be an easy contest. All anyone has to do is look back last year and see how poorly UAlbany did in that game. We had beaten Sacred Heart by 28 on the road the previous year, and last year we took them far too lightly at our place. This year we must be ready to play all 40 minutes and not take Sacred Heart lightly. I am sure Coach Brown has been reminding his team about the disappointment last year.

As far as RPI is concerned, at this point the numbers are a joke. Teams are all over the place, compared to where they should be. One team may have a decent rating from one source and be abysmal on another ranking. By mid-December those rankings should be much more valid.

The Pioneers are no longer the cellar dwellers in the league. If this team fails to make the tournament, it won't be from a lack of talent.

17807[/snapback]

Maybe not, but the NEC coaches still picked them 9th (of 11). All the more reason to hope the seniors can teach the rookies that anybody can be dangerous

No IMHO would expect the same starting lineup, Connelly and Gifford will come off the bench Covington will start. These rolls have worked so far why change it? Besides SH is a really small team they have a 7' named Potter but he is a sophmore and looks like a little bit like a stiff, he avg. 4 pts a game and has played only one game more then 20 minutes, he is also only 230. If you put the bigger body of Covington against Potter then you can wear him out and then they will be forced to go with a smaller line up FYI the next tallest player is 6'7 Brooks who I don't think has played a game this season. After that you have players around 6'6, needless to say we will have the hight advantage tomorrow. I would expect Gifford to have a break out game tomorrow.

No IMHO would expect the same starting lineup, Connelly and Gifford will come off the bench Covington will start.  These rolls have worked so far why change it?  Besides SH is a really small team they have a 7' named Potter but he is a sophmore and looks like a little bit like a stiff, he avg. 4 pts a game and has played only one game more then 20 minutes, he is also only 230.  If you put the bigger body of Covington against Potter then you can wear him out and then they will be forced to go with a smaller line up FYI the next tallest player is 6'7 Brooks who I don't think has played a game this season.  After that you have players around 6'6, needless to say we will have the hight advantage tomorrow.  I would expect Gifford  to have a break out game tomorrow.

17814[/snapback]

Great Analysis Bnj

I too expect Gifford to come out big.

I'm also excited to see if Siggers can continue his hot streak. We don't need him to put up 25+, we just need him to continue doing what he's doing, which is perfect.

If our guys play the way they're capable and don't look past this team, I don't see how we can lose this one.

Anyone expect to see Connelly break into the starting line-up tomorrow?

17813[/snapback]

The Siggers, Jamar, Brent, Lillis, Connelly unit looked sharp in the Delaware game, and it would not surprise me in the least if that becomes the starting line-up at some point. I would look for Ross and Gifford to be the first players off the bench, and for Covington, Iati, and Knight to become strong bench presences.

Of course, my viewpoint from the stands has no merit, but it will be interesting to see how the season develops.

The Siggers, Jamar, Brent, Lillis, Connelly unit looked sharp in the Delaware game, and it would not surprise me in the least if that becomes the starting line-up at some point.  I would look for Ross and Gifford to be the first players off the bench, and for Covington, Iati, and Knight to become strong bench presences.

Of course, my viewpoint from the stands has no merit, but it will be interesting to see how the season develops.

17820[/snapback]

With Gifford joining the starting five when conference play begins?

The Siggers, Jamar, Brent, Lillis, Connelly unit looked sharp in the Delaware game, and it would not surprise me in the least if that becomes the starting line-up at some point.  I would look for Ross and Gifford to be the first players off the bench, and for Covington, Iati, and Knight to become strong bench presences.

17820[/snapback]

With Gifford joining the starting five when conference play begins?

17822[/snapback]

I am not too worried about Gifford starting anytime soon. Obviously, the kid has some game. The thing is, the team is playing well (with enough room for improvement) with our current rotation.

Brown is a tough coach...and didnt exactly make it easy for Gifford by calling him our "most important recruit" since Jamar. Those are some lofty words, however words that echo the way Brown coaches the game: ALWAYS CHALLENGING THE PLAYERS.

Thing is, we dont have to rush Gifford yet....maybe even not until the middle of the year. The speed of the game is so much different for all the rookies...especially for a 6'11 guy. I think you will see Brown gradually work Gifford in more...but only as the kid's confidence builds...and the speed of the game begins to slow for him.

Covington...is the poor man's Lamont Middleton. Tough, quick, and very strong. Hopefully with some work with our big man coach...his game will open up offensively.

If Gifford progresses and if Covington picks it up on the offensive end, we would have a very scary (and I would venture to say UNMATCHED in the AE) 1-2 Center combination.

I think Gifford is still getting acclimatedto the game at this level. He has a lot of potential, but the pace is several levels faster than HS in Missouri where there was no shot clock and time spent in the half court was so much greater than now.

He'll come around soon enough. I think we can already see Fillien working on him with that bit of a sholder dip move that he picked up an offensive foul on against UD..very reminisant of Zo. He'll get it worked out.

Gotta keep up the superstition with another prediction. I think this will be a good test for our Danes as it's their first away game (and the home opener for the Pioneers) and coming on the heals of their disappointing loss to them last year...UAlbany 78 Sacred Heart 66

Sacred Heart has streaming video of the game.

$7 for one month (I'll cancel after the game).

There is a link on the Sacred Heart sports page - click the launch video player button.

It does work (so far) - I am logged in looking at a live shot of the scoreboard.

Archived