UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Realistic Expectations

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"Twice already this preseason Brown said the worst thing that happened to the program was coming so close to UConn in that epic 2006 NCAA Tournament opener. He admits he became consumed with stockpiling talent regardless of fit, thinking that's all that was missing from taking the next step."

I like the underlying gist of this, but it bugs me to no end how this is worded. the BEST thing that happened to UA was the UConn game- I've never been happier watching a game than I was for the first 30 minutes of that game. It was the worst thing for Will Brown's career - the lessons he took out of it have his neck on the line. The assumption that "the program" and Will's career are synonymous annoys me.

my stab at the rotation (in approx minutes estimate):

Black /Logan / Moore / Ambrose/ Devlin/ Metcalf / Puk / Watts (when healthy)/..... and then spot min for Lindfors.

I know Will is not high on Jake, but he seems lower on Hatcher. I do see anyway, at least to start the year, that Metcalf, Devlin and Puk can cover 80 minutes. And that isn't considering fouls, and all of these guys are raw and a step slow so that's a real issue. Metcalf is a big boy and even with extra condition, I'm doubtful he can be a factor more than 20/5 minutes a game. It seems Lindfors will have to some time out of necessity/ if he gets it together he likely could be our best post defender.

Allen has proven that he's not much of a pinch hitter- seems like he'll either have to earn some solid minutes in the rotation where he can get comfortable and get his shot going, or else he's going to drop out of the rotation.

And it's never a good sign if your last name is Iati and your coach is talking defense, defense, defense. If Watts can handle the ball well enough that he and a 2 guard can get the past half court and into the offense, I hope we go with that line up. Tartt and Hatcher seem like the true odd men out to start the season.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Twice already this preseason Brown said the worst thing that happened to the program was coming so close to UConn in that epic 2006 NCAA Tournament opener. He admits he became consumed with stockpiling talent regardless of fit, thinking that's all that was missing from taking the next step."

I like the underlying gist of this, but it bugs me to no end how this is worded. the BEST thing that happened to UA was the UConn game- I've never been happier watching a game than I was for the first 30 minutes of that game. It was the worst thing for Will Brown's career - the lessons he took out of it have his neck on the line. The assumption that "the program" and Will's career are synonymous annoys me.

my stab at the rotation (in approx minutes estimate):

Black /Logan / Moore / Ambrose/ Devlin/ Metcalf / Puk / Watts (when healthy)/..... and then spot min for Lindfors.

I know Will is not high on Jake, but he seems lower on Hatcher. I do see anyway, at least to start the year, that Metcalf, Devlin and Puk can cover 80 minutes. And that isn't considering fouls, and all of these guys are raw and a step slow so that's a real issue. Metcalf is a big boy and even with extra condition, I'm doubtful he can be a factor more than 20/5 minutes a game. It seems Lindfors will have to some time out of necessity/ if he gets it together he likely could be our best post defender.

Allen has proven that he's not much of a pinch hitter- seems like he'll either have to earn some solid minutes in the rotation where he can get comfortable and get his shot going, or else he's going to drop out of the rotation.

And it's never a good sign if your last name is Iati and your coach is talking defense, defense, defense. If Watts can handle the ball well enough that he and a 2 guard can get the past half court and into the offense, I hope we go with that line up. Tartt and Hatcher seem like the true odd men out to start the season.

"the BEST thing that happened to UA was the UConn game- I've never been happier watching a game than I was for the first 30 minutes of that game. It was the worst thing for Will Brown's career - the lessons he took out of it have his neck on the line. The assumption that "the program" and Will's career are synonymous annoys me."

-you're sport on. great analysis as usual doc.

I like the underlying gist of this, but it bugs me to no end how this is worded. the BEST thing that happened to UA was the UConn game- I've never been happier watching a game than I was for the first 30 minutes of that game.

Yes I agree. That was the absolute pinnacle of UA basketball. Even better than 2/3/77 - the win over Division One Siena.

So on the eve of the opener I realize that my initial expectations haven't changed much since the end of last year.

Knowing that my opinion means nothing, and not fearing that I will be branded with the moniker of "fair weather fan" by program loyalists, I enter this season expecting the men's basketball team to win ten games total.

-3 out of the 5 opening night starters have never played a minute of DI basketball.

-The other two starters (Black and Aronhalt) have a combined 37 starts between them, and averaged 21.2 and 17.2 minutes per game respectively.

But the youth of the team isn't the question that has kept my head spinning since the end of last season. I still can't figure out how a team that was picked third in the conference in the preseason could end up at 7-25. I can't figure out how a team with two second team all-conference players couldn't beat anybody in conference play besides one other cellar dwelling team.

I saw a lot of poor basketball last year, including a high incidence of fundamental mistakes. I saw players that couldn't inbound the ball, that couldn't hold on to it once it entered play, and I saw a team that couldn't beat a press. I saw poor shooting even on open looks, I watched as opponents made uncontested three pointer after uncontested three pointer, and I rarely saw uncontainable passion and pride in wearing the UAlbany jersey.

I could write a thousand words more about why I am more dejected than ever before at the start of a basketball season, but I will hold to a glimmer of hope. There is talent on this team and the potential to be better than mediocre, and to restore some of the lost respect to the program, but right now I am taking a wait and see approach. I hope this team and its coaching staff proves my prediction wrong.

UAlbany should not be a 300 RPI patsy but if they want to regain respect they have to take it.

So on the eve of the opener I realize that my initial expectations haven't changed much since the end of last year.

Knowing that my opinion means nothing, and not fearing that I will be branded with the moniker of "fair weather fan" by program loyalists, I enter this season expecting the men's basketball team to win ten games total.

-3 out of the 5 opening night starters have never played a minute of DI basketball.

-The other two starters (Black and Aronhalt) have a combined 37 starts between them, and averaged 21.2 and 17.2 minutes per game respectively.

But the youth of the team isn't the question that has kept my head spinning since the end of last season. I still can't figure out how a team that was picked third in the conference in the preseason could end up at 7-25. I can't figure out how a team with two second team all-conference players couldn't beat anybody in conference play besides one other cellar dwelling team.

I saw a lot of poor basketball last year, including a high incidence of fundamental mistakes. I saw players that couldn't inbound the ball, that couldn't hold on to it once it entered play, and I saw a team that couldn't beat a press. I saw poor shooting even on open looks, I watched as opponents made uncontested three pointer after uncontested three pointer, and I rarely saw uncontainable passion and pride in wearing the UAlbany jersey.

I could write a thousand words more about why I am more dejected than ever before at the start of a basketball season, but I will hold to a glimmer of hope. There is talent on this team and the potential to be better than mediocre, and to restore some of the lost respect to the program, but right now I am taking a wait and see approach. I hope this team and its coaching staff proves my prediction wrong.

UAlbany should not be a 300 RPI patsy but if they want to regain respect they have to take it.

I'm sorry haggy, but im the fair weather fan.

Nothing there is out of line, a lot to think about. Last season was just that horrific. I said we'd get to 12 wins, if we get more then that I'll be pleasantly surprised. Can't realistically predict a 10+ game improvement.

I have always been under the impression that this program does not have enough loyal supporters to have the liberty of fighting its own, but I guess different people have different agendas.

Now what was that famous Rodney King quote again?

Man, you really need a therapist...or a strong cocktail.

I have always been under the impression that this program does not have enough loyal supporters to have the liberty of fighting its own, but I guess different people have different agendas.

Now what was that famous Rodney King quote again?

Tonight it all begins anew. Who will emerge as the leader of this team? If anyone? Will the "Hot Seat" be warmed up again?

Many R. King quotes apply here. “Can't we all... just... get along?” “Nothing has changed (in our country), so I am still feeling that same pain and anger.”

Nothing there is out of line, a lot to think about. Last season was just that horrific. I said we'd get to 12 wins, if we get more then that I'll be pleasantly surprised. Can't realistically predict a 10+ game improvement.

Agreed. I voted late (after our first two games) and voted for 7-9 wins this year, in large part because of Black's injury. Below is how I think it'll pan out, with a final record of 9-21 (I really hope I'm wrong, and if we start shooting the ball better and scoring 65+ ppg, then we will win many more games than I have predicted, especially in conference):

Fri, Nov 12 Cornell Albany, N.Y. [L]

Mon, Nov 15 American Albany, N.Y. [L]

Wed, Nov 17 Georgia Tech at Atlanta, Ga. [L]

Sat, Nov 20 Fairleigh Dickinson at Teaneck, N.J. [L]

Tue, Nov 23 Iona Albany, N.Y. [L]

Legends Classic Subregional

Fri, Nov 26 Detroit at Detroit, Mich. [L]

Sat, Nov 27 Niagara at Detroit, Mich. [L]

Sun, Nov 28 Bowling Green at Detroit, Mich. [L]

Sat, Dec 04 Siena at Albany, N.Y. [L]

Mon, Dec 06 Yale at New Haven, Conn. [W]

Sat, Dec 11 Central Connecticut State Albany, N.Y. [W]