UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Hosting AE 12-13 Tournament

Just a thought. We know the Admissions Department has a difficult job. There are a large pool of applicants. Why not ask a question or two about the prospective students interest in supporting the U's atheletic teams? If we accepted more qualified students who express an interest in the sports programs we might see more student support.

I like it

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has a few years since I was a student, regretfully. There was a very noticeable anti jock attitude among the student body. I think the Atheletic Department needs to work harder and differently in making a connection with the students. Why not a party around the reflecting pool where all the coaches and atheletes attend and mingle. Get some corporate sponsors, some food and entertainment. Hand out free tickets to events. Give some things away.

Just a thought. We know the Admissions Department has a difficult job. There are a large pool of applicants. Why not ask a question or two about the prospective students interest in supporting the U's atheletic teams? If we accepted more qualified students who express an interest in the sports programs we might see more student support.

I like it

This...would be a legal firestorm.

I like it

This...would be a legal firestorm.

Not to mention a PR nightmare. Preference to students who will be (characterized as) ESPN-watching couch potatoes or degenerate sports gamblers? Some people complain that athletes get preferential treatment, let alone spectators. This isn't a military academy, or like some private schools, where sports participation is required.

I'm still amazed that we have not been able to lure students to games.over all these years.

Not having lived in Albany for many years, I've enjoyed watching many UA games via new technology. In recent years, though, I admit to having lost some interest. On Sunday I was in an airport and watched most of the UA-SB game on my laptop. I've become so cynical that the blown 10 point lead was very expected and all too familiar.

Had I never moved away, I'm sure I'd have attended hundreds of games, but I'm not sure my own enthusiasm would not have waned some by now.The disappointments, game after game, would have worn me down.

I suppose students can find more exciting things to do.

Back when I was filling out collage applications there was always a question about "what are your other interests". I would hope that the University wants students who like the arts, science, cooking, fixing antique cars, volunteering and much more. Why not pick some students who like to watch sports?

Back when I was filling out collage applications there was always a question about "what are your other interests". I would hope that the University wants students who like the arts, science, cooking, fixing antique cars, volunteering and much more. Why not pick some students who like to watch sports?

As someone else pointed out those types of questions have legal issues written all over it. I know in '02 when I applied for my undergrad there weren't questions like that.

As someone else pointed out those types of questions have legal issues written all over it. I know in '02 when I applied for my undergrad there weren't questions like that.

Coach Brown and someone else bought 400 tix for students. That's awesome. He better have none left by game time!

The 'someone else' is Michael Castellana is President of SEFCU. Also goes to the games and sits courtside. UA alum as well. And great supporter.

The Browns and SEFCU buy 400 tickets for the students. http://www.ualbanysp...TCLID=206635164

Funny (or sad) that they felt they had to include a map to show where the Phys Ed building is.

For goodness sake, if the student sections aren't filled to capacity, especially with all of the FREE tickets being given out,

it will be an embarrassment.