UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

A very good win last week. A much needed win last week. With the exception of a couple of plays the D was perfect. The score should probably of been 23-13. More importantly the O line lived up to expectations after a terrible week 1 outing and the special teams were much improved. I don't know if we were that great or Fordham's D was that bad. I know they were undersized but so was Colgate. Esposito looked good and we have a qb for the next 2 years.

Hofstra:

Similar in size to Colgate but a little bigger up front and more then likely a zillion times faster. They are a passing team it would seem but they do have a balanced attack on the ground. Their D is definatly the strength of this team. This D will be lightening fast, so screen passes, misdirection or gadgets will be needed to stay in this if we fail to move the ball on the ground. I believe we can run on this team! We are huge up front and will match up well physically and if we can sustain drives and occasionally score I really like our chances! If not our D will be gasping for air as they pass to set up the run for the 4th qtr.

This team is riding a high after beating Furman. Furman made a lot of mistakes in that game so if Hofstra and Furman played 10 times I think Furman wins 8 of the games. Hopefully they will be looking past us but we will see. If wwe can knock off Delaware then Hofstra can be slain as well. This is going to be a big test for our squad. Next week will be another animal altogether.

wondering what the turnout will be for this game. Classes are suspended for the week at 1 pm tomorrow for the Jewish New Year, and usually tons of students go home for the few days. I would think that the students who do stay on campus would go to the game, since not much else will be going on. I will be home and am kind of upset I can't make it, but will be listening online.

Game Notes are up. Hofstra's defense must be very fast, because our tackles outweigh their Defensive Ends by 100 pounds each, and Beigel and Omar are as big as their linebackers. Maybe we can pound them IF we get the ball to the line of scrimmage quick. Their DTs are bigger than any we've seen so far so they probably clog the middle by themselves.

wondering what the turnout will be for this game. Classes are suspended for the week at 1 pm tomorrow for the Jewish New Year, and usually tons of students go home for the few days. I would think that the students who do stay on campus would go to the game, since not much else will be going on. I will be home and am kind of upset I can't make it, but will be listening online.

It seems kind of defeatist that the FCS gods not only give us so few home dates, but they put one of them on a weekend when many of the students are not in-town which makes it harder to build attendance which would help the program get more home dates/attention towards the stadium. I know Hofstra is in the same boat (and their percentage of Jewish students are higher than UA), but couldn't the NCAA have avoided this? We have enough trouble as it is, why make our case even worse.

I have no ill will towards Judaism, but the point of having all of the Jewish holidays off is irksome when the amount using them for their intended purpose is low and that it can do much harm to academic, athletic, extracurricular, and logistical planning early in the school year. Again, no offense, but when on Rosh Hashanah the majority of Jewish students I know are closer to Miller Lite than Matozah, it seems a little defeatist to keep the status quo.

It seems kind of defeatist that the FCS gods not only give us so few home dates, but they put one of them on a weekend when many of the students are not in-town which makes it harder to build attendance which would help the program get more home dates/attention towards the stadium. I know Hofstra is in the same boat (and their percentage of Jewish students are higher than UA), but couldn't the NCAA have avoided this? We have enough trouble as it is, why make our case even worse.

I have no ill will towards Judaism, but the point of having all of the Jewish holidays off is irksome when the amount using them for their intended purpose is low and that it can do much harm to academic, athletic, extracurricular, and logistical planning early in the school year. Again, no offense, but when on Rosh Hashanah the majority of Jewish students I know are closer to Miller Lite than Matozah, it seems a little defeatist to keep the status quo.

You're an idiot. These are two of the holiest Jewish holidays. I wish you would just stop posting...

It is what it is, just because some of the students are observing a holiday does not mean we should have low attandence. Need I remind people that in football we are the only I-AA in town. Our competition is D-3 and RPI has a game at 1pm, and Union is out of town. I hope the AD is advertising this game to the community.

It's not the NCAA; the leagues and individual schools arrange the schedules. But it would be nice if we could play away at Sacred Heart or St. Francis (or 'Nova or Holy Cross) on these weekends and save our home games for the rest of the year.

If it's UA's arrangement, why would they use one of their few home dates on a weekend when a good chunk of the school is not in town? Seems kind of defeatist and shows that we might not even see football as a priority.

You're an idiot. These are two of the holiest Jewish holidays. I wish you would just stop posting...

If I am such an idiot, why was Kermit trying to end the tradition? And why should concessions be made for holy Jewish holidays, but many Christian/Catholic students have to curtail a proper Easter celebration because of class the next day? A good number of the Jewish students I've known are actually against having their highest holy days off because of the lack of continuity it gives on several fronts. Allowing those who want to celebrate to take off with penalty would suffice like many of the other SUNY schools.

It is what it is, just because some of the students are observing a holiday does not mean we should have low attandence. Need I remind people that in football we are the only I-AA in town. Our competition is D-3 and RPI has a game at 1pm, and Union is out of town. I hope the AD is advertising this game to the community.

In the time I have been in Albany, I rarely have seen any outside advertisement (minus TW-3) for the football games. As good of an AD as McElroy is, I think that even he feels some shame in the facility that we have and I've noticed compared to other area schools that we seem to have less of an outward advertising budget. I mean, St. Rose bought bus ads and $iena is starting a new campaign, why aren't we spending some money on billboards and buses and putting our name even more out there?

It's not the NCAA; the leagues and individual schools arrange the schedules. But it would be nice if we could play away at Sacred Heart or St. Francis (or 'Nova or Holy Cross) on these weekends and save our home games for the rest of the year.

If it's UA's arrangement, why would they use one of their few home dates on a weekend when a good chunk of the school is not in town? Seems kind of defeatist and shows that we might not even see football as a priority.

If I am such an idiot, why was Kermit trying to end the tradition? And why should concessions be made for holy Jewish holidays, but many Christian/Catholic students have to curtail a proper Easter celebration because of class the next day? A good number of the Jewish students I've known are actually against having their highest holy days off because of the lack of continuity it gives on several fronts. Allowing those who want to celebrate to take off with penalty would suffice like many of the other SUNY schools.

In the time I have been in Albany, I rarely have seen any outside advertisement (minus TW-3) for the football games. As good of an AD as McElroy is, I think that even he feels some shame in the facility that we have and I've noticed compared to other area schools that we seem to have less of an outward advertising budget. I mean, St. Rose bought bus ads and $iena is starting a new campaign, why aren't we spending some money on billboards and buses and putting our name even more out there?

Again...you are an idiot. As a person raised in both a Jewish and Catholic family, I can without a doubt say I understand both sides of the story.

I'm not sure how a thread about this weekend's football game devolved into an argument about school holidays but I don't think anyone is better off for it.

(Alert: Blatant attempt to change the subject) In this weeks polls Hofstra is ranked #19. I don't recall a higher ranked team every coming into University field. Duquense was ranked #24 or #25 when we played them in the bowl game a few years ago.

I'm not sure how a thread about this weekend's football game devolved into an argument about school holidays but I don't think anyone is better off for it.

Because UA should try their hardest to be on the road if Rosh Hashanah creates a long weekend (i.e. if it falls Wednesday-Friday or Monday-Wednesday) because the number of students on campus will be relatively low which will affect attendance at a time when we have few home dates and need to build attendance to get more home dates and build the case for a true stadium.

(Alert: Blatant attempt to change the subject) In this weeks polls Hofstra is ranked #19. I don't recall a higher ranked team every coming into University field. Duquense was ranked #24 or #25 when we played them in the bowl game a few years ago.

And this is a very good thing to hear. Hopefully we can beat them and get a few votes for the Top 25 next week.

Ok... Back to football

--------------------------------------------------

Is Hofstra the highest profile team to play in our "stadium"?

Hofstra is a solid FCS program. Any team that can beat Furman "The Harvard of the South" is no joke. AGS posters aren't giving us much of a chance to win. I'd like a win before Montana.

Side note, Montana needs to take the skirt off and go FBS. I think they've more than proven themselves.

Is Hofstra the highest profile team to play in our "stadium"?

Hofstra is a solid FCS program. Any team that can beat Furman "The Harvard of the South" is no joke. AGS posters aren't giving us much of a chance to win. I'd like a win before Montana.

Side note, Montana needs to take the skirt off and go FBS. I think they've more than proven themselves.

Highest ranked? I think so. Highest profile? that probably goes to Brown.

Montana's probably happy where they are, and in FBS they'd have to play in the WAC or Mountain West, which aside from Air Force, BYU, and Hawai'i aren't a MAJOR step up from who they play now.

Montana has to be happy. they get a lot the benefits of FBS (stadium, crowd, apparel, local support) and also the great benefit of the FCS - a chance every year to make the playoffs and win a national championship on the field. The only reason they would go FBS is for national name recognition of the university itself.

Archived