UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium: Architecture, Engineering, and Design AWARDED!

Anyone with more info on the release today?

Don't see anything yet. T-U biz section has a story on another $1.6M grant to Nano from NSF.

It took two days last week for a story on the fountain/water tower bids to make the Gazette, so unless the media had somebody at the opening...or UA won't say anything until after reviewing the bids.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya...I saw that grant. Pretty amazing.

On a side note, I am starting to wonder if the $1mm donor is not the Nano College (which has a separate finance arm). I know Kalaryos enjoys athletics in general. There was a sneaky little comment at the Presser where it was stated it could be a solo person or a something like a group...forgot what was exactly said.

Would not seem that far out of the ordinary...

Well, I got my hands on the construction documents, and after a couple of hours of reading through the very detailed specifications, let me just say this:

Buy those season tickets early, as the berm seating counts towards the 6K figure.

2056 lower stands.

2192 upper stands.

1692 berm seating (Northern end zone.)

Other notables:

The scoreboard is not in the contract.

There will be one men's room, bookmarked on each side by a women's room, with concession stands bookmarking each of the women's room.

The northern side will have a gift shop.

The turf will have alternating green colors (per a contractual addendum), with purple-marked twenty yard lines.

There will be a retaining pond near the current entrance to the Gold parking lot (Sorry, but for some reason I like retaining ponds.)

A T&F throwing area will be constructed south of the current softball field.

The soccer practice field planned for east of the stadium is not in the contract.

That's it for now; there's a lot of information.

If you want to see some documents, you know the drill....

Well, I got my hands on the construction documents, and after a couple of hours of reading through the very detailed specifications, let me just say this:

Buy those season tickets early, as the berm seating counts towards the 6K figure.

2056 lower stands.

2192 upper stands.

1692 berm seating (Northern end zone.)

Other notables:

The scoreboard is not in the contract.

There will be one men's room, bookmarked on each side by a women's room, with concession stands bookmarking each of the women's room.

The northern side will have a gift shop.

The turf will have alternating green colors (per a contractual addendum), with purple-marked twenty yard lines.

There will be a retaining pond near the current entrance to the Gold parking lot (Sorry, but for some reason I like retaining ponds.)

A T&F throwing area will be constructed south of the current softball field.

The soccer practice field planned for east of the stadium is not in the contract.

That's it for now; there's a lot of information.

If you want to see some documents, you know the drill....

I am with you, I like the retaining pond as a nice landscape feature.

I am not TOO concerned about the scoreboard because they announced it as part of the deal. My guess...is that it is a direct buy from Daktronics or someone else as it is likely cheaper to buy it directly from the supplier.

Thumbs up (and yes, I will pat my own back) to UAalumn and I for nearly getting the seating on point when we did our initial count. Remember though, those were WANTS...you may actually see that number go up if it is cost effective...nice way to "win the bid" and an easy feature to add.

4200 perm seats is nice.

What soccer practice field was planned? I don't remember that at all. That said, I suspect that they will simply line a field that is a current practice football field for soccer practice.

What is really interesting, is that the field meets FIFA International Match Regulation size of 115 yards by 70 yards. I would not be shocked for a NASL team to possibly come on to compete with Rochester, etc.

Edited by Dane96

Again, without the RFP in front of me, my guess is it will be a solution bought direct from the vendor to save costs.

Contingency fund use likely.

Makes sense, especially if they are leased.

That would bring official capacity to 8177, which is the perfect size for Phase I.

This fall the soccer team will play on the existing practice field #1, just east of Varsity Field. I suppose they might just move the current stands, using in-house maintenance personnel.

So the retaining pond will basically be behind the south end zone?

I'd rather not use the Great Dane logo unless we go back to the old one

First letter to the T-U today - surprisingly, someone who says Start to think big

Yep...agreed with the size...absolutely perfect and the same size as Stony Brook!

I am a little surprised with two things:

1) It says 6 suites in the articles...but according to the RFP excerpt posted by Haggy...I count 4 for sale...1 extra that's "OPEN"....and 1 more that is undetermined but only sits 4 people. 4 people...small suite, not sure what they have planned for that.

Also, no presidents suite.

2)And the written press row seems big now...but small in the long term (14 slots).

Couple of quick thoughts come to mind. The future expansion of suites on top of the press box could have something to do with this. I think that the President's office will lease the unnamed suite for 10 people now. Once we put the upper press area up...that will likely contain a big set of "club" suites. The President's suite will likely go up there as well, freeing up another suite. And of course, probably the addition (based on size) of 6 suites is likely (club suites could take up the same size as press row, audio/tv, and the control room).

If the "4 person" open suite is next to the press area, that would likely be merged with the current press-area to get to 18-20 seats...which is the right, and better figure, for pro events (lax, soccer, etc.), playoff games and high school sport playoffs.

Edited by Dane96

$16M is the lowest bid.

Does that leave 2M for the scoreboard and tyemporary stands? Also, if the bid comes in lower than expected would the university have the flexibility to update their plans and ask for the berm to be changed to seats?... or to add more seats? How fixed is the current design, contract wise?

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/morning_call/2012/02/Baltimore-firm-low-bid-UAlbany-sports.html