UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

just sent off a nice little heads up email to the TU sports staff with some friendly links to the above articles in case they needed some help with topics to write about.

can't wait to here the obligatory response...."our readership doesn't care about UAlbany sports, when it does we'll write more about it."

just sent off a nice little heads up email to the TU sports staff with some friendly links to the above articles in case they needed some help with topics to write about.

can't wait to here the obligatory response...."our readership doesn't care about UAlbany sports, when it does we'll write more about it."

hopefully Bob Ford will still be coaching when Bob Ford Stadium is built.

Is there concrete proof that the TU has said this? Or is this just an assumption given that they haven't woken up and seen that $iena isn't the lone dog in town? If it's the former, way to flip the bird to the biggest college in the area and a school that in an ideal setting would be a co-flagship of a large university system.

Why does it seem that everyone in the press either doesn't care or is out to get us? What did we do to deserve it? Maybe we should have gone D-I 20 years earlier to spite $iena... :unsure:

May I remind everyone who has an axe to grind with the Times Union about the excellent coverage we received barely 18 months ago on our first NCAA bid to the men's basketball tournament? For a whole week there were several articles every day on the team. When we achieve something special, then we receive special coverage from the paper.

Sometimes I think we might deserve more coverage, as well. But we have received far more coverage at the Division I level than when we beat somebody special on the Division III or II level. I look at several newspapers every day from places where I have lived, and I really cannot generally complain about the press the Times Union provides UAlbany. The factor that could help UA receive even more media coverage from local newspapers will occur when our teams gain more local fan support. That move might take more time.

May I remind everyone who has an axe to grind with the Times Union about the excellent coverage we received barely 18 months ago on our first NCAA bid to the men's basketball tournament? For a whole week there were several articles every day on the team. When we achieve something special, then we receive special coverage from the paper.

Sometimes I think we might deserve more coverage, as well. But we have received far more coverage at the Division I level than when we beat somebody special on the Division III or II level. I look at several newspapers every day from places where I have lived, and I really cannot generally complain about the press the Times Union provides UAlbany. The factor that could help UA receive even more media coverage from local newspapers will occur when our teams gain more local fan support. That move might take more time.

Plain and simple. Coverage of one sport is not good enough.

We have a Division I football team in Albany that plays the #2 team in the nation tomorrow and there are zero pre-game stories in the paper. Absolutely horrible coverage plain and simple.

Is there concrete proof that the TU has said this? Or is this just an assumption given that they haven't woken up and seen that $iena isn't the lone dog in town? If it's the former, way to flip the bird to the biggest college in the area and a school that in an ideal setting would be a co-flagship of a large university system.

Why does it seem that everyone in the press either doesn't care or is out to get us? What did we do to deserve it? Maybe we should have gone D-I 20 years earlier to spite $iena... :unsure:

I can't find the email, but I sent an email to the TU just about every year around this time. Last year's response was from the sports editor and that is what he told me. I'm paraphrasing because it was a year ago, but yes I was told that the readership was not interested enough in UA sports to provide in depth coverage.

Is there concrete proof that the TU has said this?

Yes, scrab, I found this by searching for 'coverage' filtered by 'danefan'

I sent an email to the managing editor of the paper as well as the executive editor. The email did not address the letter that was published but instead the utter lack of coverage of UA sports in general.

I questioned why the coverage for less than successful low end professional sports was superior to a successful DI NCAA program.

This is the response I got:

Thank you for the thoughtful email about your disappointment with our coverage of your alma mater's sports teams.

By coincidence, I just listened to a voice message from a caller praising our Olympic coverage as well as our coverage of hockey, in particular the River Rats. It underscores how you can never please everybody and one person's priorities and interests are not the same as the next person's.

Nonetheless, we try to serve the interests of all our readers, as best we can.

We have limited resources and we try and select sports stories that are of wide interest, yet we look for unusual and unique stories too that give diversity to our pages.

I wish we had two reporters to devote to UAlbany sports coverage, but that is just not a realistic expectation at this time, given our staff size. As you well know, UAlbany is a new Division One program and as it becomes more successful, we plan to be there.

I will share your very constructive comments with Bill Callen, the executive sports and I appreciate that you are a reader of the Times Union sports pages. END QUOTE

Maybe an NCAA tourney bid will get their attention.

Or maybe TWO NCAA tourney bids for basketball, plus lax and others, isn't enough for FCS football

We have a Division I football team in Albany that plays the #2 team in the nation tomorrow and there are zero pre-game stories in the paper. Absolutely horrible coverage plain and simple.

It's pretty sad that it's Friday and still no coverage on the Montana game. People in the capital region piss and moan about the lack of high level sports in the region, yet when there's finally something worth talking about you cant even count on the local newspaper to cover it.

Archived