UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Brown to Interview at St Bonaventure

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what's the over-under on a timeframe for this board having the same basic thread but replacing the words "Will Brown" with "Scott Marr"?

Longer than you think. Distinctly different sports. Other than Hopkins, I can't see Marr going anywhere else. Marr can have Albany a Top 10 school consistantly. As long as he making what his peers make...no reason for him to leave. State Pension, easy recruiting (kid doesnt have to shell out much to attend UA on a partial), and a new stadium. IMHO, in the lax world, most jobs are going to be lateral but for about 9 schools (Hopkins, 'Cuse, Duke, Virginia, Princeton, Navy, Georgetown, Maryland, North Carolina). North Carolina has been so so for awhile...but I throw them in the $$$ category. Only other schools than those 9 would be Ohio State, Notre Dame and Penn State...simply for the money. I dont seen him moving to the midwest for those schools.

I truly believe that Hofstra and UMASS are becoming laterals compared to UA.

Chances of any of the golden 9 opening up...are slim.

Hopkins opens up...all bets are off.

I mentioned in a few of my previous posts that Dr. M would need to know of a formal offer from St. B. until he could effectively come up with a counter-offer. I think the TU article confirms my belief that Dr. M. needs to know the details of the offer from St. B until he can effectively make a good counter-offer. Interestingly, someone else on this forum (I don't recall who) mentioned that the other SUNY contracts could be a factor and noted the BU hiring this week. Sure enough, read below (and the article in full by clicking on the link above provided by boisydid). Here is a portion of that blog entry/T.U. article, written by Mark Singelais of the Times Union:

" . . . Published reports have said St. Bonaventure is willing to offer at least $250,000 to its next head coach. Asked if he could come close to matching that figure, McElroy replied he would need to see how such an offer is structured and whether it's largely based on incentives and perks.

McElroy also acknowledged the contract recently given to new Binghamton coach Kevin Broadus could come into play. Broadus, a Georgetown assistant who has never been a head coach, signed a five-year deal worth $205,000 annually.

“Clearly that changes the entire (salary) structure in the (America East) conference,” McElroy said. . . ."

I mentioned in a few of my previous posts that Dr. M would need to know of a formal offer from St. B. until he could effectively come up with a counter-offer. I think the TU article confirms my belief that Dr. M. needs to know the details of the offer from St. B until he can effectively make a good counter-offer. Interestingly, someone else on this forum (I don't recall who) mentioned that the other SUNY contracts could be a factor and noted the BU hiring this week. Sure enough, read below (and the article in full by clicking on the link above provided by boisydid). Here is a portion of that blog entry/T.U. article, written by Mark Singelais of the Times Union:

" . . . Published reports have said St. Bonaventure is willing to offer at least $250,000 to its next head coach. Asked if he could come close to matching that figure, McElroy replied he would need to see how such an offer is structured and whether it's largely based on incentives and perks.

McElroy also acknowledged the contract recently given to new Binghamton coach Kevin Broadus could come into play. Broadus, a Georgetown assistant who has never been a head coach, signed a five-year deal worth $205,000 annually.

“Clearly that changes the entire (salary) structure in the (America East) conference,” McElroy said. . . ."

Here is an article on the Bing coach's salary....

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...334/1003/SPORTS

I like the fact that the meeting between Brown and McElroy is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday, rather than the day after tomorrow, as McElroy had first stated. I think both people in the mix need to wrap up this deal without causing more harm to the program.

One ingredient of a possible deal to keep Brown here is the concept of a NYS pension. It is the closest thing on earth to a good financial deal for the rest of your life. I know that Brown is very savvy, but I wonder whether ANY 35-year old recognizes the financial stability that such a payout can mean at this stage of life.

One ingredient of a possible deal to keep Brown here is the concept of a NYS pension. It is the closest thing on earth to a good financial deal for the rest of your life. I know that Brown is very savvy, but I wonder whether ANY 35-year old recognizes the financial stability that such a payout can mean at this stage of life.

This is somewhat off-topic, but SUNY faculty/staff are not necessarily in the same retirement system as other NYS (agency) employees. SUNY staff can opt for either NYS retirement system (which is not portable to other non NYS employment) or TIAA/CREF (which is portable, and commonly selected by faculty). Coach Brown, like other SUNY employees, would in all likelihood have made his retirement system selection at the time of his original appoinment.

FWIW

This is somewhat off-topic, but SUNY faculty/staff are not necessarily in the same retirement system as other NYS (agency) employees. SUNY staff can opt for either NYS retirement system (which is not portable to other non NYS employment) or TIAA/CREF (which is portable, and commonly selected by faculty). Coach Brown, like other SUNY employees, would in all likelihood have made his retirement system selection at the time of his original appoinment.

FWIW

Thanks for the clarification. I really appreciate it.

Would you agree that each system can provide a high level of financial security? This question is not just rhetorical. Since I don't know much about the other option, I'm just curious.

Thanks again.

I like the fact that the meeting between Brown and McElroy is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday, rather than the day after tomorrow, as McElroy had first stated. I think both people in the mix need to wrap up this deal without causing more harm to the program.

I am 31 years of age, and I am very much aware of the importance of a retirement plan, as are many of my friends my age. I suppose we do not view it with the same sense of urgency as someone very close to retirement (most of us aren't even married yet), but we (or at least I) view it as crucially important and strive to make contributions towards that fiscal aspect of our lives nonetheless. I think it is reasonable to assume that Coach is at least aware of that factor in the "package" of his employment. I can't speculate, however, as to the weight that he gives that factor or aspect of his overall compensation. I would agree with you, though, that it's a big big consideration!

TIAA-CREF - is the largest private pension company for teaching professionals and staff in the US

IN FACT MOST NCAA COACHES retirement plans are handled through TIAA-CREF

This is because the plan is very portable - A couple years back there was an add duriung the NCAA Tournament with coaches like Dean Smith and a number of other well recognized coaches. The reason I mention this is because almost no D-1 coach gets a good pension from a State system - the reason?

- what we are going through now -

IN this profession most coaches move on due to better job /situation or asked to leave (BEETEN) before they have enough time to be vested for a DECENT service retirement. I am sure that Coach Brown with his aspirations of coaching at a BCS type institution would not have elected for the state system - Since in SUNY this is as good as it gets (the 4 University Centers)

INFO from Wikipedia:

"TIAA-CREF was originally created to provide retirement income for professors, and its core business remains retirement plan administration and annuity products. It is by far the largest manager of so-called employer-sponsored 403(B) tax-sheltered annuity plans, a defined contribution retirement plan for employees of 501©(3) educational, religious, and charitable organizations. The company also offers 401(k) and 457 plans, Keogh plans, and Supplemental Retirement Plans. Contributions from these plans are typically invested in the company's traditional or variable annuities or its line of mutual funds"

"TIAA-CREF is one of the largest financial services companies in the United States, with some $390 billion in assets under management as of September 30, 2006. Its approximately 15,000 institutional clients are drawn from the non-profit and educational sectors, and the company itself is operated on a not-for-profit basis. It is based in New York City and has major offices in Denver, Colorado and Charlotte, North Carolina and satellites around the US. Since 2002 its Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer has been Herbert M. Allison, Jr., formerly President and Chief Operating Officer of Merrill Lynch"

"Andrew Carnegie is credited with foreseeing the need to offer pensions for professors. In 1918 his Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, under the leadership of Henry S. Pritchett, created the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA). It was incorporated as a life insurance company and tasked with providing life insurance and pensions for college and university employees, and endowed with $1 million from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.

"Conservative investing allowed TIAA to survive the 1929 stock market crash and the Great Depression. Faced with high inflation, increasing life expectancies, and a dramatic expansion of the education sector with the G.I. Bill, TIAA established the College Retirement Equities Fund (CREF), a variable annuity allowing for investment in equities, in 1952."

BTW - my better half participates in this plan so I may be a little biased

I thankfully have a traditional service plan from our fair state that will pay me to stay home after 20 years of service. B)

now back to the speculation and prognostiction

I HOPE THIS ENDS TOMORROW :o

Archived