UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs Siena

Some of you guys have to come off the ledge before you kill yourself.

First Off Siena scored 64pt including 6 pts off banked threes. (Defensively 58pts is adequate to win even this game actually 56 if there is no Flagarant on Black).

Siena gets a flagarant "T" called on Mike Black when we have the ball in our offensive end and he's gaetting hacked (2 points and possession to Siena)

UA went to the Free throw line 5 that's right 5 times

Coming into this game UA gets to the FT line avg 25 FT attempts a game. It wasn't like we didn't get hit a little.

UA gives up a big first half lead ( partially because of two banked threes)

We came out and started the second half getting 4 layups in its 1st 5 possessions and comes away with no baskets and zero FTs.

Like it or not we have to live with some of Suero's shortcomings he just learning the game. he's just a raw talent right now.

It's also evident that Puk and Devlin aren't near 100% ready to play. I really feel for Luke with out them we have only 1 guy bigger then 6'5"

Extremely disappointing loss, a terrible loss but our real weakness was exposed - we got killed by not being able to body up on Walters and OD and they overpowered us on the glass

This is a game we should have won - lets see what happens from here.

Normally agree...but in this instance, there were absolutely no in-game adjustments other than getting a guy on Hymes. I was just shocked at what I saw on the defensive end in the 2nd half. Yes, 6 pts on lucky banks...and even the throw up by Walter (or Ansokie...don't remember) with no time on the shot clock in the lane. And heck, I will even give the flagrant (that was not a flagrant foul...and even the Siena announcers were not happy that you have to go to a TV monitor to make such a call). But that is no excuse for giving up a 19 pt lead...even in a rivalry game.

That said, we will live by the Suero/Aronholt sword...and die by it. Both couldn't play defense if their life depended on it and it now doubt put pressure on the guys down low. But to give up 17 Offensive rebounds is inexcusable.

I will say this...I thought the fouls were deplorable; or the lack thereof called on Suero drives.

All in all...its just a game...and it won't hurt our seeding...it wont hurt our attendance...and it wont hurt our conference prospects.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE...is giving up big leads is becoming a problem. Forgetting some defensive adjustments that arguably could/should/maybe should have been made (and I agree that not having a Puk and Devlin at 100% hurt us in this game)...my real issue was the guys looked like they were in slow motion in the 2nd half. With a week of rest...you should not be getting beat for loose balls and nearly every offensive (defensive from our end board). It is up to the coaching staff to find a way to light a fire under these guys...and right now...having a big lead is not a plus for us.

Look...if they use this as a teaching tool...and the guys respond...it's all forgotten. But I think it hurts more because of the rivalry...and whether the team/school/or the coaching staff like or admit it...it IS A RIVALRY GAME TO MANY OF US.

Let's turn the page...and make something out of this loss. But my g-d do we need production from Luke and Puk...ASAP!!!!

I strongly disagree that this won't effect attendance. Each and every loss is effecting attendance. This one being a cross town rival will lose fans.

On top of his on floor coaching that I have issues with, CB's lack of enthusiasm is also a problem. This is not just another game. He should watch Army/Navy this weekend and take notes. That's a non conference, meaningless game too.

You may very well be right...and the loss certainly won't HELP attendance. I just feel if this team rattles off 20 wins...we will get the 1000 plus students per night that we have seen in the past.

Either way...this was, IMHO, one of the worst losses of the last 5-6 years by a UA squad. Add to that the Football loss...and I am very upset right now.

And while I do like Coach, and his family...I am very anti his whole, it's just another game. It's not. Fact is, the game is played for the coaches, the players, the school and the fans. THIS GAME IS IMPT OT THE FANS...AND THE SCHOOL. He needs to embrace that...and frankly, a little pressure on kids can sometimes be good. Yes, he is correct...it doesn't affect playoff aspirations or an NCAA bid. It does effect school spirit.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone tell me why we did not call a timeout on the possession we had down by 3 with under a minute left to get Suero back into the game? They had a timeout left and I know he was struggling all night, but he's your best player and needs to be on the floor. They miss end up missing their 3 point shot and then foul. Then Suero comes back into the game down 5. I don't get that.

Honestly...I think that is a 50-50 call. While ultimately the game turned to a loss because of the missed three pointer, it was the decisions by the coaching staff and the players poor play and lack of heart that were the defining aspects of the game.

The non-timeout call is more cherry on top of a $ienaty performance.

I mean why would you want to use that timeout to set up a play with 25 sec left down 3, when you can use it after you hit a three with 3.8 sec left down 4. Still can't believe it.

First Off Siena scored 64pt including 6 pts off banked threes. (Defensively 58pts is adequate to win even this game actually 56 if there is no Flagarant on Black).

Siena gets a flagarant "T" called on Mike Black when we have the ball in our offensive end and he's gaetting hacked (2 points and possession to Siena)

Coming into this game UA gets to the FT line avg 25 FT attempts a game. It wasn't like we didn't get hit a little.

We came out and started the second half getting 4 layups in its 1st 5 possessions and comes away with no baskets and zero FTs.

Like it or not we have to live with some of Suero's shortcomings he just learning the game. he's just a raw talent right now.

It's also evident that Puk and Devlin aren't near 100% ready to play. I really feel for Luke with out them we have only 1 guy bigger then 6'5"

Extremely disappointing loss, a terrible loss but our real weakness was exposed - we got killed by not being able to body up on Walters and OD and they overpowered us on the glass

Normally agree...but in this instance, there were absolutely no in-game adjustments other than getting a guy on Hymes. I was just shocked at what I saw on the defensive end in the 2nd half. Yes, 6 pts on lucky banks...and even the throw up by Walter (or Ansokie...don't remember) with no time on the shot clock in the lane. And heck, I will even give the flagrant (that was not a flagrant foul...and even the Siena announcers were not happy that you have to go to a TV monitor to make such a call). But that is no excuse for giving up a 19 pt lead...even in a rivalry game.

That said, we will live by the Suero/Aronholt sword...and die by it. Both couldn't play defense if their life depended on it and it now doubt put pressure on the guys down low. But to give up 17 Offensive rebounds is inexcusable.

I will say this...I thought the fouls were deplorable; or the lack thereof called on Suero drives.

All in all...its just a game...and it won't hurt our seeding...it wont hurt our attendance...and it wont hurt our conference prospects.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE...is giving up big leads is becoming a problem. Forgetting some defensive adjustments that arguably could/should/maybe should have been made (and I agree that not having a Puk and Devlin at 100% hurt us in this game)...my real issue was the guys looked like they were in slow motion in the 2nd half. With a week of rest...you should not be getting beat for loose balls and nearly every offensive (defensive from our end board). It is up to the coaching staff to find a way to light a fire under these guys...and right now...having a big lead is not a plus for us.

Look...if they use this as a teaching tool...and the guys respond...it's all forgotten. But I think it hurts more because of the rivalry...and whether the team/school/or the coaching staff like or admit it...it IS A RIVALRY GAME TO MANY OF US.

Let's turn the page...and make something out of this loss. But my g-d do we need production from Luke and Puk...ASAP!!!!

I strongly disagree that this won't effect attendance. Each and every loss is effecting attendance. This one being a cross town rival will lose fans.

On top of his on floor coaching that I have issues with, CB's lack of enthusiasm is also a problem. This is not just another game. He should watch Army/Navy this weekend and take notes. That's a non conference, meaningless game too.

You may very well be right...and the loss certainly won't HELP attendance. I just feel if this team rattles off 20 wins...we will get the 1000 plus students per night that we have seen in the past.

Either way...this was, IMHO, one of the worst losses of the last 5-6 years by a UA squad. Add to that the Football loss...and I am very upset right now.

And while I do like Coach, and his family...I am very anti his whole, it's just another game. It's not. Fact is, the game is played for the coaches, the players, the school and the fans. THIS GAME IS IMPT OT THE FANS...AND THE SCHOOL. He needs to embrace that...and frankly, a little pressure on kids can sometimes be good. Yes, he is correct...it doesn't affect playoff aspirations or an NCAA bid. It does effect school spirit.

The only loss I can think of that is even remotely close was the loss in Buffalo to the terrible Canisius team. This LCC team may or may not end up quite as bad as that team, but like virtually everyone said this is an important game to win.

As far as attendance. It is a big if right now to get to 20 wins. And that is what it might take just to get back to the level of fans before yesterday's game.

UA 08'

Totally see your point...and that's why it's 50-50 call on the timeout. That call...is really just armchair QB'ing on a Monday morning. It really is a flow thing. Frankly, Suero wasnt getting a call for $iena when he was driving...and his outside game was non-existent. Yes, he needs to be on the floor statistically speaking...but I am really not sure he was mentally and game-wise able to do anything. That's why I really believe its 50-50.

To me...this game was lost in the lockerroom at half-time. I expected (and I am sure Coach Brown did try because from what I know of him...he is a fiery "I hate losing anything" guy) the staff to come up with some rousing, "WTF are you guys doing...forget the bank shot, that is luck...but you need to box out, get a guy in Hymes face...this game isn't over," speech. I also think we needed a timeout after the missed layups to start the second. Those...were well executed plays...and we just missed layups, and that happens at times. The guys needed to be calmed down and tell them to keep executing.

That said, without Devlin and Puk we have major issues down low. However, our rebounding in general was just awful last night.

The real issue was the lack of hustle...and that...is a motivation thing. If UA doesnt pound Colgate and a few of the next teams...I am going to be summarily pissed off. As a player (and a coach) I hated losing and I would break my body to try and win. I sense some of these guys--at times--just think their talent is enough, and it isn't.

This game is akin to LSU coming back and beating Kentucky in the 90's (or late 80's I forget) after being down by 30+. We were up 19...and rolling...so that's why this hurts.

I am sure, however, behind closed doors...Coach Brown, the staff, the players and their families are more heartbroken then we are. I hope they channel that and get things going again!

Precisely. Why the hell should I embrace it if he doesn't? The basketball program, and this game specifically, is entertainment and he forgets that he is part of the show. He is a bad coach and a bad actor.

I am still not sold on he is a bad coach...I do think he gets one-tracked at times.

That said, you are certainly entitled to your opinion...however with the resources he has...I think he has done enough. He may have to do more to stay...and I hope he does.

This...was not his best coaching job...and it certainly wasn't a great player performance.

Totally see your point...and that's why it's 50-50. It really is a flow thing. Frankly, Suero wasnt getting a call for $iena when he was driving...and his outside game was non-existent.

Yes, he needs to be on the floor statistically speaking...but I am really not sure he was mentally and game-wise able to do anything. That's why I really believe its 50-50.

To me...this game was lost in the lockerroom at half-time. I expected (and maybe he did try) the staff to come up with some rousing, "WTF are you guys doing...forget the bank shot...you need to box out, get a guy in Hymes face...this game isn't over," speech. I also think we needed a timeout after the missed layups to start the second. Those...were well executed plays...and we just missed layups. The guys needed to be calmed down and tell them to keep executing.

That said, without Devlin and Puk we have major issues down low. However, our rebounding in general was just awful last night.

The real issue was the lack of hustle...and that...is a motivation thing. If UA doesnt pound Colgate and a few of the next teams...I am going to be summarily pissed off. As a player (and a coach) I hated losing and I would break my body to try and win. I sense some of these guys--at times--just think their talent is enough, and it isn't.

I understand your point too, but there was no flow since the 5 min mark of the first half. Even if Suero didn't come into the game I would have still used the timeout to set up a screen for one of our shooters.

I said it before and I'll say it again, if it takes two days off to give a team a little extra motivation to go out and play a full 40 min we got some problems.

They better come out pissed off and ready to beat Colgate by 40 tomorrow.

Precisely. Why the hell should I embrace it if he doesn't? The basketball program, and this game specifically, is entertainment and he forgets that he is part of the show. He is a bad coach and a bad actor.

“It’s really disappointing,” Aronhalt said, “probably the most disappointing game of my career here. We stopped running plays, and they got everything they wanted. They wanted it more, and that disappoints me, it really does.”

Who stops running plays? Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way.

We were in 4th gear picking up speed and we hit a headwind named $iena...

instead of throwing it into 5th and pushing the pedal to the metal,

we threw it in neutral hoping the headwind would dissipate.

Another game where $iena puts full and/or 3/4 court pressure on a Will Brown coached team,

and we barely managed to break it or take advantage of it. I don't remember attacking the basketball

hoop once after breaking their press.

They decided to start kicking us in the Juevos, and we just spread our legs wider

and let them do it repeatedly.

You know this game means a boatload to everyone. Who wants to lose to those S*&%heads!

Maybe Will Brown should remember LCC in his head during the press conferences after the game.

Losers

Can't

Complain

Did you come up with that on your own? Seriously MTS even by your standards that's about as lame as it gets...and you aren't even a LCC graduate. Your account should be revoked for the sheer stupidity of that comment. I love a good barb but this...LOL.

Stick to jumping on and off the bandwagon, it's the only way your fat ass can get some exercise.

Maybe Will Brown should remember LCC in his head during the press conferences after the game.

Losers

Can't

Complain

MTS

You really should go back to wherever it is you usually are.

Like click already said, this was weak even by your standards.

But let's take what you said at face value "loser's can't complain"

How quickly do you forget.

The biggest loser $iena clown to come though this town certainly showed that losers can and do complain, refuse to shake hands, cover up DWI's , storm off the court, get tossed out of games and do countless other classless things. The coach can move out of LCC, but you still get the same reactions in the losses.

Archived