UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium: Architecture, Engineering, and Design AWARDED!

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice that he supports what we're getting, but 1) there's still the small-time attitude that 6,000 is the appropriate size, that 15,000 is some huge, overbuilt palace; and 2) he should point out to those complaining about tuition that most of the increases for the last decade or more did NOT go directly to the university, but into the state's general revenue stream - essentially a tax on the students or their families. (Don't remember if that changed with SUNY2020).

Nice that he supports what we're getting, but 1) there's still the small-time attitude that 6,000 is the appropriate size, that 15,000 is some huge, overbuilt palace; and 2) he should point out to those complaining about tuition that most of the increases for the last decade or more did NOT go directly to the university, but into the state's general revenue stream - essentially a tax on the students or their families. (Don't remember if that changed with SUNY2020).

I would agree with point one but we have never had over 7,000 people for a game. If we sell out every game then yes I would say build up the stadium and it sounds like this is the plan.

As for SUNY 2020 we only get the difference in the increase, the rest goes to the state. Amazingly backwards but at least we are having tuition going towards us.

We have had over 7k for a game...back in the day when people sat on the lawn and were able to drink.

...and admission was free.

From game notes:

UAlbany's Top Home Crowds

Nov. 6, 1978: 7,500 vs. Ithaca

Sept. 20, 1975: 7,500 vs. Ithaca

Oct. 9, 2010: 6,624 vs. Saint Francis, Pa.

Oct. 5, 1974: 6,500 vs. RIT

Sept. 10, 1984: 6,500 vs. Ithaca

Oct. 13, 2007: 6,419 vs. Sacred Heart

Oct. 10, 2009: 6,255 vs. Duquesne

Sept. 10, 2005: 6,212 vs. Hofstra

Oct. 12, 1996: 6,082 vs. Union

Like a company accountant reviewing your expense account, I'd be suspicious of any attendance ending in '00'. But being able to get over 6K even with our stadium says there's potential for a lot more out there.

While it seems the TU is a step in the right direction...I can only hope that the TU and other journalists finally take note of some of the other sports that UA sponsors. It would be nice that they would give some in-depth attention to the spring sports such as baseball and softball. The athletic teams at UA are making huge strides, but they are not only on the football field or basketball court.

If we sell out every game then yes I would say build up the stadium ...

Then we'd never expand. Football will never sell out every game - it's too dependent on weather, holidays, the opponent. It's not like fans that don't show up on a rainy homecoming will come back in November. Building to the current max means turning away fans from a more attractive game. And empty seats on the 10-yard line might still be empty after an expansion with another deck at midfield. Two or three games per year at 90% capacity should be enough to add on.

If we sell out every game then yes I would say build up the stadium ...

Then we'd never expand. Football will never sell out every game - it's too dependent on weather, holidays, the opponent. It's not like fans that don't show up on a rainy homecoming will come back in November. Building to the current max means turning away fans from a more attractive game. And empty seats on the 10-yard line might still be empty after an expansion with another deck at midfield. Two or three games per year at 90% capacity should be enough to add on.

Agreed. Averaging over 4500 should be cause for the lower bowl to be build in the end zone and visitors side.

However, if the athletic department does this right, we should sell out two games a year - home opener and home coming. We basically do that now.

They usually announce the pricing and the firms.

Without a full review of the RFP, I can't comment whether this is a straight Lowest-Bid or Best Value process. In the Lowest-Bid process, the lowest bid is picked and then they review the bid internally for compliance. This one would be readily available for FOIL.

With the Best Value process, there is a scoring system that puts heavy emphasis on cost and technical compliance. This would not readily be available for a FOIL request.

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S2505820.shtml?cat=300

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/morning_call/2012/02/university-at-albany-announcing-bids.html

Very interested to see what the naming rights bids are. Appears there will be two sets of bids - one for the field and one for the stadium. I'm hoping the bid for the field either requires the name to incorporate "Bob Ford" or that one of the bidders will be the Albany Foundation with the "Bob Ford Field" name.

Archived