UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

@ Hartford 1/19 7pm

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington plays tonight at 11 on ESPNU... I'll check it out, could help our RPI further.

Just got back from Hartford. Won't be able to stay up and watch that whole game, but nice to turn on the TV and say we beat both those teams in our short D1 history.

Only disapointment to me was I only made it to 1 of those games,

based on the RPI and what I see and based on historical match-ups, I see UA playing Fairfield and Vermont playing Loyola-MD. ESPN historically like to put the AE teams with the MAAC. Also, the RPI's are very similar. This is why I kinda don't care as much about this event. Kinda glad it is over with after this season.

Hawks Fizzle In Second Half, Fall To Albany, 56-46

By MIKE ANTHONY, The Hartford Courant

10:14 p.m. EST, January 19, 2013

WEST HARTFORD ——

In a recent loss at Stony Brook, the Hartford men's basketball team was particularly ineffective early. In a more recent — and more disappointing —loss at Maryland-Baltimore County, the Hawks were even worse, missing their first 19 shots.

So with that in mind, coach John Gallagher spent the last couple of days stressing the importance of starting strong Saturday at home against Albany.

The Hawks were sharp from the tip, taking a five-point lead to halftime. But the lull came in the second half.

Hartford made just four field goals after halftime and lost to Albany 56-46 in an America East game before 1,996 at Chase Family Arena. Yolonzo Moore had 18 points, but just one in the second half as Albany raised its level of play and Hartford did not.

"First half, I thought we did what we wanted to do," Gallagher said. "We got some great looks. They have four seniors on that team with tremendous experience. They came out and amped up their game plan and we did not respond like we need to."

Hartford (10-9, 3-3) has lost three in a row. Led by Peter Hooley's 18 points and 12 rebounds, Albany (16-4, 5-1) remained one of three conference teams with just one loss (Vermont, Stony Brook). The Great Danes shot just 34.5 percent but had important advantages in rebounding and free throws.

Second-half defense was the key. Albany stopped worrying so much about Mark Nwakamma, never double-teaming him and focusing their attention on the perimeter.

"We didn't want to double him because we didn't want to give up the three-ball," Albany coach Will Brown said. "As long as we got shots offensively, we didn't think they could make enough twos to beat us. We knew they could make enough threes to beat us. … In the first half, they were just in another gear and we were a step slow. We did just enough to keep ourselves in striking distance at halftime. And then I think the Albany team that's been playing most of the year showed up."

Nwakamma had 12 of Hartford's 14 second-half points. The Hawks were 4-for-20 from the field, 1-for-9 on threes in the second.

"The game got to a slower pace [in the second] and we just couldn't hit shots," Moore said. "I think we got good shots, but we want great shots."

Albany has won four in a row in the series and four in a row overall. Hartford has lost three in a row for the first time this season. Gallagher talked about this being a teachable moment, particularly for Nwakamma, who was 5-for-14.

"This isn't a negative," Gallagher said. "We took a step. The result is not the right thing, but you've got to realize that we came off the worst result since I took over here [the loss at UMBC]. When they amp it up, we know we have to take that step."

Copyright © 2013, The Hartford Courant

hc-hartford-men-0120-20130119

rating_off.jpgrating_off.jpgrating_off.jpgrating_off.jpgrating_off.jpg

12 games over .500 seems crazy to type that.

Not much crazier than typing the women are 11 games over .500 - the two hoops teams are a combined 30-7

Not to kick a dead horse; but combine the 30-7 overall with a combined 10-1 in league play and $iena gets tu front page and 1/2 another for a 30 point beating. UA men and women get about 4 columns together.

Not to kick a dead horse; but combine the 30-7 overall with a combined 10-1 in league play and $iena gets tu front page and 1/2 another for a 30 point beating. UA men and women get about 4 columns together.

Not that we should be surprised but I really just don't get it. I would think the front page story should be both UA programs and not a terrible team. If you read the Siena story the article starts with excuses about injuries for the program whose @ss they kiss. Just terrible reporting.

Great job by both teams!!! I too get caught up with the debacle that is the Times Union and if reporting on $iena is what they think the public is interested in so be it. Lets face it, its not just basketball....its mostly all of the sports and what is the one common denominator, UA kicks their ass in just about all of them. In reality the things that are important are wins and championships...lets see the Times Union report on one of those for $iena. You might be waiting a long time. With the way this year has begun, a strong spring may just bring us the commisioners trophy! Lets just keep winning!