UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Realistic Expectations

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We need to make a killing in the horrible AE, the OOC is brutal. Cornell will be good, Iona depending on who you listen to will be very good.

You believe to much of what you read on the little maac board. There are no gimme games in the AE even the 2 games against the team that has the former $iena kid on the team.

As far as Iona and Cornell, those are good teams in peer leagues. They are not unbeatable, but are good measuring sticks to see how this team competes against good teams

What does me believing what the MAAC board has to say have to do with anything. They beat us last year pretty good, especially in the second half. They also got better then last year.

Refers to the attitute in your poat that the AE is horrible and that UA should make a "killing" in the AE.

My opinion is that is the same nonsense you hear from maac clowns.

No, it's my opinion and has nothing to do with the MAAC board. The AE hardly ever comes up there. Last season was horrible, you know it, I know it so does everyone else. This season will probably be very similar.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UA08

Getting picked to finish second by the coaches after losing their best 3 players is a lot different than actually finishing 2nd. Like last year when some were talking top 25 for them, I think they are overrated. I think Blue Ribbons prediction for them at 4th is the most likely place they will finish this season, but there are so many unknowns I wouldn't bet the house on any spot. On paper Fairfield , Iona and St Peters should be better than them

As far as UA, I would like to see improvement. I have no idea as to how much is realistic. A little, a lot, who knows. On paper UA is only better than UMBC but right there with Bingo and Hartford. I would be happy with 6th this season with anything above that being better.

i know that being picked 2nd is different than finishing second, but my point is that even after losing 3 star players they are still respected around the league. that allure we had after two championships is gone and we are considered the doormats of the america east again by all the coaches. the point is someone messed up on the recruiting trail during the 2 years we were dominant and put us in the cellar instead of becoming a dominant program in the america east. someone should have been held accountable for that but instead we all turn are heads and shy away from criticism.

i mean for god sake we are behind binghamton! this is a team that last year lost 6 players from their roster and still finished 6th with scraps. yes they still had a 1st teamer greer wright, but for a team that goes through so much stuff the past 2 years they are still picked a head of us. i dont know how that doesnt upset everyone that they are able to take two steps forward and we took two steps back after all the crap theyve been through.

How is the maac coaches poll any different than the AE poll when UA was coming off back to back championships or any other coaches polls. Any team coming off back to back championship is going to get the benefit of the doubt and a team is only going to be voted ahead of the multiple defending champ only if the coaches think there is no doubt that team is better then the defending champ. Go back and see where UA was in the polls in 07-08. It was pretty high and they finished tied for 2nd, 3 seed at 10-6 in 07-08 down from 13-3 the year before. Conversely when you finish last one season you are never going to be voted ahead of many teams. It really doesn't mean a thing.

UA08

Getting picked to finish second by the coaches after losing their best 3 players is a lot different than actually finishing 2nd. Like last year when some were talking top 25 for them, I think they are overrated. I think Blue Ribbons prediction for them at 4th is the most likely place they will finish this season, but there are so many unknowns I wouldn't bet the house on any spot. On paper Fairfield , Iona and St Peters should be better than them

As far as UA, I would like to see improvement. I have no idea as to how much is realistic. A little, a lot, who knows. On paper UA is only better than UMBC but right there with Bingo and Hartford. I would be happy with 6th this season with anything above that being better.

i know that being picked 2nd is different than finishing second, but my point is that even after losing 3 star players they are still respected around the league. that allure we had after two championships is gone and we are considered the doormats of the america east again by all the coaches. the point is someone messed up on the recruiting trail during the 2 years we were dominant and put us in the cellar instead of becoming a dominant program in the america east. someone should have been held accountable for that but instead we all turn are heads and shy away from criticism.

i mean for god sake we are behind binghamton! this is a team that last year lost 6 players from their roster and still finished 6th with scraps. yes they still had a 1st teamer greer wright, but for a team that goes through so much stuff the past 2 years they are still picked a head of us. i dont know how that doesnt upset everyone that they are able to take two steps forward and we took two steps back after all the crap theyve been through.

How is the maac coaches poll any different than the AE poll when UA was coming off back to back championships or any other coaches polls. Any team coming off back to back championship is going to get the benefit of the doubt and a team is only going to be voted ahead of the multiple defending champ only if the coaches think there is no doubt that team is better then the defending champ. Go back and see where UA was in the polls in 07-08. It was pretty high and they finished tied for 2nd, 3 seed at 10-6 in 07-08 down from 13-3 the year before. Conversely when you finish last one season you are never going to be voted ahead of many teams. It really doesn't mean a thing.

True story!

No, it's my opinion and has nothing to do with the MAAC board. The AE hardly ever comes up there. Last season was horrible, you know it, I know it so does everyone else. This season will probably be very similar.

Fine and I disagree with it.

Last year was horrible for UMBC(1-13 OOC) Hartford(2-12 OOC) and UA. The rest of the league did about as expected ooc (52-45 total including Bingo's 5-10). The AE is going to lose most of their games against the big 6 conferences. If most teams win 1/2 or more of the rest of the games agianst the other mid majors that helps. But either way in the 65 team tourney the champ is the only team getting in and they have been a 13 to 16 seed just like the peer leagues usually are. Cornell as good as they were last season ended up a 12 seed.

I don't know what this season holds. We'll see.

UA08

there is no difference. my real point that im trying to pick it is that we have lost all our allure of being a dominant force after back to back championships. we were unable to sustain anything and we are back to square one. hopefully the team will prove everyone wrong in a good way this year.

FANATIC....go read up on the definition and original meaning.

This is a cyclic league, so if you want to think we are going to be a "dominant force" year after year as long as you follow UA Hoops than quite frankly, you will end up sorely disappointed.

there is no difference. my real point that im trying to pick it is that we have lost all our allure of being a dominant force after back to back championships. we were unable to sustain anything and we are back to square one. hopefully the team will prove everyone wrong in a good way this year.

Agreed, sports is a what have you done for me lately business and there is no player on UA's team from the championship year.I wouldn't expect there to be any allure left. I am just saying polls are a "trailing" indicator not a leading indicator and have nothing to do with team performance. I hope UA improves this season and if they do some of the "allure" will be back and they will be voted higher in next years polls and next years results not poll will be what counts to me.

Also I hope LCC starts declining, working towards a team that sucks enough to be representative of everything else at that school.

FANATIC....go read up on the definition and original meaning.

This is a cyclic league, so if you want to think we are going to be a "dominant force" year after year as long as you follow UA Hoops than quite frankly, you will end up sorely disappointed.

whatever man. I'm a fanatic so what. Isn't everyone here a fan? There's no reason why a team can't reload every year. Look at Vermont and all their success over the past 10 years. They are in the semis almost every year and there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to do that.

A fanatic has unbridled--and unreasonable--expectations always. Don't worry, you are not alone in this regard...but the hard reality is this is cyclic and you cant always have such a view.

Believe me, living in Boston I am surronded by that EVERY day.

Vermont...was putrid for nearly 100 years.

A fanatic has unbridled--and unreasonable--expectations always. Don't worry, you are not alone in this regard...but the hard reality is this is cyclic and you cant always have such a view.

Believe me, living in Boston I am surronded by that EVERY day.

Vermont...was putrid for nearly 100 years.

well then to you i am a fanatic. if expecting a top four finish every year and playing in the semis is unreasonable then im guilty.

Believe me, living downstate everyone is a fanatic of all the teams they follow.

I voted +16, infact they will win +18 games. This team is talented and hungry. I know I sound like a Polyanna and I do realize how young this team is, but I stick with my prediction (my opinion).

Maybe this team is as talented and hungry as you anticipate. Perhaps though we don't have the coach to put a consistently cohesive gameplan together and/or achieve maximum results from that talent. Its certainly happened before.

As far as success being cyclical - I suppose there is some truth to that, but I'll always be disappointed we didn't get more of a ride immediately following two successive trips to tournament.

Cornell picked third in the Ivy. Didn't realize they graduated 8 guys, half the team.

Cornell graduated eight seniors, including six regulars in a rotation that finished 29-5 and reached the Sweet 16 last season. Head coach Steve Donahue left to take over Boston College's program, and former Bucknell star Bill Courtney was tabbed by Andy Noel as Donahue's replacement.

Courtney acknowledged his is a "team full of unknowns."

"It's all new," he said. "Even a guy like Chris Wroblewski, who started for the team last year, will have to take on a leadership role and be one of the main guys. I still think we have a chance to be competitive. I love the guys, and love their work ethic."

I think the issue here is what people "should expect" and what they "can expect". I, like the rest of us, wish we could be a perennial team top team in the league, but the reality is (like previously stated) that this kind of thing does not happen in a league like the AE. UVM has RECENTLY enjoyed a little bit more success, but aside from that the AE is league of teams that come and go. I'd be willing to bet these kind of frustrations arise around the league when a school has a good couple year run but cannot build on it. You think BU is happy? I'm sure they are thinking they should be further than they are and building off of the talent they already have. (I'm not trying to say they are a bust or "they're done" at all btw...). This isn't the big east or acc where you can have a coach's head after 4 years of poor performance. Just the same you can't really look too much into things like not having national TV games...because how "valuable" was it to have that game last year where we got absolutely walked on by a poor UNC team? We play at the garden this year...I like it, I'd like to see more stuff like this, maybe try and get an addition TUC game? (don't know if this is actually contractually possible to be honest?)

Anywho...

I voted 13-15. I wanted to go 16+, but if we get 13-15 wins and included in them are quality ones (Siena? a lot of people on the boards like to downplay the signifigance in the game, but I think it would be HUGE, especially for a young team, and especially for a student fan base with nothing to watch for since essentially everyone who was around for the dance years has graduated.). I think we can all agree the ultimate goal for this team year in and year out should be winning the league/getting to the dance. The program could use some buzz, some excitement, some kind of defining moment too however. It's a dream, I know, but imagine a win...or even close call with GT?

That's just my 2 cents for now. Very excited for the season!

I think the issue here is what people "should expect" and what they "can expect". I, like the rest of us, wish we could be a perennial team top team in the league, but the reality is (like previously stated) that this kind of thing does not happen in a league like the AE. UVM has RECENTLY enjoyed a little bit more success, but aside from that the AE is league of teams that come and go.

Putting me in the uncomfortable position of defending Vermont, but I'd say their success, yes, long coming, qualifies for more than recent. Since 2001-02 season, the first year the America East had essentially its current composition, Vermont has finished in the top two in the final league standings in seven of the last nine years and has made four trips to the NCAA Tournament. The Catamounts only placed lower than fourth once, a 7-9 showing in 2005-06, the year following the graduation of the great T.J. Sorrentine – Taylor Coppenrath duo that upset Syracuse in 2005.

I suspect that this year UAlb will have a few upsets and letdown games this season, the usual result have youth and talent, but the overall success of the season will depending if they can iron out a consistency for the second half of conference play and March.

Archived