UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium: Architecture, Engineering, and Design AWARDED!

FYI - the company with the low bid is currently building the new NanoX building.

Since this contractor had the lowest bid; has experience with stadiums (Ravens, RPI, and more); and since we already have a working relationship with them (Nano), anyone know why we need "several" weeks to award the contract?????

State Finance Law.....I assume the contract will need to be approved by AG and OSC...?

Nope...this is approved already.

I presume the docs have a validity period of the proposal acceptance...but this will not be a long period. I'd expect an announcement by Mid-March.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I presume the docs have a validity period of the proposal acceptance...but this will not be a long period. I'd expect an announcement by Mid-March.

I do not see how this could possibly be approved already if the vendor hasn't even been approved by the university. The low bidder has been announced, but that is it.

Next steps:

1) Approve/Disapprove the lowest bid.

2) Formalize the contract documents with the desired vendor.

3) Have vendor and university sign the forms.

4) Have the university enter all the financial information into their own accounting system.

5) Send electronic financial information to the State Accounting System (CAS).

6) Send signed documents to the Attorney General's Office.

7) Send signed documents to the Bureau of Contracts at the Office of the State Comptroller.

-Wait for the pile to move.

-Verify AG sign-offs.

-Verify the financial information (header and encumbrance.)

8) Receive approved contract back from OSC.

Every time it hits a person's desk, more time is added until the contract is approved. Ergo, working at the "Speed of State".

Coming out of the SUNY Contruction Fund might change parts of this, but that is the general process for all contracts.

An additonal wrinkle this year is that all contractual vendors must be converted on the new Statewide Vendor file. This extra step involves:

1)The vendor submitting a W-9 form to the agency.

2) The agency inputting the information on the new Statewide Financial System (SFS).

3) SFS verifying the vendor name against the IRS website, (and if all other information is accurate), moving the record from a staging table to the official file.

I just looked, and this vendor was approved for the Statewide file on 1/13/2011, so that saves SOME time in the process. A completely new vendor to the state could have caused an additional delay of up to two weeks.

I do not see how this could possibly be approved already if the vendor hasn't even been approved by the university. The low bidder has been announced, but that is it.

Next steps:

4) Have the university enter all the financial information into their own accounting system.

7) Send signed documents to the Bureau of Contracts at the Office of the State Comptroller.

-Verify AG sign-offs.

Every time it hits a person's desk, more time is added until the contract is approved. Ergo, working at the "Speed of State".

Coming out of the SUNY Contruction Fund might change parts of this, but that is the general process for all contracts.

In the Business Review article from page 27, Rick Coe said "UAlbany does not expect to finalize a deal with a winning bidder for at least three weeks, and maybe as long as five weeks"; would that cover step 1, 1-3, 1-7, or 1-8?

Next steps:

-Verify AG sign-offs.

WIth all due respect, that's not how it goes. It takes about 1 week to eval and score bids. 1 week to make a recommendation to the board. Few days to get the signors...and then negotiations.

Negotiations go something like this:

WE hate those terms

UA- great, they are State required, deal with it.

Ok...can we get some liability cap and indeminity cap?

UA- yes, you an get the contract price.

SIGNED...NTP is given.

Haggy...I work on 5 NYS projects...and that's how they all go.

Next steps:

-Verify AG sign-offs.

WIth all due respect, that's not how it goes. It takes about 1 week to eval and score bids. 1 week to make a recommendation to the board. Few days to get the signors...and then negotiations.

Negotiations go something like this:

WE hate those terms

UA- great, they are State required, deal with it.

Ok...can we get some liability cap and indeminity cap?

UA- yes, you an get the contract price.

SIGNED...NTP is given.

Haggy...I work on 5 NYS projects...and that's how they all go.

I've worked on creating and managing about 10 NYS contracts over the past few years and the way Haggy described it is the way all my contracts were approved, so he's not wrong.

However, none of the one's I've worked on are CONSTRUCTION contracts. My guess is the difference in approval processes you are familiar with and what Haggy listed out may be due to the type of Construction contract you work with.

But does it really matter for this discussion here? Well maybe just because we're trying to figure out timing...

MsGDG...you hit it on the head, construction is much different animal. And Danefan was correct, they probably had an idea who the top bidders would have been, so they already have the deviations ready (both sides).

Usually, it is the signatories that take the longest time.

You are correct however, it really doesn't matter. What matter is the admins have said they want April groundbreaking...which means an NTP no later than mid-April. We are in March...so max this is 8 weeks, more likely 5 with a rubber stamp.

Either way, it's extremely exciting...and the more I dig into the thing...the more fun stuff (little details) I find. Phillip made this first class.

MsGDG...you hit it on the head, construction is much different animal. And Danefan was correct, they probably had an idea who the top bidders would have been, so they already have the deviations ready (both sides).

Darn those "State-Operated Campuses" Construction contracts; I guess they are a totally different animal Construction Contracting

But don't I get some credit for saying earlier that they could have a different process? Come on...it's date stamped.

Still, the humble pie tastes delicious.

Edit: State-Operated Campuses construction contracts are the different animal. Other agency construction contracts would be subject to the other process.

Cool to know. Thank you.

See, now this strikes me as odd, because it would be a violation of the Procurement Lobby Law for a contract other than for construction on State-Operated Campuses:

Solicitation of Bid Proposals: "Contact a reasonable number of local contractors (a minimum of 5, if feasible). Describe the project to be bid and invite the contractors to submit a bid Proposal on the work. Listing of project with at least one Local Builder's Exchange and/or contract reporting services is also recommended."

Darn those "State-Operated Campuses" Construction contracts; I guess they are a totally different animal Construction Contracting

But don't I get some credit for saying earlier that they could have a different process? Come on...it's date stamped.

Still, the humble pie tastes delicious.

Edit: State-Operated Campuses construction contracts are the different animal. Other agency construction contracts would be subject to the other process.

Cool to know. Thank you.

No worries. And believe me, the process is no fun; I have way too many gray hairs for a 38 y.o. Thank you NY, MA, and CA...the absolute horror shows of states to contract with.

Archived