UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Binghamton/UA Game Thread

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After looking at the stat sheet, a couple of things stand out: 1) Bingo dominated the offensive glass.

Mainly because you can't get an offensive rebound off a made shot - Bing had 20 OR from 37 misses, Albany had 8 from only 19 misses. Slightly higher percent for Bing, but not as bad as 20-8 looks. OTOH we had 22 defensive rebounds to 14 for Bing. Stats can be really deceiving.

Binghamton's major newspaper reports on the incident last night and the game generally:

Broadus shoves Albany coach after BU loss

Tempers flare in handshake line

JONATHAN COHEN / Binghamton University

Binghamton University's Reggie Fuller takes a shot over Albany's Brent Wilson during Wednesday night's game at the Events Center. Albany won, 74-62.

By Brian Moritz

Press & Sun-Bulletin

VESTAL -- Things didn't get really interesting in the Binghamton University-University at Albany men's basketball game until after the final buzzer.

BU coach Kevin Broadus pushed Albany assistant coach Chad O'Donnell in the post-game handshake line following the Great Danes' 74-62 victory in an America East Conference game at the Events Center. The push came while Broadus and Albany coach Will Brown shook hands and had a heated exchange following the game.

Broadus had voiced anger this week about Brown's comments following BU's victory at Albany last month.

"(O'Donnell) got up in my face, and I said 'Back up,' " Broadus said. "I said 'No no, don't touch me.' I just said 'Back up off me.' And that was it. Simple as that.

"They beat us," Broadus continued. "There's no war between me and Will Brown. This is Binghamton-Albany, and Albany won the game tonight. Simple as that."

The loss ends the Bearcats' (13-15, 8-7) three-game winning streak and drops them, for a day at least, into sixth place in the conference with one game to play. Albany (14-15, 9-6) is alone in third place, a half-game behind second-place Hartford.

The issue between Brown and Broadus are comments the Albany coach made following the Bearcats' 71-57 victory in Albany last month. Broadus thought several statements made by Brown were disrespectful to BU's program and to several players. Brown said that former BU coach Al Walker had 'left the cupboard full' and also made what Broadus perceived as negative comments about Mike Gordon and Reggie Fuller.

The two head coaches shook hands twice before the game -- once right before the opening tip, once right before the national anthem.

After the final buzzer, the two met in front of the scorers table at center court. They shook hands, and Broadus spoke to Brown for several seconds. Brown appeared to be trying to move on through the line, and Broadus pointed at Brown and kept speaking.

"I just said 'Please don't talk about my players and my program in the media,' " Broadus said. "That's all that was said. I just wanted to make sure that he understood that I'm going to protect my guys. I'm not going to let guys take shots at my guys."

O'Donnell, who is in his fourth season on Brown's staff, got in between the two coaches -- which is when Broadus pushed him onto the court. There was some yelling between the two teams, but they were quickly separated. Both teams exited the court to their locker rooms without incident.

Broadus had a quick on-court conversation with BU athletic director Joel Thirer and America East commissioner Patrick Nero, who was in attendance.

"It's over with," Broadus said. "They won the game. They were the better team tonight. I make no bones about it. They beat us in every category."

Brown, for his part, wouldn't directly address the post-game incident.

"College football and college basketball gets heated, especially in games between two schools that are perceived to be rivals," Brown said. "You hope it's a healthy rivalry. It's about the kids. It's not about either coach, either staff, it's about the 26 scholarship players out there making plays. It's not about Will Brown or Kevin Broadus or anybody else."

In terms of the actual game, the Bearcats had no answers for Albany's tenacious defense. The Great Danes used many different defensive looks -- primarily a 2-3 zone -- to confuse the Bearcats.

"We wanted to keep them off balance," Brown said. "We didn't want them to beat us with back-door cuts. We didn't want Mike Gordon to go off on us like he did the last time. We wanted to keep them off balance and force them to adjust to what we're doing."

BU shot just 39.3 percent from the field, including a paltry 8-for-29 in the first half. The Bearcats were just 5-for-18 on 3-pointers, missing all seven they took in the first half.

"I think we were passive," said Gordon, who hit a school record eight 3-pointers last month at Albany but was 1-for-5 from beyond the arc on Wednesday. "We settled for the jump shot a little too much and weren't penetrating and kicking (out) or penetrating and getting the ball on the rim. They slowed our aggressiveness down."

Albany took control of the game at the end of the first half, scoring the final 10 points to take a 31-18 halftime lead. Albany senior Jon Iati, who had a game-high 18 points, kick-started the run with back-to-back 3-pointers.

The Bearcats got no closer than six points in the second half, and Albany led by as many as 20 points. Brian Lillis had 17 points for Albany. Lazar Trifunovic and Reggie Fuller both had 10 points for BU.

"We just didn't play well tonight," said Gordon, who had 11 points and eight rebounds in his final regular-season home game. "They came out and played hard. They wanted it."

My thoughts on the post-game incident are as follows.

According to Coach Broadus, as per the article quoted above, he stated to Coach Brown after the game:

"I just said 'Please don't talk about my players and my program in the media,' " Broadus said. "That's all that was said. I just wanted to make sure that he understood that I'm going to protect my guys. I'm not going to let guys take shots at my guys."

First of all, most will agree that the "shove" by Coach Broadus was wrong. In fact, he committed battery ("The application of force to another, resulting in harmful or offensive contact."); to wit, "simple battery" ("A criminal battery not accompanied by aggravating circumstances and not resulting in serious bodily harm."), as that term is used at common law. Black's Law Dictionary 146 (7th ed. 1999).

Moving on to the statement he made, however, is where I also have issues with Coach Broadus. I do not take issue with what Coach Broadus said. I respect his right to express himself, and I will assume arguendo that he genuinely misunderstood Coach Brown's remarks after the January game. Having said this, however, I offer the following issues that I take issue with regarding the timing of Coach Broadus's remarks last night:

1. First, Coach Broadus had well over a month to say what he said to Coach Brown last night, and it could have been said by e-mail, phone, or otherwise. If Coach Broadus was so upset, as he appears to be given the public, insulting comments he directed at Brown this week, he should have said something to Coach Brown a long time ago (back in January), and that should have been by phone or otherwise.

2. Second, Coach Brown reportedly called Coach Broadus, and Coach Broadus did not return that call.

3. Third, if Coach Broadus thought that his thoughts and comments last night were best left for being said in person, I can understand that limited argument; however, there were reportedly two handshakes between the men prior to the game, and Coach Broadus could have said what he felt he needed to say at those moments. When Coach Broadus fails to mention anything prior to the game given ample opportunity, electing to say something only during post-game handshakes following a loss, I take issue with Coach Broadus and seriously question the motives behind his post-game statement.

Why is it, then, that Coach Broadus elected to make his statement to Coach Brown immediately after the loss and during the post-game handshakes? In my view, that is an inappropriate time to say what he said, especially given my reasons 1-3 set forth above.

this team is a thug team and that is their game!

look at who they are recruiting as their prize for next year.

Tiki Mayben....enough said. They only care about W's and not the quality or character in the program.

I'm not against giving kids a second chance but having said that. His recruiting tactics could blow up with spectacular results.

this team is a thug team and that is their game!

look at who they are recruiting as their prize for next year.

Tiki Mayben....enough said. They only care about W's and not the quality or character in the program.

That speaks for itself......Once again ---Broadus = Hoodlum Thug.

Regarding that picture of the Binghamton staff posted above (it's them, right?), is the guy in the middle Broadus? If so, what's up with his pants? Is it me or do they not match his jacket at all???? Very odd attire, at least to me ... lol!

Yes, that is their coaching staff and YES his pants don't even come close to matching his jacket. I thought it was funny so I posted it. The two guys on the right really look like thugs. I know that is rude to say because they are probably nice guys but......

Here is the picture on their site:

http://www.bubearcats.com/sports/mbask/coaches.html

Archived