UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Brown to Interview at St Bonaventure

If Albany is serious about keeping coach Brown than it should do what Siena did with coach McCaffery last year. Make a contract offer that essentially is "BCS or bust". Committing a decent amount of money to your coach (like Siena did with Fran) pretty much ensures that only a BCS team (BEast, ACC, SEC, B10, P10, B12) could "poach" your coach away. No A10 or CAA or anyother mid-major team like a St. Bonnie. Siena did that to ward off a school like Penn coming after McCaffery.

Brown said he wants to win a national championship. Well that ain't happening at St. Bonnie, I'll tell you that. This is about paying market value.

Time for Albany to step up to the plate and give Brown a raise up to the 250K range which is about what Fran McCaffery makes.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Albany is serious about keep coach Brown than it should do what Siena did with coach McCaffery last year. Make a contract offer that essentially is "BCS or bust". Committing a decent amount of money to your coach (like Siena did with Fran) pretty much ensures that only a BCS team (BEast, ACC, SEC, B10, P10, B12) could "poach" your coach away. No A10 or CAA or anyother mid-major team like a St. Bonnie. Siena did that to ward off a school like Penn coming after McCaffery.

Brown said he wants to win a national championship. Well that ain't happening at St. Bonnie, I'll tell you that. This is about paying market value.

Time for Albany to step up to the plate and give Brown a raise up to the 250K range which is about what Fran McCaffery makes.

Exactly...WOW...I am agreeing with MTS.

This is why I am telling everyone to shhhhh...be quiet.

Both entities have each other by the balls. McElroy and Brown....AND NOT THE FANS...need to work it out.

There is a serious market value out there...and I believe the men will work it out.

NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT OTHER SPORTS...LIKE LAX....instead of what if's.

I know we all love Brown, but there does seem to be just an ever so slight tension between him and Dr. McElroy. I'd love to know what they think of each other when not in front of the microphone.

Let me give a piece of advice to all.

SHUT UP ALREADY. Seriously. As a senior member of this board...and a person who negotiated hundreds of millions of dollars in contracts I FEEL I CAN SAY IT.

You people dont know about relationships between the two.

You people dont know what McElroy can afford.

You people dont know if Will would stay for X dollars for X years.

Etc. Etc.

All your SPECULATION DOES IS:

Fuel McElroy not to negotiate

Fuel Brown to leave

Fuel recruits to fret

Fuel future recruits to move on

Fuel OTHER COACHES FROM WONDERING IF THERE IS A PROBLEM...and what we are willing to pay and why.

Fact is, 20-50k may keep Brown.

Fact is, it may not.

JUST SHUT UP ALREADY AND LET THESE PEOPLE WORK IT OUT.

Messages boards are public...THIS ISNT WATER COOLER CONVERSATION.

You people may be quickening what may be an eventual departure with your public responses.

You think McElroy, Brown, the players, future coaches, and recruits dont read this.

UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON BETWEEN WILL AND THE SCHOOL.....LET IT GO.

Isn't someone a little full of himself this morning.

This is what message boards are for. We talk about things. Form opinions. Make assumptions. Guess. Discuss. Etc.

If Dr. McElroy reads this message board, and sees a quote from some guy named "McFan" and says "oh, I better do something or Brown is gone", we have some real big problems.

So, all knowing Dane96 you can say to SHUT UP, but that doesn't make it so.

This is what message boards are for. We talk about things. Form opinions. Make assumptions. Guess. Discuss. Etc.

If Dr. McElroy reads this message board, and sees a quote from some guy named "McFan" and says "oh, I better do something or Brown is gone", we have some real big problems.

Your gonna get run down by the self appointed board police. Don't you know you can't talk about anything remotely controversial here! Like God forbid you voice a negative opinion or give your opinion on a Lonergan interview. If you haven't learned yet, you will soon. :rolleyes:

Who would have thought 4 years ago at 5-23 we would be discussing this topic??????

Let me add my two cents (like I usually do).

I feel Brown should be rewarded as one of the top coaches in the conference and I feel he should be paid in close proximity to our rival crosstown coach.

With that said it can't be a one way street........

In crease the base pay significantly

Extend the term of the agreement

Sweeten the incentives (especially the academic ones)

But also...

Add a buyout clause to the contract so Coach just can't leave easily

Add exceptions to the buyout clause for BCS teams or to schools in the top 10 RPI rated conferences

If it can't be worked out - so be it - that's the way the coaching business seems to work.....

There are few long term guarantees for coaches - it's a what have you done for me lately type of business.

(Just noticed this topic is less than 4 days old and has had over 1300 hits)

I know we all love Brown, but there does seem to be just an ever so slight tension between him and Dr. McElroy. I'd love to know what they think of each other when not in front of the microphone.

SHUT UP ALREADY. Seriously. As a senior member of this board...and a person who negotiated hundreds of millions of dollars in contracts I FEEL I CAN SAY IT.

Etc. Etc.

Fuel Brown to leave

Fuel recruits to fret

Fuel OTHER COACHES FROM WONDERING IF THERE IS A PROBLEM...and what we are willing to pay and why.

Fact is, it may not.

You people may be quickening what may be an eventual departure with your public responses.

You think McElroy, Brown, the players, future coaches, and recruits dont read this.

Check your PM McFan.

If Albany is serious about keep coach Brown than it should do what Siena did with coach McCaffery last year. Make a contract offer that essentially is "BCS or bust". Committing a decent amount of money to your coach (like Siena did with Fran) pretty much ensures that only a BCS team (BEast, ACC, SEC, B10, P10, B12) could "poach" your coach away. No A10 or CAA or anyother mid-major team like a St. Bonnie. Siena did that to ward off a school like Penn coming after McCaffery.

Both entities have each other by the balls. McElroy and Brown....AND NOT THE FANS...need to work it out.

There is a serious market value out there...and I believe the men will work it out.

College coaching is a funny profession. A single game, or even a single posession, can make or break a career. If Trimboli hits a shot to win the AE final two weeks ago, is Will still at the top of Bonas wish list? Maybe, but maybe not.

The current situation is an example of Negotiating 101... The application of pressure creates leverage to get what you want.

By interviewing for the Bonnie job, Will is applying pressure on the UA administration. If Will wants to move on, than he will. If he wants to stay, than McElroy can do what Siena did with McCaffrey last year. This is a routine practice with successful mid-major coaches. Will and his agent know this. McElroy and the UA admin. know this.

As fans, we don't like the uncertainty, and we want to keep a good thing going with the UA program. Either way, the best thing we can do is relax and be patient.

College coaching is a funny profession. A single game, or even a single posession, can make or break a career. If Trimboli hits a shot to win the AE final two weeks ago, is Will still at the top of Bonas wish list? Maybe, but maybe not.

The current situation is an example of Negotiating 101... The application of pressure creates leverage to get what you want.

By interviewing for the Bonnie job, Will is applying pressure on the UA administration. If Will wants to move on, than he will. If he wants to stay, than McElroy can do what Siena did with McCaffrey last year. This is a routine practice with successful mid-major coaches. Will and his agent know this. McElroy and the UA admin. know this.

As fans, we don't like the uncertainty, and we want to keep a good thing going with the UA program. Either way, the best thing we can do is relax and be patient.

I didn't realize he has an agent. Seriously? I didn't think coaches needed/wanted that sort of thing.

Your gonna get run down by the self appointed board police. Don't you know you can't talk about anything remotely controversial here! Like God forbid you voice a negative opinion or give your opinion on a Lonergan interview. If you haven't learned yet, you will soon. :rolleyes:

Check your PM as well.

Hey guys...major egg on my face and given the apt observation in this last post, I must correct misinformation that I received a couple of years ago...In a post yesterday, I had RIP next to former Great Dane stalwart John Dieckelman's name....I had heard that he got sick and passed several years ago...after I received a couple of emails about it, I contacted the AD's office and am thrilled to report that my information was dead wrong. JD is very much alive and well and working in the European basketball community. He remains in contact with UA which, for those of you who knew him back in the day, is not surprising. He is one of the most easy-going, friendly guys you'll ever meet. The gravy is that he's still out there doing what he loves, working in basketball. My sincere apologies go out to JD and his family. Guess I need to hire a fact checker before I disseminate any information.

And on the last post, let me say that I agree for the following reasons. These blogs are an extension of the media. Indeed, we have probably all seen situations in which the mainstream media relies on information (and innuendo) found on blogs of all kinds. We have a good thing going on at UA. Let's let the powers that be do their thing and, anxieties aside, I feel confident we'll come out smelling like roses.

Peace.

Etc. Etc.

Fuel Brown to leave

Fuel recruits to fret

Fact is, it may not.

I'm pretty sure players, coaches, or anyone involved in the athletic programs DO NOT come to this site and reads it...and if they do, all they are seeing is fan's opinions...

shoot us. :rolleyes:

Wrong buddy...Coach BROWN HAS COMMENTED, PUBLICALLY about message boards. You are nuts to think they dont come here. Hell, on the America East board we had a "visitor" who happened to be close to another AE coach.

Problem with message boards...people feel like they can say what they want. Sure you can...but it has an effect. Anonymity gives people britches they would otherwise not have.

I'm pretty sure players, coaches, or anyone involved in the athletic programs DO NOT come to this site and reads it...and if they do, all they are seeing is fan's opinions...

shoot us. :rolleyes:

Wrong buddy...Coach BROWN HAS COMMENTED, PUBLICALLY about message boards. You are nuts to think they dont come here. Hell, on the America East board we had a "visitor" who happened to be close to another AE coach.

Problem with message boards...people feel like they can say what they want. Sure you can...but it has an effect. Anonymity gives people britches they would otherwise not have.

I haven't seen anything in this discussion that critcizes Coach Brown in any way for pursuing this opportunity as he deems appropriate. If anything the opinions have been realistic as to the larger scheme of things for both Coach Brown and UA, as well as cautionary for what St. Bona might hold.

All of which I suspect Coach Brown, and Dr. McElroy, already know.

In the old, pre-Internet, days, a selected group of alums might have had the (momentary) attention of coaches, ADs, etc. Now there's a broader, if often anonymous, spectrum. The basic dynamics of the situation haven't changed.

Even when players, coaches and folks from Athletics admin check in on here, as has happened in the past and on the old Private Pound site (holla at your boy Brian Barnes). I doubt that anyone is making decisions about where they will work based on what is said here.

I think that it is clear that Coach Brown has the unwavering support of likeminded folks such as myself. I for one find it to be a great thing that other schools are looking to recruit our coaches. At the end of the day Coach Brown has made his mark on this program and if he does decide to pursue other opportunities I wish him nothing but the best and thank him for what he has done for the D1 UA MBB Program. I know that many of the old-timers here on the board were around for some really lean times that were not so long ago. With the programs success new fans are attracted to this site and they may not share my sediment.

I also know that I can say this based upon the fact that many people know exactly who I am and my user name provides little in the way of Anonymity. In fact I was called out with Columbus by someone who figured out who I was based on a story I was telling.

Would I be bummed if Coach Brown left? Absolutely! There is no question about that. Do I want another fellow Long Islander to do well having broken away from this g*d forsaken Island? Absolutely! This is the downside of being a Mid Major program. The BCS level schools are ALWAYS going to have more money, better incentives and better recruiting. The upside of coming from a Mid Major program is that for the most part we are not waiting with baited breath to see if some super-star freshman is going to enter the NBA draft. You take the good with the bad and life goes on.

So again I say, relax, breathe deep and let things unfold as they will.

Again, it was great seeing everyone that made the homage to Columbus and it was great to sit down and have a few instead of running for the car to drive 3 hours back to my crappy island!

Have a great spring!

Jon

Archived