UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA @ UNC

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a point in the second half where the UNC starters just went off and were dunking on us left and right. Other than those few minutes I thought the team played alright against one of the best teams in the country. We still throw the ball away too much but I liked how hard the team played. Just seemed like a more focused effort than what I saw from the stands at Iona. There was some good defense, blocks, steals and some of the younger players showed some signs.

Yes, UNC is faster, bigger and a much more athletic team but we did some good things. Ambrose's inconsistency is something we need to be concerned with though. He will either be on fire or be a mess and throw the ball away, lose his dribble, have 4 fouls and score 4 points. I really hope he can become consistent during conference time and Harris stays hot. Speaking of Harris, I liked seeing him down low tonight. He made some very nice post moves but still was out on the perimeter for the 3.

I thought Allen and Metcalf played well. Metcalf had 8 boards with 4 of them being offensive. Impressive against a big lineup like UNCs.

They did some more inside out work on the offensive end and it seemed to get more open looks from 3 and mid-range. Why not try more of that? It seems like we are always passing around the perimeter. Dump it down to Metcalf/Harris/Urli/McRae more often.

OK, I rambled.....

Is it time for Black and Metcalf to be inserted permanently into the starting lineup? Both are starting to play better then Giff and MJ.

My two cents, absolutely.

I cant' tell you defensively on Metcalf, but I see a lot more out of him on the offensive end and rebounding then anybody else we can put on the floor.

How about Billy Allens night. 16 points on 6-8 shooting, mixed in 3 RB's too.

Mike Black seems to have some real potential. His speed is fun to watch. I'm sure he'll continue to make some mistakes, but not intimidated at all tonight. I mean 10pts, 5 assist, and 3 steals in 24 minutes is nice.

Will Harris great game. Tonight at times he looked like an ACC player.

Also liked some of what I saw from Aronhalt.

One of the more encouraging games as we head towards conference play.

Last point. Coach has been complaining about taking too many threes. I would say it's not that we are/were taking too many threes, it's that we were missing too many threes.

Man, 50 bucks for seats in row 'U' in the upper deck.

You know, after a slow start we played OK, down 10 when UNC hit three threes in about 40 seconds. Then played with them OK into the second half, still only down about 23 and all of a sudden it's 38. Then we go on a 23-2 run in the last eight minutes to finish only down 17.

No, we weren't ever really in it, and still some of the same mistakes - not moving toward the pass, and not following your shot (do they think if you follow your 3-pointer you're showing you don't have 100% confidence in your shot?) but overall it wasn't the worst performance.

The game was never in doubt but there were some good thing to build on going into the Yale game....I would characterize it far from the worst performance....Kansas last year was terrible....in that one we got our doors blown off, I never got the same kind of feeling in this one even when the lead ballooned to 30+. In the Kansas game there was this kind of despair like get us OUT OF HERE.

Nice little UA crowd tonight at the game.. even had a mini U-A chant going for a minute.

One random observation from tonight's games.... during time outs the coaching staff brought the chairs out on the court and huddled everyone around them. Something new I haven't seen from the coaching staff yet. Seemed to work and focus the guys, but then again, I was in the nosebleeds so that was my observation from that far away. :)

I didnt get to see the game because I was fast asleep in a sleepy German town. Was Billy that good? Was Mike that impressive? Did Ambrose continue his la la land funk?

More importantly for those that went...what was the Dean Dome like atmosphere-wise?

Danke!

I didnt get to see the game because I was fast asleep in a sleepy German town. Was Billy that good? Was Mike that impressive? Did Ambrose continue his la la land funk?

More importantly for those that went...what was the Dean Dome like atmosphere-wise?

Danke!

Billy showed some real range. Now, it was primarily w/ the game over but he looked good shooting it and let's face it UNC on 50% will be tougher than most AE teams at 100%. He also didn't look like the "dear in headlights" that he did against SU.

To me Mike Black was very impressive most of the time he was in there. Wasn't as fazed by the pressure as the rest of the squad (see D. Tartt) and actually looked to be on equal footing quickness wise. A couple of nice moves to the basket. Finished 2, fouled on another, and some assist on others. As a freshman he'll make some mistakes, but I like aggressive mistakes.

Will Harris had a great second half, but was absent in the first half.

Tim was unimpressive and seemed overwhelmed by UNC's length.

D. Tartt really struggled and had some odd stats in I think 14 minutes (5TO's, 4 assist, and 3 steals). On top of the 5 TO's I think coach bailed him out with to timeouts when he was stuck. Gotta say he was active. He did not react quickly enough to the long double teams. Understanding it isn't easy, he just got stuck too many times.

I continue to like Blake Metcalf too. Maybe someone that understands (or appreciates) defense more than I do could explain how he is defensively. Offensively he is just better than our other options.

Did anyone see that scoop/layup Harris did in the 2nd half? I haven't seen a play out of him like that the entire time he's been here.

Overall, I agree with this post in terms of my assessment of the game:

There was a point in the second half where the UNC starters just went off and were dunking on us left and right. Other than those few minutes I thought the team played alright against one of the best teams in the country. We still throw the ball away too much but I liked how hard the team played. Just seemed like a more focused effort than what I saw from the stands at Iona. There was some good defense, blocks, steals and some of the younger players showed some signs.

Yes, UNC is faster, bigger and a much more athletic team but we did some good things. Ambrose's inconsistency is something we need to be concerned with though. He will either be on fire or be a mess and throw the ball away, lose his dribble, have 4 fouls and score 4 points. I really hope he can become consistent during conference time and Harris stays hot. Speaking of Harris, I liked seeing him down low tonight. He made some very nice post moves but still was out on the perimeter for the 3.

I thought Allen and Metcalf played well. Metcalf had 8 boards with 4 of them being offensive. Impressive against a big lineup like UNCs.

They did some more inside out work on the offensive end and it seemed to get more open looks from 3 and mid-range. Why not try more of that? It seems like we are always passing around the perimeter. Dump it down to Metcalf/Harris/Urli/McRae more often.

OK, I rambled.....

Billy showed some real range. Now, it was primarily w/ the game over but he looked good shooting it and let's face it UNC on 50% will be tougher than most AE teams at 100%. He also didn't look like the "dear in headlights" that he did against SU.

To me Mike Black was very impressive most of the time he was in there. Wasn't as fazed by the pressure as the rest of the squad (see D. Tartt) and actually looked to be on equal footing quickness wise. A couple of nice moves to the basket. Finished 2, fouled on another, and some assist on others. As a freshman he'll make some mistakes, but I like aggressive mistakes.

Will Harris had a great second half, but was absent in the first half.

Tim was unimpressive and seemed overwhelmed by UNC's length.

D. Tartt really struggled and had some odd stats in I think 14 minutes (5TO's, 4 assist, and 3 steals). On top of the 5 TO's I think coach bailed him out with to timeouts when he was stuck. Gotta say he was active. He did not react quickly enough to the long double teams. Understanding it isn't easy, he just got stuck too many times.

I continue to like Blake Metcalf too. Maybe someone that understands (or appreciates) defense more than I do could explain how he is defensively. Offensively he is just better than our other options.

As well as Black being a goog player. Dude can ball. That's fo sho.

Archived