UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Brown to Interview at St Bonaventure

Front page of TU has story from Singelais blog stating that St Bonaventure has been given permission to speak to Will Brown.

IMHO - he would be a fool not to at least interview. That said - I don't see this job as the type that will provide an opportunity to do more than he has accomplished here.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be intresting if Brown takes the job at SBU. SBU strikes me as a major rebuilding project similiar to the build us up as a D-1 program. However despite my own desire to see him return, taking this job may not be a bad idea. Since he wants to coach at the highest level and will most likely need to take at least another job at a school in a higher RPI confrence then the AE, the Bonnies job would probably be ideal to reaching this goal, provided he is given time and has success recruiting and coaching in the A-10. The situation here could also be a motivation, with our all time best player Jamar Wilson graduating, next year is looking as a rebuilding year. Brown's stock may take a hit by a rebuilding year.

If I was in his situation it would be a really hard call, do I go to a place that has been a mess the last couple of years and try to build up the program to reach the NCAA's as well as advance my career, or do I stay in Albany where I've had success, rebuild with the recruits I have and remain in an area that I feel a level of comfort. Should be intresting to see his decission.

St. Bonaventure is not a step up for Brown. Didn't Albany hammer the Bonnies this year? I agree he should interview there, it can't hurt. I think if he continues to win in the America East, he'll get the calls he really wants...from the big boys.

Front page of TU has story from Singelais blog stating that St Bonaventure has been given permission to speak to Will Brown.

IMHO - he would be a fool not to at least interview. That said - I don't see this job as the type that will provide an opportunity to do more than he has accomplished here.

I don't see any problem with Brown talking to St. B. It certainly increases his bargaining power at UA to restructure his contract if nothing else. Would the St. B. position be that much of a pay increase, a better opportunity (and location), and how far ahead is the A-10 from the AE? I know Xavier and UMASS and some other schools are pretty good, but I don't see that league as so far ahead of ours to the point that we can't catch up. Thoughts?

I can't imagine that the Bonnie's can offer substantially more money BUT if the money is that much more will Dr. McElroy counter?

The A10 is considerably better than the AE. It’s not even close. The A10 is right behind the BCS conferences., they send multiple teams to the NCAA every year and they usually win games once there. Lets be honest the Bonnies are a mess right now. Only way I can see Will even thinking about taking the job is if the Bonnies offer 350K + and guarantee it for 4 or 5 years. Will Brown will be a hot commodity over the next few weeks as other jobs open up. He could also wait for a better opportunity

Sooner or later its gonna happen...its up to him...he is too good a coach and too young to not look seriously at opportunities as they present themselves...we just have to sit back and see what happens...I don't think people should fear what would happen if we lose Will because its pretty much inevitable... D-1 coaching positions are, by and large a career progression thing and while U A is on the way up, we will, for the foreseeable future be in the lower echelons and we are therefore likely to lose coaches every few years...its just the way the system works...that said Will has done an outstanding job and I sure hope he stays..but if he chooses more financially lucrative pastures then I would thank him profusely for what he has done and I think that Dane fans should take solace in the following:

A. Will has established a winning tradition and by doing so he has made it much much easier for succesors to recruit talent to U-A

B. Dr. McElroy will be here and his commitment to the athletic program and the mens hoops team in particular are apparent...if Will leaves I have absoluetly no doubt that Dr M will do his level best to ensure a continuum of excellence for the program...

It will all be fine in the end...for all.

ah31 we are not screwed, this thing happens take it as it comes and think of it as a sign of our success remember every rose has its thorn.

In the event Brown leaves know that we have a great AD who will get a coach that will bring us to the next chapter of UA basketball.

LadyDP mentioned the interview to me on the way home tonight. Thought I'd open the board and see widespread panic, instead I found several well-reasoned theories about the interview - great to see. Thanks

We're screwed.

Who would we hire? The assistant Pat Fillen?

Tommy Amaker? :D ?

Seriously though, for just a moment [well, as a Michigan fan born there and raised in Ann Arbor, I would like to see Amaker as a candidate at a mid-major like us should the need arise; he seemed to recruit well, even for Michigan (had a great incoming class for 07-08)], professors and other employees in college environments interview at other schools all the time, and I assume this holds true for coaches. By way of example, my father, as a college professor, interviewed all the time at other schools, many of which were in the power athletic conferences that we so often talk about on this forum. Usually, though, the interviews were simply to see other campuses, go on a paid-for trip, and/or have a nice meal out and meet with other faculty in his discipline, and, most importantly, simply to hear what the offeror had to say. I don't blame Coach Brown or any other college basketball coach for doing the same. I suppose one could interview around for bargaining leverage at one's current job, though I never got that sense from my father, and I'm not sure Coach Brown would do that here. Most importantly, though, whether it be a coach or professor or police officer or firefighter or whoever, they have to put family first and do what is best for their family, and I am sure that Coach Brown (just as my father did) will do exactly that.

We're screwed.

YOUTH!!!

G-d...PEOPLE BREATHE!!!

Brown isnt going anywhere yet. He is interviewing. PAR FOR THE COURSE.

He likes Albany...has ties to Albany...and he will eventually go...but just because he is interviewing doesnt mean he is gone.

Believe me, when his time does end at Albany many of us will be reeling, some more than others for our own personal reasons beyond a hoop coach...and I fall into that group.

Until that day comes live by a mantra my buddy gave me before I left with a couple of grand, no direction and an open ticket to Europe: IT IS WHAT IT IS. Lose your passport...it happens. Get mugged...it happens. Fall in love and the girl leaves...it happens. Cant find a hostel to stay in, sleep in a train statin....it happens.

The man needs to find out what is out there, what his worth is, what we have to offer compared to others beyond financial means.

IT IS WHAT IT IS.

We're screwed.

YOUTH!!!

G-d...PEOPLE BREATHE!!!

Brown isnt going anywhere yet. He is interviewing. PAR FOR THE COURSE.

He likes Albany...has ties to Albany...and he will eventually go...but just because he is interviewing doesnt mean he is gone.

Believe me, when his time does end at Albany many of us will be reeling, some more than others.

Until that day comes live by a mantra my buddy gave me before I left with a couple of grand, no direction and an open ticket to Europe: IT IS WHAT IT IS. Lose your passport...it happens. Get mugged...it happens. Fall in love and the girl leaves...it happens. Cant find a hostel to stay in, sleep in a train statin....it happens.

IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Dane,

Someone raised the issue of Pat, I simply had a response to that. At first I got nervous then I said to my self.....F it, what ever happens happens. Eventually it will happen so no reason to worry about until we hear that he's leaving. All of this is just part of the game.

Archived