UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Hosting AE 12-13 Tournament

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe that there are more sports fans at one school than another. It comes down to the culture at the school and the efforts of the athletic department to build it. Media support would probbaly help too...

How many seats do the end zones fill? I assume stony brook will have students in the endzone during their game, but the students need to be there for both so it will feel like a road game for them.

About 450 on each end

I find it hard to believe that there are more sports fans at one school than another. It comes down to the culture at the school and the efforts of the athletic department to build it. Media support would probbaly help too...

I'm not sure there are a lot of schools that depend on students for the bulk of their attendance. I've read posts on the Delaware board that not many students come to their football games - and that's with a total crowd of 18-20 thousand. Same with the Ivys. New students have to be resold on it every year,and there's always more stuff to do.

Yes on media support. More local interest would be the better long-term solution. Or winning..

While I hesitate to state that I am an attorney I hasten to admit I know nothing about the "laws" surrounding the questions which a college can ask an applicant for admission. I find it incredible that a college cannot ask an applicant what their outside interests are. You have to ask such questions in order to have a diverse student body. It is not illegal to like to watch athletes perform. If it is then it has to be illegal to watch actors perform.

While I hesitate to state that I am an attorney I hasten to admit I know nothing about the "laws" surrounding the questions which a college can ask an applicant for admission. I find it incredible that a college cannot ask an applicant what their outside interests are. You have to ask such questions in order to have a diverse student body. It is not illegal to like to watch athletes perform. If it is then it has to be illegal to watch actors perform.

I know for job interviews I was taught that even asking someone their interest is looked down upon due to cases where people sue because they say they were discriminating against based on a something that has no bearing on the position. Not sure if that's true for college admissions. Wonder if private or public schools have to abide by different rules when it comes to admissions? Although I'm unsure how someone's likes or dislikes would make them a good or well rounded student due to those types of things being subjective. But who knows. Just out of curiosity I tried to look up UA's application https://www.suny.edu/student/downloads/pdf/2013_suny_application.pdf nothing special, just generic questions. Now back to the Maryland game to watch Logan on Senior Night. :)

I think the issues come into play when students are being given preferential treatment on the bases of being a sports fan... after-all, it is an academic institution above all else.

I think you are missing the slim line here; it's a public university that receives federal and state funds. While the school can choose a diverese student body, they surely cannot reject a student because they don't like sports.

That's the key.

I'm still amazed that we have not been able to lure students to games.over all these years.

Not having lived in Albany for many years, I've enjoyed watching many UA games via new technology. In recent years, though, I admit to having lost some interest. On Sunday I was in an airport and watched most of the UA-SB game on my laptop. I've become so cynical that the blown 10 point lead was very expected and all too familiar.

Had I never moved away, I'm sure I'd have attended hundreds of games, but I'm not sure my own enthusiasm would not have waned some by now.The disappointments, game after game, would have worn me down.

I suppose students can find more exciting things to do.

Think how sad it would be for you to be a "fan" of the 282 teams that haven't won 20 times this season. They must really be miserable.

Now back to the Maryland game to watch Logan on Senior Night. :)

Not his best night. Overall I think he's contributed pretty well at Maryland, better than I thought. Averaging double digit minutes in the ACC isn't too shabby.

While I hesitate to state that I am an attorney I hasten to admit I know nothing about the "laws" surrounding the questions which a college can ask an applicant for admission. I find it incredible that a college cannot ask an applicant what their outside interests are. You have to ask such questions in order to have a diverse student body. . . .

Id.

(Footnote: I believe that we are still awaiting the U.S. Supreme Court's opinion in Fisher v. University of Texas, No. 11-345 (argued Oct. 12, 2012), which involves a challenge to UT-Austin's affirmative action admissions policy. Petitioner Fisher is challenging the University's admissions policy and asking the Supreme Court to declare the admissions policy of the University inconsistent with---or, in the alternative, overrule in full or part---Grutter v. Bollinger, 539 U.S. 306 (2003), which is the 2003 landmark case in which the Supreme Court held that colleges may not use a racial quota but instead may employ a "holistic review" of an application and therefore consider race (i.e., as one of numerous factors) in the admissions process.)

Here's a New York Times article on the case if anyone is interested in learning more about it: http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

Edited by UA_MA_2000

2000, thanks. It will be interesting to see where this ends up. Using one's race as a factor in the admissions decision has always been controversial. But, using non-suspect factors has always been allowed. Colleges want students who have a wide variety of outside interests. I hope the University Admissions Office looks for students who like the performing arts. My point is, I hope the admissions people also picks some otherwise qualified students who like to watch sports.

Times-Union features on the tournament

Take some tourney time out to eat

Swan song for senior on Mike Black

Five players to watch

6-foot-9, and she's loving it Jennifer Gish column on Megan Craig

Wilkin's picks

By the numbers

AE men's capsules

AE women's capsules

Psyched to play at home in the Troy Record

Edited by UAalum72