UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs Siena

Can someone tell me why we did not call a timeout on the possession we had down by 3 with under a minute left to get Suero back into the game? They had a timeout left and I know he was struggling all night, but he's your best player and needs to be on the floor. They miss end up missing their 3 point shot and then foul. Then Suero comes back into the game down 5. I don't get that.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note, this has been the worst three weeks in my sports life.

Nov 20th - At Metlife Stadium to watch Vince Young drive his team down the field to beat the Giants. Disgusting loss.

Nov 26th - At Stony Brook to see UA lose in one of the most heartbreaking losses I've ever experienced in their first playoff appearance.

Nov 28th - Watch Giants get embarrassed and destroyed by the Saints.

Dec 4th - At Metlife Stadium to watch the Giants lose another heartbreaker to the Pack.

Dec 4th - Jose Reyes leaves the NY Mets.

Dec 5th - Well, you know about that one. Watch disgusting loss by UA to Siena.

WORST THREE WEEKS EVER!!!!! DAMMIT!

Some of you guys have to come off the ledge before you kill yourself.

First Off Siena scored 64pt including 6 pts off banked threes. (Defensively 58pts is adequate to win even this game actually 56 if there is no Flagarant on Black).

Siena gets a flagarant "T" called on Mike Black when we have the ball in our offensive end and he's gaetting hacked (2 points and possession to Siena)

UA went to the Free throw line 5 that's right 5 times

Coming into this game UA gets to the FT line avg 25 FT attempts a game. It wasn't like we didn't get hit a little.

UA gives up a big first half lead ( partially because of two banked threes)

We came out and started the second half getting 4 layups in its 1st 5 possessions and comes away with no baskets and zero FTs.

Like it or not we have to live with some of Suero's shortcomings he just learning the game. he's just a raw talent right now.

It's also evident that Puk and Devlin aren't near 100% ready to play. I really feel for Luke with out them we have only 1 guy bigger then 6'5"

Extremely disappointing loss, a terrible loss but our real weakness was exposed - we got killed by not being able to body up on Walters and OD and they overpowered us on the glass

This is a game we should have won - lets see what happens from here.

Normally agree...but in this instance, there were absolutely no in-game adjustments other than getting a guy on Hymes. I was just shocked at what I saw on the defensive end in the 2nd half. Yes, 6 pts on lucky banks...and even the throw up by Walter (or Ansokie...don't remember) with no time on the shot clock in the lane. And heck, I will even give the flagrant (that was not a flagrant foul...and even the Siena announcers were not happy that you have to go to a TV monitor to make such a call). But that is no excuse for giving up a 19 pt lead...even in a rivalry game.

That said, we will live by the Suero/Aronholt sword...and die by it. Both couldn't play defense if their life depended on it and it now doubt put pressure on the guys down low. But to give up 17 Offensive rebounds is inexcusable.

I will say this...I thought the fouls were deplorable; or the lack thereof called on Suero drives.

All in all...its just a game...and it won't hurt our seeding...it wont hurt our attendance...and it wont hurt our conference prospects.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE...is giving up big leads is becoming a problem. Forgetting some defensive adjustments that arguably could/should/maybe should have been made (and I agree that not having a Puk and Devlin at 100% hurt us in this game)...my real issue was the guys looked like they were in slow motion in the 2nd half. With a week of rest...you should not be getting beat for loose balls and nearly every offensive (defensive from our end board). It is up to the coaching staff to find a way to light a fire under these guys...and right now...having a big lead is not a plus for us.

Look...if they use this as a teaching tool...and the guys respond...it's all forgotten. But I think it hurts more because of the rivalry...and whether the team/school/or the coaching staff like or admit it...it IS A RIVALRY GAME TO MANY OF US.

Let's turn the page...and make something out of this loss. But my g-d do we need production from Luke and Puk...ASAP!!!!

I strongly disagree that this won't effect attendance. Each and every loss is effecting attendance. This one being a cross town rival will lose fans.

On top of his on floor coaching that I have issues with, CB's lack of enthusiasm is also a problem. This is not just another game. He should watch Army/Navy this weekend and take notes. That's a non conference, meaningless game too.

This was a team loss. The coach/leadership is accountable. UA is a bigger and better team that was out-performed and out-hustled. Winning the conference is great and of greater importance, but this is the game and it truly is UA's biggest stage. CB does not get that. He wants a bigger fan base, but those fans he's looking for want to enjoy this show every year. Not only has he sucked as an on court decision maker, he seems to go out of his way to downplay the rivalry. His misreading of the audience pisses me off. I'm tired of looking at him and his assistance throw games away.

First Off Siena scored 64pt including 6 pts off banked threes. (Defensively 58pts is adequate to win even this game actually 56 if there is no Flagarant on Black).

Siena gets a flagarant "T" called on Mike Black when we have the ball in our offensive end and he's gaetting hacked (2 points and possession to Siena)

Coming into this game UA gets to the FT line avg 25 FT attempts a game. It wasn't like we didn't get hit a little.

We came out and started the second half getting 4 layups in its 1st 5 possessions and comes away with no baskets and zero FTs.

Like it or not we have to live with some of Suero's shortcomings he just learning the game. he's just a raw talent right now.

It's also evident that Puk and Devlin aren't near 100% ready to play. I really feel for Luke with out them we have only 1 guy bigger then 6'5"

Extremely disappointing loss, a terrible loss but our real weakness was exposed - we got killed by not being able to body up on Walters and OD and they overpowered us on the glass

Normally agree...but in this instance, there were absolutely no in-game adjustments other than getting a guy on Hymes. I was just shocked at what I saw on the defensive end in the 2nd half. Yes, 6 pts on lucky banks...and even the throw up by Walter (or Ansokie...don't remember) with no time on the shot clock in the lane. And heck, I will even give the flagrant (that was not a flagrant foul...and even the Siena announcers were not happy that you have to go to a TV monitor to make such a call). But that is no excuse for giving up a 19 pt lead...even in a rivalry game.

That said, we will live by the Suero/Aronholt sword...and die by it. Both couldn't play defense if their life depended on it and it now doubt put pressure on the guys down low. But to give up 17 Offensive rebounds is inexcusable.

I will say this...I thought the fouls were deplorable; or the lack thereof called on Suero drives.

All in all...its just a game...and it won't hurt our seeding...it wont hurt our attendance...and it wont hurt our conference prospects.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE...is giving up big leads is becoming a problem. Forgetting some defensive adjustments that arguably could/should/maybe should have been made (and I agree that not having a Puk and Devlin at 100% hurt us in this game)...my real issue was the guys looked like they were in slow motion in the 2nd half. With a week of rest...you should not be getting beat for loose balls and nearly every offensive (defensive from our end board). It is up to the coaching staff to find a way to light a fire under these guys...and right now...having a big lead is not a plus for us.

Look...if they use this as a teaching tool...and the guys respond...it's all forgotten. But I think it hurts more because of the rivalry...and whether the team/school/or the coaching staff like or admit it...it IS A RIVALRY GAME TO MANY OF US.

Let's turn the page...and make something out of this loss. But my g-d do we need production from Luke and Puk...ASAP!!!!

I strongly disagree that this won't effect attendance. Each and every loss is effecting attendance. This one being a cross town rival will lose fans.

On top of his on floor coaching that I have issues with, CB's lack of enthusiasm is also a problem. This is not just another game. He should watch Army/Navy this weekend and take notes. That's a non conference, meaningless game too.

This was a team loss. The coach/leadership is accountable. UA is a bigger and better team that was out-performed and out-hustled. Winning the conference is great and of greater importance, but this is the game and it truly is UA's biggest stage. CB does not get that. He wants a bigger fan base, but those fans he's looking for want to enjoy this show every year. Not only has he sucked as an on court decision maker, he seems to go out of his way to downplay the rivalry. His misreading of the audience pisses me off. I'm tired of looking at him and his assistance throw games away.

He's got three and a half months to prove that he's even worthy of a contract extension. After last night i wouldn't give him jack. What happened to this talk about him recruiting hard nosed players? Was Rowley hurt? I thought he was a banger inside although he's undersized. How bout giving him a few minutes to try and give some hard fouls on siena's bigs.

What do we have to lose by playing this game other than our dignity as fans and a fist full of hair? Let's face it, Siena plays in a better league as the AE has continued it's slide over the last 5 years. 4 of 5 years ago when we were in the 18-22 range you could argue with LCC fans about leagues, today that argument is a joke. The AE is a bottom five conference for the foreseeable future. When you have the likes of Bing in their current state, UMBC who is borderline a DII team, Hartford who god knows when will get another D1 win, UNH and lets face it our own TWO count it TWO 20 win seasons in our DI existence what can you expect. As painful as it is to admit it we as a program can't hold a candle to Siena...that's a fact. I know people will bristle at that and say it's not true and trust me, I hate those smug SOB'ches over there as much as the next guy but we need to open our eyes.

We have nothing to lose playing this game but our dignity, when your own administration refuses to stand up and fight for an equatable contract when UVM gets a home and home, why are we blaming Siena and their administration? In our DI existence going on what 11 years we have TWO count them TWO winning season...TWO. Time to look ourselves in the mirror.

Who is blaming $iena for the contract. They are what they are and they are not worthy of support, but it is up to UA to get an equitable contract or tell them where to go.

From what I remember reading the last person in UA admin to do that is no longer alive and that is why they don't have a baseball team (or one that plays UA which is the same thing in my book)

What do we have to lose by playing this game other than our dignity as fans and a fist full of hair? Let's face it, Siena plays in a better league as the AE has continued it's slide over the last 5 years. 4 of 5 years ago when we were in the 18-22 range you could argue with LCC fans about leagues, today that argument is a joke. The AE is a bottom five conference for the foreseeable future. When you have the likes of Bing in their current state, UMBC who is borderline a DII team, Hartford who god knows when will get another D1 win, UNH and lets face it our own TWO count it TWO 20 win seasons in our DI existence what can you expect. As painful as it is to admit it we as a program can't hold a candle to Siena...that's a fact. I know people will bristle at that and say it's not true and trust me, I hate those smug SOB'ches over there as much as the next guy but we need to open our eyes.

We have nothing to lose playing this game but our dignity, when your own administration refuses to stand up and fight for an equatable contract when UVM gets a home and home, why are we blaming Siena and their administration? In our DI existence going on what 11 years we have TWO count them TWO winning season...TWO. Time to look ourselves in the mirror.

Who is blaming $iena for the contract. They are what they are and they are not worthy of support, but it is up to UA to get an equitable contract or tell them where to go.

From what I remember reading the last person in UA admin to do that is no longer alive and that is why they don't have a baseball team (or one that plays UA which is the same thing in my book)

bob, I do see people from time to time blaming LCC for not giving us a fair contract, the terms of the new contract are even worse from what I'm told that the one we had last year.

If you don't respect yourself don't expect someone else to respect you...

On a side note, this has been the worst three weeks in my sports life.

Nov 20th - At Metlife Stadium to watch Vince Young drive his team down the field to beat the Giants. Disgusting loss.

Nov 26th - At Stony Brook to see UA lose in one of the most heartbreaking losses I've ever experienced in their first playoff appearance.

Nov 28th - Watch Giants get embarrassed and destroyed by the Saints.

Dec 4th - At Metlife Stadium to watch the Giants lose another heartbreaker to the Pack.

Dec 4th - Jose Reyes leaves the NY Mets.

Dec 5th - Well, you know about that one. Watch disgusting loss by UA to Siena.

WORST THREE WEEKS EVER!!!!! DAMMIT!

As a met and Giant fan as well, I feel your pain. However it is not the same. For 1 thing in the pro game, they lost to legitimate teams, not a garbage team like last night. For as many games as I attend I know my team is going to lose their share of them. The SB football game I saw the team play a worthy opponent and give it everything they had and come up short. I can handle that. If I was convinced either was the case last night, I would be fine.

He's got three and a half months to prove that he's even worthy of a contract extension. After last night i wouldn't give him jack. What happened to this talk about him recruiting hard nosed players? Was Rowley hurt? I thought he was a banger inside although he's undersized. How bout giving him a few minutes to try and give some hard fouls on siena's bigs.

Great question. Was asking that last night. He was in uniform getting pushed down the bench by assistant coaches.

bob, I do see people from time to time blaming LCC for not giving us a fair contract, the terms of the new contract are even worse from what I'm told that the one we had last year.

They are not blameless. They take short term gain over what is right (you can actually say that for both admins) and I think a fair contract should be done, but we should have demanded that years ago.

I don't buy that the short term cash gain trumpets building a program ; putting this game on sale at part of a miniplan every other year before it goes on sale individually if you have the game as it should be would build fans more than current situation.

They are not blameless. They take short term gain over what is right (you can actually say that for both admins) and I think a fair contract should be done, but we should have demanded that years ago.

I don't buy that the short term cash gain trumpets building a program ; putting this game on sale at part of a miniplan every other year before it goes on sale individually if you have the game as it should be would build fans more than current situation.(that ticks off some(most ?) of your most loyal fans

I tell you what that was a terrible performance. How do you squander a 19 point lead?

I'm ready for football season. Lets get that stadium built. Git R Done!

Yep...and we have a nice matchup in Ohio next year according to Danefan!

Can someone tell me why we did not call a timeout on the possession we had down by 3 with under a minute left to get Suero back into the game? They had a timeout left and I know he was struggling all night, but he's your best player and needs to be on the floor. They miss end up missing their 3 point shot and then foul. Then Suero comes back into the game down 5. I don't get that.

Honestly...I think that is a 50-50 call. While ultimately the game turned to a loss because of the missed three pointer, it was the decisions by the coaching staff and the players poor play and lack of heart that were the defining aspects of the game.

The non-timeout call is more cherry on top of a $ienaty performance.

Archived