UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany @ Vermont

I believe the Alumni Association is taking a bus of our fans out to the Vermont game on Sunday. I'll be attending as well (though not via the bus trip) but will be spending the entire weekend in Burlington. With the exception of the America East Championship game and bus tour many of us went on a few years ago, I have never been to the city of Burlington, so:

1. Can anyone suggest a hotel for me (to the extent one stands out --- otherwise I'll just pick one off priceline.com)? The Marriott downtown looked like the nicest in town, especially with its view of the lake, but at $169/night, they can take that and shove it to the Friday night A.E. Tournament play-in game.

2. Any sights, shops, or attractions anyone can suggest? I wrote the Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce out there, and they sent me some materials including a magazine called "Experience Burlington, Vermont." So I get the usual array of shops and crap listed in that publication. My g/f likes antique shops and craft stores and boring places like that, so if anyone knows of those of stores like that, that will keep her busy while I can pursue #3 and #4 (see below).

3. I like food. Are there any Burlington restaurants that people on here have had success at/with? I thought perhaps the New England Culinary Institute (Vermont's Culinary Resort, www.VTCulinaryResort.com) might be a neat place to try out -- anyone have any experience with this place?

4. I like sports. I also like food. So I really like places with food and sports. Suggested sports bars in or near Burlington? This will be important because I'll have to catch the second half/fourth quarter of the Giants game immediately following our Danes victory out in Vermont.

5. Skiing is fun. Of the 3-4 slopes relatively close to Burlington, would any poster on here suggest a particular ski resort to check out (I like Whiteface, Gore, and Windham in NYS).

(If there are any good responses here, perhaps those messages could also be posted or moved to the "Road Trip Reports" Thread)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so I'm finally freeing myself of my dirty secret. I went to UVM for 3 years before finishing at UA, and lived in Burlingotn for 4 years total. Phewww. Anyway, I can give you some details on Burlington.

1. Never stayed in a hotel there so no advice, although if your making the trip, you might as well stay downtown if you can.

2. Church Street marketplace is a nice little area, especially if your dragging along the g-friend,wife, kids etc.. Teddy bear factory, Magic Hat brewery (one of my faves). general downtown area is nice, though you have to remember it's a college town. I absolutley loved it when I lived there but since i've been back it seems so small to me. Anyway, if you have anything you like to do in paticular, pm me and I'll try to clue you in.

3. Food. Lots of neat spots. Don't miss the gravy fries at Nectars. Great late night eats. breakfast at Penny Clues or dinner at VT brew pub, Boves, Trattoria delias or preety much anywhere around church st is nice.

4. Sports Bars. I think Akes place on Church st is your best bet

5. Alway liked Smuggler Notch myself.

Good luck and enjoy the trip. Go Danes!

On number 4, you have your times off. The Giants play at 1. UA at 4.

I can't really suggest too much on hotels. I have stayed near the campus before. I think at University Inn now Comfort inn because it was convenient and half or less of the downtown Marriott. Nothing special and about 2 miles from downtown. There a few hotels right there. A Holiday inn and something else.

The downtown had a bunch of pubs including a brew pub. I can't tell you specifics. It was a while since I stayed in Burlington.

I believe the Alumni Association is taking a bus of our fans out to the Vermont game on Sunday. I'll be attending as well (though not via the bus trip) but will be spending the entire weekend in Burlington. With the exception of the America East Championship game and bus tour many of us went on a few years ago, I have never been to the city of Burlington, so:

1. Can anyone suggest a hotel for me (to the extent one stands out --- otherwise I'll just pick one off priceline.com)? The Marriott downtown looked like the nicest in town, especially with its view of the lake, but at $169/night, they can take that and shove it to the Friday night A.E. Tournament play-in game.

2. Any sights, shops, or attractions anyone can suggest? I wrote the Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce out there, and they sent me some materials including a magazine called "Experience Burlington, Vermont." So I get the usual array of shops and crap listed in that publication. My g/f likes antique shops and craft stores and boring places like that, so if anyone knows of those of stores like that, that will keep her busy while I can pursue #3 and #4 (see below).

3. I like food. Are there any Burlington restaurants that people on here have had success at/with? I thought perhaps the New England Culinary Institute (Vermont's Culinary Resort, www.VTCulinaryResort.com) might be a neat place to try out -- anyone have any experience with this place?

4. I like sports. I also like food. So I really like places with food and sports. Suggested sports bars in or near Burlington? This will be important because I'll have to catch the second half/fourth quarter of the Giants game immediately following our Danes victory out in Vermont.

5. Skiing is fun. Of the 3-4 slopes relatively close to Burlington, would any poster on here suggest a particular ski resort to check out (I like Whiteface, Gore, and Windham in NYS).

(If there are any good responses here, perhaps those messages could also be posted or moved to the "Road Trip Reports" Thread)

I started a similar post on the America East Board as I figured the UVM contingent would know a little more about the area. Here is the link to that thread with a bunch of usefull info.

Fellow NYR's and my families are staying at the Days Inn in Burlington (busy, but still with rooms avail). We chose that place due to the Indoor Pool that the kids will enjoy

http://www.basketballforum.com/america-eas...burlington.html

I hope it helps... Good luck.

On number 4, you have your times off. The Giants play at 1. UA at 4.

I can't really suggest too much on hotels. I have stayed near the campus before. I think at University Inn now Comfort inn because it was convenient and half or less of the downtown Marriott. Nothing special and about 2 miles from downtown. There a few hotels right there. A Holiday inn and something else.

The downtown had a bunch of pubs including a brew pub. I can't tell you specifics. It was a while since I stayed in Burlington.

Thanks for all the great info fellow Danes! Very much appreciated! I'm looking forward to the trip.

That's good to know about the time of the Vermont game. I think the Vermont game time must have been changed, or it was misprinted in those little UAlbany schedules that one can pick up near the door of our home games. I carry a UAlbany schedule in my wallet, and it says 1pm for the UVM game. (see picture attached)

The UVM basketball page confirms, however, that 4pm is indeed the game time!

uaschedulevm5.jpg

w3300.png

Thanks for all the great info fellow Danes! Very much appreciated! I'm looking forward to the trip.

That's good to know about the time of the Vermont game. I think the Vermont game time must have been changed, or it was misprinted in those little UAlbany schedules that one can pick up near the door of our home games. I carry a UAlbany schedule in my wallet, and it says 1pm for the UVM game. (see picture attached)

The UVM basketball page confirms, however, that 4pm is indeed the game time!

You are right the game was moved. I had forgotten. The game is on TV. Listed at 630 or 668 on Directv

The bus is now leaving at 11:30.

For the skiing, Stowe has the more challenging terrain of the two. Smugglers is known as a great family mountain.

Perfect! I'll probably check out Smugglers (g/f hasn't skiied before!).

Thanks to all who responded --- very much appreciated, and the link to the thread on the America East forum was very helpful as well!

I'm glad to see there will be other Albany fans there this weekend including the bus trip. Hopefully we can make up a vocal following on the road. We're making a weekend out of it us well.

We've been partial to Smokejacks on Church St. but have found they've gone out of buisness. The AE has some good road trip destinations and Burlington is one of our favorites. Skiing and snowshoeing on Saturday, game on Sunday - can't go wrong.

About to take off for the republic of Vermont. LadyDP is intrigued by the idea of the ferry so we'll be taking it across on the way up. It also will give us less time on VT roads to run into Car Ramrod (think Supertroopers) even though their shennanigans are cheeky and fun.

I also thought I'd pass along a link on the UVM site to a webcast - http://www.b2livetv.com/partner_members.as...tball%20Men%27s

Not sure of the cost, I didn't see anything on the site.

Archived